X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andy2112
    • Nov 2016

Parry symphony no. 5

A new work for me, which I adored when I heard it earlier in this year's Proms. However, cant find a recommendation in my trusty BAL spreadsheet. Any suggestions for a CD of this wonderful piece? Thanks.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Boult.

I believe this was his last recording.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Andy2112 View Post
      A new work for me, which I adored when I heard it earlier in this year's Proms. However, cant find a recommendation in my trusty BAL spreadsheet. Any suggestions for a CD of this wonderful piece? Thanks.
      There are only two recordings. The LPO is conducted by Sir Adrian Boult (his last recording session) on EMI/Warner, or by Matthias Bamert on Chandos. The Boult has the more interesting accompanying Parry works.

[edit] It looks as if the Boult is available new only in a box. Here's the Bamert:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8035151--parry-symphony-no-5-elegy-for-brahms-from-death-to-life
      Last edited by Pabmusic; 03-08-18, 07:15.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

As far as I know, Andy, it's only ever been recorded twice - first by Boult in 1978, then by Bambert in 1991; both with the LPO. Both are good, neither easily available, and so both only available individually at silly prices. As an example of prices, from Amazon, the cheapest way to get the Boult (which I think is the better performance) is as part of a 5 CD compilation of Parry, Elgar, and Stanford works (just under £12.50 new, including P&P):

... otherwise individually the CD is about £35:

Bambert is £75 new, £20 "used" (or £7.49 for the MP3):

... or you can get the Bambert boxed set of all the Symphonies for around £42:

Other sellers may have cheaper copies available.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Can you perhaps mention the Boult CD in passing as your birthday approaches (or Christmas if that's earlier)? it's a really wonderful selection of pieces, beautifully played and recorded. I won't rub salt in the wound by telling you how much I paid for it in a local charity shop....
          (The Prom in question is now available on YouTube)

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Or, for £19, the box set - Boult - "The Complete Conductor - From Tchaikovsky to Gershwin"

I've come to realise how good he was, in all kinds of repertoire, not just RVW, Elgar etc.

p.s - for anyone wanting to "listen again" after the iPlayer is no longer available, will be able to find it on Naxos Music Library - if they can access it via library or instititution (or subscribe):
            As to NML generally http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-library/page2. (Also various posts as to how to search for recordings on other posts there).
            For the Boult recording, in this set-
            Use Ring menu (grey bar near top of Home Page) - LABELS - Warner Classics Parlophone - Initial "B" - Page 54 - British Composers - ELGAR, E. / STANFORD, C.V. / PARRY, C.H. (Cat No 5099909542259)
            Bamert - LABELS - Chandos - Initial "P" - Page 2. (Other Symphonies there, and on page one, the complete Symphonies set).
            Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 03-08-18, 10:54.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

It will presumably remain on YouTube for ever unless somebody has it taken down - something which I've rarely if ever encountered with uploaded Proms.

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

It amazes me that a work of this quality has only received two recordings.
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Wychwood
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                  Yes. Boult's recording was acclaimed by Trevor Harvey in Gramophone, November 1979, as an "absolutely authoritative and commanding performance". The last paragraph of his review struck an elegiac and poignant note:

This, sad to say, may well be Sir Adrian's last recording from EMI. He could not have made his bow more impressively than by giving us this unknown music by a composer so dear to his heart; and the willingness to learn new scores is characteristic, for however well he may have known them in general, to know them enough to give interpretations of this authority is something very different. Our readers, and all music lovers, will want to thank him for all he has given us over so many years. We owe him a debt that can never be repaid but can be thankful that modern recording preserves his art so splendidly for generations yet to come.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wychwood View Post
                    Yes. Boult's recording was acclaimed by Trevor Harvey in Gramophone, November 1979, as an "absolutely authoritative and commanding performance". The last paragraph of his review struck an elegiac and poignant note:

This, sad to say, may well be Sir Adrian's last recording from EMI. He could not have made his bow more impressively than by giving us this unknown music by a composer so dear to his heart; and the willingness to learn new scores is characteristic, for however well he may have known them in general, to know them enough to give interpretations of this authority is something very different. Our readers, and all music lovers, will want to thank him for all he has given us over so many years. We owe him a debt that can never be repaid but can be thankful that modern recording preserves his art so splendidly for generations yet to come.
                    Yet he was not completely played out. He was to conduct Elgar's Sanguine Fan in the theatre pit.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

The 10-CD Boult set is certainly a bargain in financial terms, but I've already got one recording of The Planets and really don't want another 3.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                        Warner Classics, Chandos and Naxos, makes three!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          Warner Classics, Chandos and Naxos, makes three!
                          NAXOS???? If there is such a recording, Bbm, the company is keeping it secret on their own website:

Learn more about the albums and works by Hubert Parry 25628 available at Naxos. Buy now or listen for free.

... only the Second Symphony recorded (so far) by them.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            NAXOS???? If there is such a recording, Bbm, the company is keeping it secret on their own website:

Learn more about the albums and works by Hubert Parry 25628 available at Naxos. Buy now or listen for free.

... only the Second Symphony recorded (so far) by them.
                            There were two conpanies that began cycles, but gave up after a single release. Naxos with Andrew Penny (2nd) and Nimbus with William Boughton (1). Then there was the Luxemburgers no. 3 on Forlane. And thatt's it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                              • Sep 2012

The Bamert/LPO available as a FLAC download from Presto for $7.20 US

Comment

Working...
                              X