No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    David Oistrakh in the first VC, with Mitropolous and the NY Phil
    That performance and the Mravinsky are so good that they have spoiled the concerto for me in other player's hands. They truly are definitive performances.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      David Oistrakh in the first VC, with Mitropolous and the NY Phil
      The classic of classics.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by mahlerei View Post
        Downloaders might like to know that Mravinsky's pitch-corrected DSCH8 is available from Qobuz:

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/sho.../5055354411502
        No reason to download as you can just stream it. This is my first acquaintance with this recording. My intro to the Eighth was Paavo Bergland and Bournemouth (I think), though Previn and Kitaenko are the ones that I have played the most. Sonically this won't win any prize, although it is listenable; I wonder how the incorrectly pitched one must have sounded. As a performance it is very brooding, but it was curious to hear the big crunchy cords that end the opening slow introduction, about 12 minutes in, sound so mush mouthed hear. A conscious choice by the conductor, or a recording artefact? That is a moment of intensity for me that falls curiously flat here

Comment

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the complete String Quartets played by the Borodin Quartet on EMI. Fabulous playing!

Comment

Symphony No. 10 played by the SNO under Neemi Jarvi on Chandos. Absolutely phenomenal performance, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
              Symphony No. 10 played by the SNO under Neemi Jarvi on Chandos. Absolutely phenomenal performance, imho.
              I recall picking up a copy of that, along with several other Chandos full-price CDs, from a kiosk/stall in one of the alleyways off of Charing Cross Road, back in the late 1980s. Not bad at £3 each.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I recall picking up a copy of that, along with several other Chandos full-price CDs, from a kiosk/stall in one of the alleyways off of Charing Cross Road, back in the late 1980s. Not bad at £3 each.
                I've got that on a Boots 'own label' CD - remember those? Good bargains were to be had. Can't recall exactly how much but a lot less than Chandos full price

Course, it don't look quite so impressive on ve shelves but hey
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                  I've got that on a Boots 'own label' CD - remember those? Good bargains were to be had. Can't recall exactly how much but a lot less than Chandos full price

Course, it don't look quite so impressive on ve shelves but hey
                  I remember buying a fair few of those Boota own label CDs when Boots pulled out of the market and sold them off at a heavy discount. Some fine re-issues from well-regarded independent labels.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                    That performance and the Mravinsky are so good that they have spoiled the concerto for me in other player's hands. They truly are definitive performances.
                    Why not try the Gramophone Concerto Record of the Year 2021....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovic...rpt=ABIS_MUSIC

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Quite agree, though I still go back to Oistrakh/Kondrashin for the 2nd.

Comment

I hope to buy this.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I enjoyed it but I miss the astonishing intensity that Oistrakh generated in both concertos.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                            Agreed in fact all his SNO Shostakovich symphonies are terrific - just a shame he jumped ship to DG before finishing the cycle.

Comment

Working...
                            X