Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I can't resist giving a notice to Quercus, for Piano Trio, by Valentin Villard, broadcast this morning at about 4.45 GMT: a delightful and original piece. This age-old medium, whose golden age was over 200 years ago, occasionally sees fine new works written for it (I think particularly of Ives, Shostakovitch, Hugh Wood and Huw Watkins ) and this is, in my view another example: short but, well, not too sweet.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I can't resist giving a notice to Quercus, for Piano Trio, by Valentin Villard, broadcast this morning at about 4.45 GMT: a delightful and original piece. This age-old medium, whose golden age was over 200 years ago, occasionally sees fine new works written for it (I think particularly of Ives, Shostakovitch, Hugh Wood and Huw Watkins ) and this is, in my view another example: short but, well, not too sweet.
      Best listened to under an oak tree?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Best listened to under an oak tree?
        - subtle!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

Last night's ROH Fidelio broke the 2 hour boundary - could longer operas, e.g. Zaïs or L'Incoronazione di Poppea, be on their way back?

Austrian radio's Ö1 is now broadcasting EBU Notturno in a 5 hour slot from 1am most nights.
          They're skipping some pieces to allow for the missing hour and the addition of two news bulletins. Currently, announcements are fairly minimal.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

The second and last part of TTN on the morning of 17 February was a repeat. (I can't vouch for the first part.) I'm wondering if some cost saving is going on. Catriona made an appearance earlier that week (IIRC).

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

In my experience most 2-hour segments are repeats from somewhen. I've never minded, except when Astor Piazzolla rears his ugly head yet again.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

In my experience most 2-hour segments are repeats from somewhen. I've never minded, except when Astor Piazzolla rears his ugly head yet again.
                I'm trying to teach my radio to automatically switch off whenever anything by the 'Tango King' is about to start and switch on again as soon as the piece in question has finished.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  The second and last part of TTN on the morning of 17 February was a repeat. (I can't vouch for the first part.) I'm wondering if some cost saving is going on. Catriona made an appearance earlier that week (IIRC).
                  Yes, lovely to hear Catriona Young again last Monday - I wonder if that will be her last appearance / repeat?

"You know when you've been Tango'd!"

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

James Ehnes fans will have been pleased to discover that his performance of Walton's Violin Concerto with the BBC Philharmonic was broadcast twice yesterday, first in the Afternoon 'Concert' and later in Through the Night.

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

I enjoyed hearing 'Kafka's Earplugs' again at the start of today's programme.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Looks like Penny Gore may be replacing Catriona Young (who will be much missed) on TTN.
                        Starting Sunday 17th March & sharing with DJ.

Through the Night - The American String Quartet
                        The Calidore String Quartet celebrates eight decades of the American string quartet, from Barber's Adagio, to Caroline Shaw's Three Essays, including music by Charles Washington and Wynton Marsalis. Penny Gore presents.​

Eagerly awaiting the April schedules to see if Saturday's TTN will be restored to 6 hours...

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

That's good news. Penny will be a good TTN presenter, fitting in well with the other three. Just think who we might have been lumbered with! I wouldn't want to stop hearing the one Radio 3 programme I do always hear.

Comment

• hmvman
                            • Mar 2007

If I were a betting man I'd have laid money on this. It seems like the all the good, 'older' R3 presenters end up on TTN. But, yes, this is good news and hopefully TTN will continue to be the little haven of sanity on British radio.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

DJ has found her voice for TTN and, though very different from Jonathan and John in presentation, has her own style. She also pops up in continuity elsewhere on R3 which, as far as I know, the two men don't. I believe she has a small child so timetabling work and family life must be tricky. Welcome, Penny Gore!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                                Host
                                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                                If I were a betting man I'd have laid money on this. It seems like the all the good, 'older' R3 presenters end up on TTN. But, yes, this is good news and hopefully TTN will continue to be the little haven of sanity on British radio.
                                I wonder if there's any chance of Catherine Bott coming back to R3? I'd love to hear her on TTN.

Comment

Working...
                                X