Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked up Haitink's 1979 recording of Bruckner 7 in Nottingham this week - 99p.

I know some people don't rate this performance, but I think it's one of the best. Haitink is one of the few conductors who can actually make something of the final movement.

Comment

In Buxton yesterday, I found a Karajan Tchaikovsky twofer (PC1 with Berman/VC with Ferras, Pathetique and R&J Overture) for a quid. Thought this would contain some duplications for me, but it turns out not: the Pathetique is his 1964 recording, not the seventies one from von K's complete survey. A bargain at £1.00.

Comment

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
        In Buxton yesterday, I found a Karajan Tchaikovsky twofer (PC1 with Berman/VC with Ferras, Pathetique and R&J Overture) for a quid. Thought this would contain some duplications for me, but it turns out not: the Pathetique is his 1964 recording, not the seventies one from von K's complete survey. A bargain at £1.00.
        Looks like a good buy, Ferras’ recordings seem to be more difficult to get at a decent price these days.

Comment

Andrew Barnett's "Sibelius" for £2.99 in a local Oxfam (£35 new, elsewhere). I would never have the time to absorb nor the funds to purchase multiple instalments of Erik Tawastjerna's massively comprehensive biog, but this single volume does contain scholarly commentary on practically all of Sibelius' works & will augment my youthfully-acquired & now considerably dog-eared copy of Bob Layton's survey in the Master Musicians imprint. Tempted by Radiohead's OK Computer for £1.99 in the same shop but was gripped by fatal indecision...

Comment

Today, in Alfreton, I picked up a performance of Mahler 6 by the RAI (Orchestra Sinfonica Nationale) conducted by Yutaka Sado, a conductor I''d never heard of before. 2 discs, still in shrink-wrap, for 50p. Worth a punt, I thought. Anyone know anything about this? Amazon doesn't even have it listed.

Comment

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
              Today, in Alfreton, I picked up a performance of Mahler 6 by the RAI (Orchestra Sinfonica Nationale) conducted by Yutaka Sado, a conductor I''d never heard of before. 2 discs, still in shrink-wrap, for 50p. Worth a punt, I thought. Anyone know anything about this? Amazon doesn't even have it listed.
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yutaka_Sado

Comment

Thanks!

The performance is currently nearing its end. I'd say it's well-paced and the conductor obviously knows what he's doing but the lack of sumptuousness of this orchestra does at times make me yearn for the Karajan/BPO recording (which Norman Lebrecht would probably cite as evidence of how much I've been corrupted!).

Comment

I've bought so many CDs, books and DVDs from charity shops recently that I'm running out of storage space.
                  Should I consider a short extension?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                    I've bought so many CDs, books and DVDs from charity shops recently that I'm running out of storage space.
                    A while back Mrs LMP laid it down that we aren't building any more extensions, so book and disc purchases were henceforth to be on a One In One Out basis

So I'm now reduced to smuggling them in under the supermarket shopping...

Just had a trip to Aberystwyth as Daughter #2's likely Uni base. A couple of CD purchases

but the charity shops in Aber really know how to charge! OK, one is used to this from any Oxfam but the Haydn, 2 CDs admittedly, was £4 from British Red Cross which down here typically charges 50p or £1 a disc! It had a lot of other nice stuff at far higher prices, which I'm sure were easily beatable on Mktplace.
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

No, a short break from purchasing or a purge on what you’ve got. The extension would soon be filled and you’d be no further ahead. I have to admit that is a do as I say instruction not a do as I do. The incurable addiction lives on!
                      ...and yes LMP we are well blessed with reasonably priced CDs in our charity shops - in a recent transgression over the border I als found stuff in Princetown, Ashburton and Tavistock.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        ...and yes LMP we are well blessed with reasonably priced CDs in our charity shops - in a recent transgression over the border I als found stuff in Princetown, Ashburton and Tavistock.
                        cloughie: I managed a dash to Tavy last week. There was a big (new?) local-charity shop (TASS?) stuffed with books and classical LPs/ CDs at elevated prices which didn't quite manage to tempt me, but I helped their funds a tad as they had miniature scores of Noye's Fludde and the Berg violin concerto at £2 a throw

If challenged by Mrs LMP on 'One In One Out' I shall hold that miniature scores are neither books nor discs

Never found anything worthwhile in Princetown, must give Ashburton more attention. Another visit to the Dart Valley Rly seems called for
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          cloughie: I managed a dash to Tavy last week. There was a big (new?) local-charity shop (TASS?) stuffed with books and classical LPs/ CDs at elevated prices which didn't quite manage to tempt me, but I helped their funds a tad as they had miniature scores of Noye's Fludde and the Berg violin concerto at £2 a throw

If challenged by Mrs LMP on 'One In One Out' I shall hold that miniature scores are neither books nor discs

Never found anything worthwhile in Princetown, must give Ashburton more attention. Another visit to the Dart Valley Rly seems called for
                          My Princetown purchases were more for my non-classical shelves, but the 3 for a pound added 5cds and a book for Mrs C - not a bad £2 worth - I found similarly to you in TASS - nothing I wanted in the Classical section but I got 5 for £1 in the non-classical. Perhaps with your 1 in 1 out policy we should do ‘swopsies’ with our duplicates!

Comment

... on Saturday visited the recently opened after impressive refurbishment 'country house' of John Soane in Ealing -

Check out all the events and exhibitions we have coming up at Pitzhanger.

- and found opposite two oxfam shops, one for books one for CDs/audio : from which latter -

Wagner Fliegender Hollander Clemens Krauss £1.99
                            Rossini Ermione (opera rara) £2.99

An excellent day. Pitzhanger and oxfam both highly recommended...

Comment

Rip the CDs to computer files, then put the CDs into plastic boxes to go in the garage or loft - or under the bed ***.

Someone I know had a problem with shoes. She kept them in her car and may actually have had 18 pairs “stored” there on one occasion. Then again, I once knew someone who had about 20 cars - just think how much “stuff” you could store in those!

*** Doesn’t actually work - I tried that, but the “solution” is only short lived, and the “problem” comes back to bite after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Rip the CDs to computer files, then put the CDs into plastic boxes to go in the garage or loft - or under the bed ***.

Someone I know had a problem with shoes. She kept them in her car and may actually have had 18 pairs “stored” there on one occasion. Then again, I once knew someone who had about 20 cars - just think how much “stuff” you could store in those!

*** Doesn’t actually work - I tried that, but the “solution” is only short lived, and the “problem” comes back to bite after a while.
                                I might persuade the lady wife to let me apply for a long extension if we can achieve some sort of union concerning my media purchasing customs. She has promised not to back 'stop' as an alternative.

Comment

Working...
                                X