Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rolmill View Post
    My first chance to join this thread, so poor are the charity shops in Tunbridge Wells (for classical CDs that is), but I just bought the 2008 Sixteen recording of Messiah (with some lovely singing from Carolyn Sampson) for £3. All those hours spent trawling finally vindicated!
    Bravo Rolmill - patience rewarded!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Bravo Rolmill - patience rewarded!
      Not quite the way my wife expressed it....

Comment

Not a charity shop, but our local library. "Die Frau ohne Schatten" with Birgit Nilsson, Leonie Rysanek, Ruth Hesse, James King and Walter Berry, with the Vienna State Opera and Chorus, conducted by Karl Böhm. A box set with 3 LPs and booklet, in excellent condition. Only borrowed seven times, the first in Feb 86, the last in Oct 87. For 25 years it's been in the library's store - which finally they are clearing out. Cost - 50p!

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
          Not a charity shop, but our local library. "Die Frau ohne Schatten" with Birgit Nilsson, Leonie Rysanek, Ruth Hesse, James King and Walter Berry, with the Vienna State Opera and Chorus, conducted by Karl Böhm. A box set with 3 LPs and booklet, in excellent condition. Only borrowed seven times, the first in Feb 86, the last in Oct 87. For 25 years it's been in the library's store - which finally they are clearing out. Cost - 50p!
          25 years! Thank goodness it's found a good home now. Hope it plays alright.

Today, £2.49 for Annie Fischer in Mozart PC 22 (coupled with 21): my favourite performance of that work by a long way, when I had it on LP. It's been a long wait to find it on CD.
          Also Kubelik and VPO in Ma Vlast, a Decca recording from 1959, on a Belart CD for £1.99.

Comment

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
            25 years! Thank goodness it's found a good home now. Hope it plays alright.

Today, £2.49 for Annie Fischer in Mozart PC 22 (coupled with 21): my favourite performance of that work by a long way, when I had it on LP. It's been a long wait to find it on CD.
            Also Kubelik and VPO in Ma Vlast, a Decca recording from 1959, on a Belart CD for £1.99.
            Hiya silvestrione, As usual all I saw today were James Last, Sugar Babes and Richard Clayderman CDs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              Hiya silvestrione, As usual all I saw today were James Last, Sugar Babes and Richard Clayderman CDs.
              Hi Stanfordian. Yes, a bit soul-destroying...I'd keep trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                What! No Kylie!!!

Comment

Week after week, month after month I find ... nothing

And then today I found :

Webern: Complete works LSO/Boulez & Juilliard quartet 3 CDs and a stonking booklet with an essay by Humphrey Searle £2.99

BBC MM CDs @ £1.99 each, unopened

Schumann: Piano concerto Vogt/BBCSSO/Noseda & Symphony no.2 BBCPhil/Noseda

Tchaikovsky: Symphony no. 2 (Little Russian); Balakirev Tamara; Arensky Variations on a Theme of TchaikovskyBBC Phil/Noseda; Ulster Orch/Anissimov; Ulster Orch/Takuo Yuasa

BBC MM opened £0.99

Berlioz: Les Nuits d'été Katarina Karneus/BBCPhil/Sinaisky + Berlioz overtures

Oh what a happy chap am I!

Comment

Result , Ams .

The Webern looks scrummy !!

Enjoy !!
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

& where did you find this excess of riches, ams?

Comment

ok, not a charity shop buy, but if you have a PC, the internet and a 20p blank CDR, you can have the symphony of Robert Barclay- Wilson.

You can help keep this more or less forgotten composer's name alive by giving copies to your friends, and put a few bob into a charity box as a goodwill gesture for the freebie.
                        sweet.
                        everyone's a winner.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          & where did you find this excess of riches, ams?
                          One of the many charity shops on the Kilburn High Road, Flossie

I kid you not, this is the very first time I've scored some interesting CDs there

By way of contrast, the choice of books is pretty good in most of them.

Comment

As I'll be in London for a couple of weeks from near the end of February, I hope to "do" a few charity shops - anyone offer any advice as to where decent ones are? Only stipulation: in London only. Classical music only.

Thanks all......

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                              As I'll be in London for a couple of weeks from near the end of February, I hope to "do" a few charity shops - anyone offer any advice as to where decent ones are? Only stipulation: in London only. Classical music only.

Thanks all......
                              My experience of London charity shops is that they offer little more than the meagre pickings for classical music fans as most other towns and cities. Which begs the question: what really happens to all those CDs when somebody shuffles off this mortal coil?

For a good selection of second hand CDs in London (some of them my own unwanteds ) try Foyles in Charing Cross Road, Harold Moores in Great Marlborough Street or Gramex in Lower Marsh (near Waterloo Station and the Old Vic). I've picked up some terrific stuff from all of them as well as handing in my duplications and making a bit of money.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                .....Foyles in Charing Cross Road, Harold Moores in Great Marlborough Street or Gramex in Lower Marsh (near Waterloo Station and the Old Vic). I've picked up some terrific stuff from all of them as well as handing in my duplications and making a bit of money.
                                Thank you Petrushka. Gramex, I know very well.... I've taken a few CDs there, but last time he didn't want two of them; Mozart syms 40 & 41, (Bernstein, VPO, DG) and Radu Lupu playing the three ubiquitous LvB piano sonatas......

I'll no doubt be in there again in a few weeks

Comment

Working...
                                X