Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

For 50p - just to hear what it was like - Schubert 9 with the TblisiSO conducted by Jansug Kakhidze and whilst it will not replace Krips , Furtwangler, Jochum or others on my shelves it is quite a good performance.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      For 50p - just to hear what it was like - Schubert 9 with the TblisiSO conducted by Jansug Kakhidze and whilst it will not replace Krips , Furtwangler, Jochum or others on my shelves it is quite a good performance.
      When you think it costs £8 a day to watch tv in hospital ... a bargain indeed!

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Misuko Uchida’s Schubert integrale (8CDs) for £4.00 today in Harrogate.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
          Misuko Uchida’s Schubert integrale (8CDs) for £4.00 today in Harrogate.
          Fantastic!

Comment

• alycidon
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            Fantastic!
            Gosh! Aren’t you the lucky one. I manage to pick up the odd one here and there in Inverness if I am lucky! Hundreds of CDs in the various charity shops but hardly any classical at all.
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Conchis
              Banned
              • Jun 2014

Today, in Northwich: as new, still in shrink-wrap and looking somewhat forlorn on its shelf.....Pablo Casals: the Complete Published EMI Recordings, 1926-1955’...... for all of £2.99.

Merry Christmas!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                Today, in Northwich: as new, still in shrink-wrap and looking somewhat forlorn on its shelf.....Pablo Casals: the Complete Published EMI Recordings, 1926-1955’...... for all of £2.99.

Merry Christmas!

Fantastic! Happy listening!

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Somewhat OT, in that these were not primarily music items but a bunch of Blu-rays at 50p each:

Michael Keaton's Beetlejuice
                  John Carpenter's The Thing
                  Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes
                  Jim Sharman's The Rocky Horror Picture Show
                  Tim Burton's Sweeny Todd (at least that has some musical interest).
                  Season 5 of Futurama
                  Steven Speilberg's Back to the Future Trilogy.
                  Spielberg's, Johnston's and Trevorrow's Jurassic Park Collection.

All in "As New" condition. I know I can find acquaintances happy to receive them. I'll be keeping Beetlejuice, Sweeny Todd and Futurama though.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Oxfam, Kensington High Street on Tuesday afternoon, Thea Musgrave: Turbulent Landscapes CD + Janacek: Piano Music (Charles Owen). Not rock-bottom bargains, at £2.99 each, but well worth investigating:

Comment

• Mal
                      • Dec 2016

Three Yo Yo Ma CDs, N/LN for £1 at Milton Keynes bowl car sale last Sunday morning. I'm not sure about Yo Yo Ma, but 3 for £1 worth a punt... "Yo Yo Ma plays Baroque" seemed like a bad idea; and, on listening, it was, but worth 33p to confirm this.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

At 50p for the two a Melody Gardot and a Courtney Pine CD.

Comment

• Mal
                          • Dec 2016

I once walked into a charity shop in Edinburgh and found 20 double CDs for sale. 25p each! Alas, EVERY SINGLE ONE had the second disc missing! Ah well...
                          Is someone rationalising his CD collection by getting rid of the bad CD in his two-fers?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                            Is someone rationalising his CD collection by getting rid of the bad CD in his two-fers?
                            Well, iirc, some were the second discs of a big symphony such as Mahler3!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Well, iirc, some were the second discs of a big symphony such as Mahler3!
                              Hmmm. This seems a little ... eccentric! Were the double sets in slimline jewel cases? (I'm wondering if an inexperienced Charity Shop worker was told to remove all the discs from the cases before putting them on the shelves, and didn't realize that there were two in each? A number of Charity Shops around here keep the discs in a box behind the counter to prevent theft - if this is the case here, maybe all the Second Discs have been treated this way?)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Hmmm. This seems a little ... eccentric! Where the double sets in slimline jewel cases? (I'm wondering if an inexperienced Charity Shop worker was told to remove all the discs from the cases before putting them on the shelves, and didn't realize that there were two in each? A number of Charity Shops around here keep the discs in a box behind the counter to prevent theft - if this is the case here, maybe all the Second Discs have been treated this way?)

No. I did ask but was told they were handed in that way. The shop didn't have a policy of removing discs. I can only assume the original donor had lost them.

Comment

Working...
                                X