Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another cracking performance of this concerto is that by Julia Fischer with Kreizberg on Pentatone .Gorgeous playing from soloist and orchestra .

Comment

Thread resuscitation alert but after IGI once of this forum made young Daniel Lozakovich’s recording of the Tchaikovsky his very favourite in the recent Gramophone collection I ordered a copy as it was going for £6 .

The outer movements are fine though I have heard first movements that are more exciting and dynamic but there is an exceptional account of the Canzonetta which sometimes just sounds pretty but here is played with great emotion and tenderness but with no syrup .

Look forward to listening to it again.

Comment

IGI’s Gramophone article was interesting. Since starting this thread (almost 7 years ago!) I’ve listened a few times to Lisa Batiasvili’s recording with Barenboim and the Staatskapelle Berlin. It wasn’t among IGI’s recommendations. What do any of the forum experts think?
        Last edited by DoctorT; 11-02-23, 11:36. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I can't recall hearing Lisa Batiashvili, I'm afraid, but then, I'n not an 'expert'.

As a man of another century, I go back to Elman/Boult and Heifetz/Barbirolli; Huberman sometimes a little too sweet. I often wonder how Adolf Brodsky played it and if we'd enjoy hearing him if we could.

Comment

Heifetz/Reiner, Oistrakh/Ormandy are still my go tos, although I have several more

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              I can't recall hearing Lisa Batiashvili, I'm afraid, but then, I'n not an 'expert'.
              From reading your posts smittims I would definitely regard you as an expert! Compared to me at any rate…

Comment

No, no, I never claim to know anything.

I had to be careful not to confuse your lady with Leila Josefovicz, one of a number of excellent young female violin soloists around today, including Jennifer Frautschi, Alina Ibragimova, Tamsin Waley-Cohen, Tai Murray and Chloe Hanslip. I hope they're all finding work; it seems to be a crowded profession.

Comment

I really enjoyed a recent broadcast performance of this work by Janine Jansons. About a week ago on R3 - some interesting and unusual touches in that performance.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                    No, no, I never claim to know anything.

I had to be careful not to confuse your lady with Leila Josefovicz, one of a number of excellent young female violin soloists around today, including Jennifer Frautschi, Alina Ibragimova, Tamsin Waley-Cohen, Tai Murray and Chloe Hanslip. I hope they're all finding work; it seems to be a crowded profession.
                    and Hilary Hahn, Patricia Kopachinskaja, Jennifer Pike, Nicola Benedetti, Tianwa Yang, Vilda Frang, Baiba Skride, Arabella Steinbacher, Sarah Chang, Lisa Batiashwilli, Janine Jansen etc etc.

Comment

...not forgetting Elena Urioste, who has given fine performances of the Elgar Concerto and Sonata.

Thanks for reminding me of Jennifer Pike, who has also done good service to Elgar's violin works.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                        IGI’s Gramophone article was interesting. Since starting this thread (almost 7 years ago!) I’ve listened a few times to Lisa Batiasvili’s recording with Barenboim and the Staatskapelle Berlin. It wasn’t among IGI’s recommendations. What do any of the forum experts think?
                        I really like it and the Sibelius with which it is coupled not quite sure why IGi not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                          and Hilary Hahn, Patricia Kopachinskaja, Jennifer Pike, Nicola Benedetti, Tianwa Yang, Vilda Frang, Baiba Skride, Arabella Steinbacher, Sarah Chang, Lisa Batiashwilli, Janine Jansen etc etc.
                          And Francesca Dego, whom I had the privilege of seeing a few weeks ago with her husband Daniele Rustioni and the Ulster Orchestra playing Busoni’s VC. She has been recording Mozart with Sir Roger Norrington

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            Heifetz/Reiner, Oistrakh/Ormandy are still my go tos, although I have several more
                            Oistrakh/Ormandy - what a marvel of a record .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              Oistrakh/Ormandy - what a marvel of a record .
                              Yes indeed, Oistrakh was always very special in the Tchaikovsky and his recording with Konwitschny has also always been close to my heart as it was one of my earliest LPs.

Comment

Working...
                              X