Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw Graham Rickson's review of the new mega-set of Barbirolli at The Arts Desk:

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
      Just saw Graham Rickson's review of the new mega-set of Barbirolli at The Arts Desk:

https://theartsdesk.com/classical-mu...ohn-barbirolli
      Heh, heh! What an irony the reference to the horn obligato in Mahler's 5th is.

Comment

NYT profile of Barbirolli, with an understandable NYC angle as to Barbirolli's time there (FWIW, I think that David Allen, the article author, is a Brit):

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          All the old Duos now are Decca and Gergiev’s and Uncle Bernie and Colin Davis, once mainstays of the Philips label now bear the Decca Red and Blue though Mercury and DGG still use their own stamps!
          Yes, my boxset of 'Colin Davis - the Philips Years' is on Decca...

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
            NYT profile of Barbirolli, with an understandable NYC angle as to Barbirolli's time there (FWIW, I think that David Allen, the article author, is a Brit):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/13/a...lharmonic.html
            Thanks very much for that.

I liked the quote "He was a brilliant cellist, and he could make his string sections sing like no one else, drawing out the longest of lines with the fullest of bows, swooping from note to note in defiance of all fashion. What he conducted, he conducted with heart. You either get him, or you don’t"

Comment

Originally posted by vibratoforever View Post
              Thanks very much for that.

I liked the quote "He was a brilliant cellist, and he could make his string sections sing like no one else, drawing out the longest of lines with the fullest of bows, swooping from note to note in defiance of all fashion. What he conducted, he conducted with heart. You either get him, or you don’t"
              I know he was cross when some VPO members sent substitutes but I never heard that he did not get on with the VPO as the writer states .

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Indeed!

Who is Graham Rickson?

Comment

Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I know he was cross when some VPO members sent substitutes but I never heard that he did not get on with the VPO as the writer states .
                    That was new one on me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Michael Kennedy's biography of JB reported some issues post-war but nothing when he returned in the sixties. Whilst recording the Brahms symphonies there was a concert, performed twice. It included Mozart 36 ( available on Youtube), Debussy's La Mer (issued on Hunt) and Brahms Symphony 4 (only circulated privately but swifter than the studio recording). Charles Reid's JB biography includes some adverse comments from him about the VPO and the Debussy.

Comment

However, I do think that Graham Rickson ( himself a horn player based in the North of England) is actually right. IMV it IS the best played horn obligato on disc (by Nicholas Busch, now late). I can't believe that it was Sir John's fault that the inept editing of the tapes that became the EMI LPs resulted in the loss of several bars of the horn solo. How fortuitous it was, that the same superb horn player, over 40 years later, was available and willing to record those missing bars in Watford Town Hall, so that this great recorded performance finally became 'complete'.

Comment

Re: the Big Warner Box

A member asked me if I knew of a anywhere where one can download the individual cover artwork for the CDs in the box.

Just in case anyone else might be interested I've uploaded a zip file containing the 109 individual jpg files, all roughly 1000x1000 pixels. These are based on scans I did last year or so ago. In a few I've replaced the jarring Warner's logo with the original Little Nipper. (I really should get out more.)

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Removing the lions was an act of vandalism - I fondly remember JB appearing from between them acknowledging the orchestra and his performances of the National Anthem were applause worthy before the concert proper began. Were you there when there were severe gales in Sheffield probably Feb 1962 - Tchaikovsky 6 was very atmospheric as the wind could be heard in the roof vents in the quiet passages. There were countless works that I grew to love by first hearing them there.
                            Nice reminiscence, Cloughie. Your memory is not to be sniffed-at, either. Only slightly out on your dates - the concert you recall was (according to Raymond Holden's "Barbirolli: A Chronicle of a Career") on 12 January 1962 at City Hall, Sheffield, and consisted of:-

Rimsky-Korsakov: Overture to The Maid of Pskov
                            Liadov: The Enchanted Lake
                            Prokofiev: Concerto for piano and orchestra, No. 5 (soloist: Sergio Perticaroli)
                            Interval
                            Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 Pathetique

Happy Easter!
                            Karafan.
                            "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                              Nice reminiscence, Cloughie. Your memory is not to be sniffed-at, either. Only slightly out on your dates - the concert you recall was (according to Raymond Holden's "Barbirolli: A Chronicle of a Career") on 12 January 1962 at City Hall, Sheffield, and consisted of:-

Rimsky-Korsakov: Overture to The Maid of Pskov
                              Liadov: The Enchanted Lake
                              Prokofiev: Concerto for piano and orchestra, No. 5 (soloist: Sergio Perticaroli)
                              Interval
                              Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 Pathetique

Happy Easter! Cheers
                              Karafan.
                              Thanks for the comment, Karafan. My memory is not good enough to remember what was played in the 1st half but then it was 59 years ago and I probably was too young to be ready for the Prokofiev!
                              Happy Easter to you too.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                                Re: the Big Warner Box

A member asked me if I knew of a anywhere where one can download the individual cover artwork for the CDs in the box.

Just in case anyone else might be interested I've uploaded a zip file containing the 109 individual jpg files, all roughly 1000x1000 pixels. These are based on scans I did last year or so ago. In a few I've replaced the jarring Warner's logo with the original Little Nipper. (I really should get out more.)

https://app.box.com/s/3rliopq4o14igduow00oh2ax1nw1o4nb
                                I can see all the files in Box - all very enticing but I cannot open them - tried on ipad and on Windows 10 pc.

Comment

Working...
                                X