Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowt so queer as folk!

(How does anyone lose every other CD in their twofer collection?! Lady Bracknell would've had something to say!)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Nowt so queer as folk!

Comment

My own experience from working in a charity shop is that we're rapidly approaching the stage when we won't be able to give away CDs and DVDs. Consequently, we just put them on the shelves in their cases.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          My own experience from working in a charity shop is that we're rapidly approaching the stage when we won't be able to give away CDs and DVDs. Consequently, we just put them on the shelves in their cases.
          Some shops don't sell them now since they take up too much space. Mind you, I was in Oxfam, Stockbridge, Edinburgh this morning and there were sets going for £40!! And these overpriced sets do sell! To whom, I'm not sure.

Comment

Today, in the Bracknell Sjopmobility shop, the DVDs of the Carlos Kleiber Der Rosenkavalier. The helper tried to charge me 50p, pro rata for a single disc, so I had to put her right and advise that it was two DVDs, not just the one. A steal at £1, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Today, in the Bracknell Sjopmobility shop, the DVDs of the Carlos Kleiber Der Rosenkavalier. The helper tried to charge me 50p, pro rata for a single disc, so I had to put her right and advise that it was two DVDs, not just the one. A steal at £1, anyway.
              Gwyneth Jones, or Felicity Lott?

Comment

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                Gwyneth Jones, or Felicity Lott?
                The latter. Strangely, amazon.co.uk's search facility does not find the former via "Kleiber der Rosenkavalier DVD", but does via "Jones der Rosenkavalier DVD"

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  The latter. Strangely, amazon.co.uk's search facility does not find the former via "Kleiber der Rosenkavalier DVD", but does via "Jones der Rosenkavalier DVD"
                  Mahler 1 / Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen / Kubelik / Fischer-Dieskau 50 p
                  Vaughan Williams 3rd and 5th /Boult / New Philharmonia / LPO 75 p

Comment

Today, in the disgusting urban pustule of post-industrial decay that calls itself 'Stoke on Trent', a brief visit yielded:

Jean Yve Thibaudet - Opera Without Words

Alice Coote/Julius Drake - Mahler/Schumann/Haydn recital

Sarah Connolly - Schumann Recital

Dmitri Hvorostovsky - Verdi/Tchaikovsky Arias

All for 20p each.

Comment

Today, in the disgusting urban pustule of post-industrial decay that calls itself 'Stoke on Trent', a brief visit yielded:

Jean Yve Thibaudet - Opera Without Words

Alice Coote/Julius Drake - Mahler/Schumann/Haydn recital

Sarah Connolly - Schumann Recital

Dmitri Hvorostovsky - Verdi/Tchaikovsky Arias

All for 20p each.
                      Well I hope you gave 'em a quid and said...

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Well I hope you gave 'em a quid and said...
                        They were advertised as 25p each but when I presented my quid to the sales assistant, she gave me a twenty pence piece along with my receipt. I was too stunned to offer it back, but apparently they had a 'sale' on and nobody else was going to liberate these little beauties from the horrible home they'd been dumped in, so I accepted the 20p as my 'Samaritan' fee for visiting this revolting place in the first instance.

Comment

They were advertised as 25p each but when I presented my quid to the sales assistant, she gave me a twenty pence piece along with my receipt. I was too stunned to offer it back, but apparently they had a 'sale' on and nobody else was going to liberate these little beauties from the horrible home they'd been dumped in, so I accepted the 20p as my 'Samaritan' fee for visiting this revolting place in the first instance.
                          So you might have had 5 if you’d known they were 20p!

In Camborne I happily spent a whole £1 on a Hyperion CD of the Coull Quartet+ playing Dvorak Op77 String Quintet and the SQ Op51 plus Notturno Op40.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            So you might have had 5 if you’d known they were 20p!
                            There was a Marie McLaughlin Strauss CD there as well, but I thought I'd pass as I'm already overburdened with Strauss lieder.

Comment

Haydn Opus 54 string quartets with The Lindsays - 99p
                              5-disc set of 10 Mozart string quartets with the Alban Berg Quartet - £4.99

Comment

Not a disc but a book, today. The Sadie with Latham Cambridge Music Guide of 1985 (hardback) in 'as new' condition (£2). That's £1 cheaper than a 'very good' condition option via Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                X