Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
    Victor Borge was always terrible, but this type of musical spoof stuff nearly always is. I'd make a small exception for Anna Russell though. I've always liked her summing up of French art songs- " No voice, but tremendous artistry ! "
    I'm have to issue a minority report here - I find Victor Borge to be very funny, time-after-time.

To each her/his own!

Comment

Victor Borge was always terrible, but this type of musical spoof stuff nearly always is. I'd make a small exception for Anna Russell though. I've always liked her summing up of French art songs- " No voice, but tremendous artistry ! "
      We'll have to be the Spratts here! I've no time for her, but am a great fan of VB.

I will admit that, as with some other comedians, he's someone you have to feel 'in sympathy with', in which case you can forgive some of his foibles and repetitions. (I almost wish I hadn't gone to see him in Eastbourne in his later years, when age had taken its toll.) When we heard him fresh in the fifties he was at his best, I think.

Comment

However funny he may or may not be, does his humour work at breakfast time?

Comment

Absolutely not! We agree there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofcachap View Post
            However funny he may or may not be, does his humour work at breakfast time?
            I agree there Ofca.

In fact I want to be ready for him, that is, I want to choose when I hear him.

Nothing worse than aspirated muesli
            Last edited by Guest; 08-05-11, 15:01. Reason: muesli trypo

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Nothing worse than aspirated muesli
              Or phonetically punctuated toast (the crumbs get everywhere)

Comment

Just bought Klemperer's EMI Fidelio for £3 in a local charity shop!! Also there at the same price was Karl Böhm's Tristan und Isolde but I already have that.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I think I may have swept my Surrey patch clean now. This years bargains-
                  Full set Mahler DVDs (Abbado Lucerne) £20 Oxfam;
                  Mahler 6 SACD (Gergiev) £1-50 Cancer Research;
                  Mahler 6 (Mackerras) £1 BHF;
                  Mahler 5 (Mackerras) £2 Hospice;
                  Elgar 2 (Sargent) £1 Cancer Research;
                  Barber Knoxville 1915 £1 Oxfam;
                  Barber Violin Concerto £1 Car Boot;
                  Mahler 2 (Rattle) £2 Barnardo's;
                  Mahler 3 (Rattle) £2 Barnardo's;
                  Mahler 8 (Tennstedt) £2 Barnardo's (Good day that!);
                  SACD Sampler (Two disc) £1-50 Cancer Research;
                  Various HMV Classics £1 each (the going rate) Car Boot.

As a result of this success, I've donated (Gift aid) many of my surplus CDs (mainly to Oxfam), bit of a tidy up!

Comment

Todays bargain was Rachmaninov Sym. 2 Gergiev/LSO SACD @ the local Barnardos for two quid!

I wasn't previously a Rach. fan i.e. not heard it! But this sounds absolutely georgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt
                      >>>We all love these places, don't we?
                      Not particularly

>>>We can spend our money freely, knowing its going to a good cause.
                      Well certainly keeps quite a number of charity managers and ceos in a nice job

>>rather than vanishing into the capacious pockets of some invisible capitalist ( aka those disappeared off to the south of france, local bookshop & record store owners ).
                      I'm not quite sure what you are driving at, but I do voluntary work for a registered charity, and like all charities it is required to publish audited accounts. Naturally, administration costs are a part, but for charities like Oxfam this is kept small, with much emphasis on volunteer help. The same thing applies to other charities that I support. It's surely better to do something of practical use, sneering achieves very little.

Comment

I'm not quite sure what you are driving at, but I do voluntary work for a registered charity, and like all charities it is required to publish audited accounts. Naturally, administration costs are a part, but for charities like Oxfam this is kept small, with much emphasis on volunteer help. The same thing applies to other charities that I support. It's surely better to do something of practical use, sneering achieves very little.

Comment

Apologies to all for being off-message.

Comment

A surprising haul from the Bracknell Oxfam Shop last Saturday:

Rainy Season Ragas: Desh Malhar, Mian Ki Malhar and Malika (Aashish Khan and Zakir Hussain): £1.99
                            Anthogy "AL-ALA", Musique Andaluci-Marocaine (7 CD set): £4.99
                            7 other single ethnomusicological CDs of music from cultures around the world (none of it 'World Music' pop, however): £1.99 each
                            Holst's The Planets, etc. (RLPO/Mackerras): £1.99
                            Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique (Hallé/Barbirolli), etc,: £1.99

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              A surprising haul from the Bracknell Oxfam Shop last Saturday:

Rainy Season Ragas: Desh Malhar, Mian Ki Malhar and Malika (Aashish Khan and Zakir Hussain): £1.99
                              Anthogy "AL-ALA", Musique Andaluci-Marocaine (7 CD set): £4.99
                              7 other single ethnomusicological CDs of music from cultures around the world (none of it 'World Music' pop, however): £1.99 each
                              Holst's The Planets, etc. (RLPO/Mackerras): £1.99
                              Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique (Hallé/Barbirolli), etc,: £1.99
                              Nice haul, Bryn. Is Egham on your beat? There are four or five charity shops there with material that might be of interest (Sadly I haven't visited since Summer). I found Camberly rather good too but its allways very much pot luck.

Comment

Egham is on my way to/from work when I use the car, and I have friends who live there. Must give it a try soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X