• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    Hopefully it's a "swansong" - or more of a dead duck.
    It looks as if TTN might be returning to its Saturday 6 hour completeness from the 18th May... at least for 4 weeks.
    Mahler's Symphony no 6 'The tragic' - what? All of it?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Followed by Bruckner's "Libera me"

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Yes - 0031 to 0155.

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Skellers …… it would seem, sadly, for one day only …..

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Me getting Ahl Konfused there - I thought we were back to discussing Essential Classics!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Just very unfortunate. I was resiting my audio array and turned the radio on. Workers' Playtime: Eric Coates, Knightsbridge March. I hastily switched off.

I think I've mentioned this before (vinteuil will indicate the date and time ) that radio presenters should be like sub-editors: only mentioned when they make a mistake. Journalists may curse that their copy has been 'butchered' by a sub, but no one cares unless someone else notices that e.g. Brian Cox (physicist) has been misidentified as Brian Cox (actor). Otherwise you're just doing what you've been paid for and don't expect adulation for doing it. Just pocket the money and go home.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                Skellers …… it would seem, sadly, for one day only …..
                Ian Skelly posted these photos on Twitter & look who's replied...

Ian Skelly @Ianskellyradio3​
                Musical mimicry this morning. As I imitate a guitarist, so a violin mimics a guitar to launch our search for a playlist, all amid my collection of Essential Classics @BBCRadio3 . Join me at 9.30 with a suggestion. If you don’t, I’ll play my guitar… and you won’t want that!
                8:56 AM · May 22, 2024

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Couldn't resist cropping that lovely Ian Skelly guitarist photo...
                  Perfect to accompany the next Sam Jackson "improvement" (unless it's even more Ian Skelly, of course).

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Just very unfortunate. I was resiting my audio array and turned the radio on. Workers' Playtime: Eric Coates, Knightsbridge March. I hastily switched off.

I think I've mentioned this before (vinteuil will indicate the date and time ) that radio presenters should be like sub-editors: only mentioned when they make a mistake. Journalists may curse that their copy has been 'butchered' by a sub, but no one cares unless someone else notices that e.g. Brian Cox (physicist) has been misidentified as Brian Cox (actor). Otherwise you're just doing what you've been paid for and don't expect adulation for doing it. Just pocket the money and go home.
                    Thing is FF sub-editors are down -trodden , underpaid , exploited and hold the paper / News magazine / bulletin together. They are semi -heroic / semi- tragic figures . Whereas (some) presenters…. well don’t get me going,For some of them adulation is what sunlight is to a plant.

Comment

• hmvman
                      • Mar 2007

Just very unfortunate. I was resiting my audio array and turned the radio on. Workers' Playtime: Eric Coates, Knightsbridge March. I hastily switched off.​
                      A pedant writes:
                      Being a fan of Eric Coates I should point out that 'Knightsbridge' (from the 'London Suite') was the theme to 'In Town Tonight'. I think the 'Workers' Playtime' theme was 'Calling All Workers'.

Anorak off...

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

A pedant writes:
                        Being a fan of Eric Coates I should point out that 'Knightsbridge' (from the 'London Suite') was the theme to 'In Town Tonight'. I think the 'Workers' Playtime' theme was 'Calling All Workers'.

Anorak off...
                        Wasn't 'Calling All Workers' the theme tune for 'Music While You Work'?. 'Workers' Playtime' was a variety show broadcast at lunchtime three times a week from 'a canteen somewhere in Britain'.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Wasn't 'Calling All Workers' the theme tune for 'Music While You Work'?. 'Workers' Playtime' was a variety show broadcast at lunchtime three times a week from 'a canteen somewhere in Britain'.
                          Sorry to start a controversy by getting the programme title wrong! I don't actually know which programme I meant. On hearing it I felt it was what I would expect to hear on a vintage light entertainment show rather than Radio 3. Of course, by now it is exactly the kind of music I should expect if I switch on randomly between 06.30 and 16.00:.

Three programmes in 9½ hours, and I can choose between Petroc, Georgia and Linton.

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

L McD is quite right. I remember both programmes . 'Worker's Playtime' was hosted by Ted Ray. It is sometimes confused with 'Have a Go' which was hosted by Wilfred Pickles and his wife , Mabel. I remember the theme song from 'Have a go' but not 'Workers' Playtime'.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Sorry to start a controversy by getting the programme title wrong! I don't actually know which programme I meant. On hearing it I felt it was what I would expect to hear on a vintage light entertainment show rather than Radio 3. Of course, by now it is exactly the kind of music I should expect if I switch on randomly between 06.30 and 16.00:.

Three programmes in 9½ hours, and I can choose between Petroc, Georgia and Linton.
                              I think with Eric Coates you reach the interesting point at which “light “ music becomes something more than that . Some his music e.g. The Dambusters March are , as pieces of music , better than some of the straight forward classical music played on R3 and deserve a playing. By better I mean finer tunes , cleverly constructed harmonic progressions - there’s a lovely cycle of fifths using sevenths in the March for example. If it’s not worthy of R3 why did Sir Adrian Boult bother to record one of the best versions?
                              Calling All Workers , the theme tune for Music while You work , is also of enormous historic significance - the show being created in the darkest days of 1940 when it looked like we were pretty much losing. It was vital to sustain morale in our industrial plants as the ability to out -produce the Nazis in everything from ball bearings to bombs was key to victory in a total war . It absolutely deserves a place on Radio 3.

Comment

• hmvman
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Yes, apologies. I remembered later that it was 'Music While You Work' that had 'Calling All Workers' as the theme.

Whether Coates' music is suitable for R3 is a discussion we've had before. Once upon a time it would've had a home on R2 but not anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X