Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly no, not when I was there! I was looking forward to seeing the cats but they were keeping a low profile during my visit.
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Any SW readers may care to go to the Oxfam shop in Liskeard. They have recently been given several hundred Naxos CDs and have even had to put up extra shelves. My mate and I have already got all the best ones but there are a good number left. The range is from popular classics up to Lutoslawski, Penderecki and other C20 composers via some pretty obscure C19 stuff. Single discs all at £2.99.

Was rather chuffed with something else on their rack: the Ashkenazy/ Kertesz Mozart pf conc's 8/9 plus concert rondo: 99p. Delightful, but then I'm a sucker for K271: for me vastly preferable to K466 & 491. (Retires behind armour-plated sofa)
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Any SW readers may care to go to the Oxfam shop in Liskeard. They have recently been given several hundred Naxos CDs and have even had to put up extra shelves. My mate and I have already got all the best ones but there are a good number left. The range is from popular classics up to Lutoslawski, Penderecki and other C20 composers via some pretty obscure C19 stuff. Single discs all at £2.99.

Was rather chuffed with something else on their rack: the Ashkenazy/ Kertesz Mozart pf conc's 8/9 plus concert rondo: 99p. Delightful, but then I'm a sucker for K271: for me vastly preferable to K466 & 491. (Retires behind armour-plated sofa)
        No need to hide! It was Brendel's favourite as well!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post

Looks good LMP but don't think I'll get that far East in the next few weeks!

Comment

K271 would be a desert island disc for me . I am very fond of the Schiff/Vegh account .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
              K271 would be a desert island disc for me . I am very fond of the Schiff/Vegh account .
              One of my favourites too, Barbs

And no wonder that Alfred Brendel chose to play it with VPO/Mackerras as his final concert concerto.
              Last edited by Guest; 30-09-14, 09:47. Reason: no wonder

Comment

A surprisingly varied haul from a quick tour of Newquay this afternoon: three LPs: the Decca SXL Giulini Mozart Symphs 40/41 (apparently not one of his best), Lyrita George Lloyd Symph 8 and DG Michelangeli LvB Sonata #4 Op 7 - total £7.97. (Will I finally experience a radical conversion to Geo. Lloyd?? Still, the Lyrita recording quality might be an independent pleasure...)

On CD, Lyrita Wordsworth Symphs 2 & 3, a Sony Vivarte anthology/ sampler of Huelgas Ensemble/ van Nevel recordings, and Ashkenazy in K488 & 595. £1 each!

And the Penguin "Complete Richard Hannay" for a squid too
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

O.k., being a BHF shop, they were not rock-bottom price (all CDs, including Gramophone cover discs and the like, are £2.99 each for single discs), however, the one in Windsor which I very occasionally check out has recently had an influx of interesting stuff. Lots of 'new(ish) music', Adès, Aho, Firsova, Gubaidulina, Kancheli, Kilar, MacMillan, Rautavaara, Rorem, Rubbra, Schnittke, Sculthorpe, Terteryan, Ustvolskaya, Vasks, Zhukov, etc. plus some Sidney Bechet (Blue Note) and Laurie Anderson. Over the past 2 days I have spent £65.78 in there, and am goning back tomorrow to look for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    O.k., being a BHF shop, they were not rock-bottom price (all CDs, including Gramophone cover discs and the like, are £2.99 each for single discs), however, the one in Windsor which I very occasionally check out has recently had an influx of interesting stuff. Lots of 'new(ish) music', Adès, Aho, Firsova, Gubaidulina, Kancheli, Kilar, MacMillan, Rautavaara, Rorem, Rubbra, Schnittke, Sculthorpe, Terteryan, Ustvolskaya, Vasks, Zhukov, etc. plus some Sidney Bechet (Blue Note) and Laurie Anderson. Over the past 2 days I have spent £65.78 in there, and am goning back tomorrow to look for more.
                    What a rich seam, Bryn!

Take you miner's lamp tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      What a rich seam, Bryn!

Take you[r] miner's lamp tomorrow
                      I would have missed most of them had I not thought to peruse the 'pop' shelves on the off chance of a disc getting misfiled there. Sure enough, there were loads of them, including the Adès, Aho, Firsova, Gubaidulina, Rorem, Terteryan and Zhukov. My guess is that whoever filled the shelves had not the slightest clue what the content of the discs was.

Comment

I would have missed most of them had I not thought to peruse the 'pop' shelves on the off chance of a disc getting misfiled there. Sure enough, there were loads of them, including the Adès, Aho, Firsova, Gubaidulina, Rorem, Terteryan and Zhukov. My guess is that whoever filled the shelves had not the slightest clue what the content of the discs was.
                        You have identified the lot of the charity shop browser there, Bryn.

Comment

Windsor ? Hmmm m...must check journey plans for this week.

Actually even the pop shelves yield the occasional gem.
                          Picked up the first LCD soundsystem double LP for A quid this week, a very decent buy indeed.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Fantastic! Well done.

Isn't it great when that happens?!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Windsor ? Hmmm m...must check journey plans for this week.

Picked up the first LCD soundsystem double LP for A quid this week, a very decent buy indeed.
                              Save your time, teams - Bryn seems to be doing a pretty thorough job there

You'll be left with the usual Rihanna and Haircut 100!

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                I think I'd have to listen to K271 a few times after 5-10 minutes of such material, or go and lie down in a quiet and darkened room! I wouldn't want to play with paper planes, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X