Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Treat of the day for me is "Inside Music" presented with musical literacy & intelligence by pianist Boris Giltburg, showcasing a phenomenal 50s live recording of Emil Gilels playing Medtner's G minor Sonata Op 22. Aficionados out there -- where can I get this ? Is it the one on this Brilliant Classics set ?

Comment

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
      Treat of the day for me is "Inside Music" presented with musical literacy & intelligence by pianist Boris Giltburg, showcasing a phenomenal 50s live recording of Emil Gilels playing Medtner's G minor Sonata Op 22. Aficionados out there -- where can I get this ? Is it the one on this Brilliant Classics set ?

... according to the BBC website is was the Melodiya recording - perhaps this one? -

Don't know whether it was then licensed to brilliant for their box...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... according to the BBC website is was the Melodiya recording - perhaps this one? -

Don't know whether it was then licensed to brilliant for their box...

Thanks, Vints. The Brilliant box is such a snip I'll order it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
          Thanks, Vints. The Brilliant box is such a snip I'll order it anyway.
          Gilels would pass as a good double for Nixon!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Gilels would pass as a good double for Nixon!
            Only in monochrome/B&W! There was something leonine about his stage presence, with his tawny head of hair. Either could be played by....Warren Beatty

Comment

This Inside Music with Brindley Sherratt is really interesting. He used to be a brass player and was once in the BBC singers . He’s very modest and admits to getting lost in Spem In Alium when singing for them. He is also coming up with a cracking selection of past bass masters ....

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                This Inside Music with Brindley Sherratt is really interesting. He used to be a brass player and was once in the BBC singers . He’s very modest and admits to getting lost in Spem In Alium when singing for them. He is also coming up with a cracking selection of past bass masters ....
                Wonderful speaking voice, a bit like John Tomlinson.

Comment

And like John T not a bad singing voice either....

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                    Someone on Talk Classical translated 'Spem in Alium' as 'luncheon meat in garlic.....'

Comment

A nice interview with Mr S:

Singing was never his first choice, but three decades into an internationally acclaimed career, British bass Brindley Sherratt puts pen to paper to risk a few words of advice for a younger generation

I was sure I'd heard him singing with WNO (not Rosenkavalier which, appallingly, I've never heard live), but there are 44 programmes to go through to check …
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                        Someone on Talk Classical translated 'Spem in Alium' as 'luncheon meat in garlic.....'

Comment

My disappointment on discovering that 'Pick Of The Pops' had today strayed outside the 60s soon vanished as soon as I tuned to Radio 3 and heard that wonderful pianist Mariam Batashvili presenting today's edition of 'Inside Music'. Her perceptive comments on each piece added greatly to my enjoyment (and the accent helped!). As an introduction to classical music, it could, IMHO, not be bettered.

Comment

Another excellent Inside Music today. A great selection of music, perceptively and intelligently presented by Laura van der Heijden. If she weren’t so busy, she would make an excellent regular presenter.
                            Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                              Another excellent Inside Music today. A great selection of music, perceptively and intelligently presented by Laura van der Heijden. If she weren’t so busy, she would make an excellent regular presenter.
                              https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00075dr
                              Yes I thought so too. If ever she’s short of work on the performer’s scene, which I doubt, she’ll be a fantastic presenter. Her delivery gave the impression she’d just thought of what she was going to say on the spur of the moment and wanted to share it with us. Sign her up R3 for some serious projects.

Comment

Working...
                              X