Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I can see all the files in Box - all very enticing but I cannot open them - tried on ipad and on Windows 10 pc.
    That is because the individual files are zipped into one zip file as I thought it would be easier to download a single file. What you can see is a list of the contents of the zip file.

Click on the "Download" button (at the top) to download the zip file, then you need to unzip it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      That is because the individual files are zipped into one zip file as I thought it would be easier to download a single file. What you can see is a list of the contents of the zip file.

Click on the "Download" button (at the top) to download the zip file, then you need to unzip it.
      Thanks, got it - not a regular Box user.
      Last edited by cloughie; 02-04-21, 21:37.

Comment

There appears to be a recording missing from the Warner big box. I only noticed this when I read a "Dog and Trumpet" advertisement that stated that Barbirolli recorded Elgar's Enigma Variations three times. This surprised me, because I felt sure I had four versions. I checked, and found that the first of the two 1947 EMI recordings had been omitted. This is inexplicable, as other "unreleased" recordings are in the set, and there's nothing at all to gripe about the missing version, released in a 2001 Dutton/Barbirolli Society 2 CD set.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          There appears to be a recording missing from the Warner big box. I only noticed this when I read a "Dog and Trumpet" advertisement that stated that Barbirolli recorded Elgar's Enigma Variations three times. This surprised me, because I felt sure I had four versions. I checked, and found that the first of the two 1947 EMI recordings had been omitted. This is inexplicable, as other "unreleased" recordings are in the set, and there's nothing at all to gripe about the missing version, released in a 2001 Dutton/Barbirolli Society 2 CD set.
          interesting, Alpie. I’d better check I have that, as I recently invested in the big Warner box.
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Can you clarify what you mean by two 1947 recordings? Michael Kennedy, in his notes to the Dutton release, states that JB recorded the Enigma three times and makes no mention of an unreleased 1947 recording. This is included as disc 9 in the Warner boxed set, recorded on Oct 23 1947, the same date as provided by Dutton.

JB's second Enigma was recorded on June 21 & 23 1956 and is disc 23 in the box.

The final Enigma recording was with the Philharmonia and recorded on May 9 & August 27 1962. This is disc 44 in the box.

As far as I can make out and I've not missed anything, all three recordings are therefore included in the Warner box.
            Last edited by Petrushka; 02-04-21, 23:46. Reason: tidy up
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Can you clarify what you mean by two 1947 recordings? Michael Kennedy, in his notes to the Dutton release, states that JB recorded the Enigma three times and makes no mention of an unreleased 1947 recording. This is included as disc 9 in the boxed set, recorded on Oct 23 1947.

JB's second Enigma was recorded on June 21 & 23 1956 and is disc 23 in the box.

The final Enigma recording was with the Philharmonia and recorded on May 9 & August 27 1962. This is disc 44 in the box.

All three recordings are therefore included in the Warner box. No date is given in the Dutton release for the 1947 recording but there is a JB Elgar discography at the back of the Dutton and it appears to be identical to disc 9 in Warner with the same date given in both.
              To clarify, I quote from Michael Kennedy’s notes in the CDSJB 1022 album:

“This album contains something of a scoop in that the recording of Elgar’s Enigma Variations was made on 12 May 1947, the first time Barbirolli recorded the work. For some undiscoverable reason, the discs were never issued and the work was re-recorded on 23 October of the same year (reissued on CD by the Society on CDSJB 1017).”

Comment

To clarify, I quote from Michael Kennedy’s notes in the CDSJB 1022 album:

“This album contains something of a scoop in that the recording of Elgar’s Enigma Variations was made on 12 May 1947, the first time Barbirolli recorded the work. For some undiscoverable reason, the discs were never issued and the work was re-recorded on 23 October of the same year (reissued on CD by the Society on CDSJB 1017).”
                Thanks, that makes things a lot clearer, as I was unaware of the existence of CDSJB 1022 and was referring to MK's notes in the previous issue, CDSJB1017. I wonder how Dutton or the JB Society managed to get hold of unpublished recordings that no-one appears to know existed? Is there additional information in the booklet that casts any more light on this? Yet another Enigma to attach to all the others associated with the piece!
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Three new Barbirolli society CDs out in May . Exciting stuff a du Pre Elgar in Moscow in 1967 is coupled with the Campoli/Barbirolli Sibelius spotted as being recorded in the book of his concerts but which did not appear to be retained by the British Sound Archive , a Gerontius in Rome with Jon Vickers and Constance Shacklock and a Britten CD which includes a performance of the Britten Violin Concerto with the late Ralph Holmes no less. I cannot wait .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    Three new Barbirolli society CDs out in May . Exciting stuff a du Pre Elgar in Moscow in 1967 is coupled with the Campoli/Barbirolli Sibelius spotted as being recorded in the book of his concerts but which did not appear to be retained by the British Sound Archive , a Gerontius in Rome with Jon Vickers and Constance Shacklock and a Britten CD which includes a performance of the Britten Violin Concerto with the late Ralph Holmes no less. I cannot wait .
                    Accompanying the audio cd of the Elgar and Sibelius concertos, is a dvd video of the Sibelius. Surviving film of Barbirolli conducting in concerts is rare despite him having performed on television many times.

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                      Re: the Big Warner Box

A member asked me if I knew of a anywhere where one can download the individual cover artwork for the CDs in the box.

Just in case anyone else might be interested I've uploaded a zip file containing the 109 individual jpg files, all roughly 1000x1000 pixels. These are based on scans I did last year or so ago. In a few I've replaced the jarring Warner's logo with the original Little Nipper. (I really should get out more.)

https://app.box.com/s/3rliopq4o14igduow00oh2ax1nw1o4nb
                      I must again thank you for your efforts in providing the excel files along with the cover photos. They are priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastorales View Post
                        I must again thank you for your efforts in providing the excel files along with the cover photos. They are priceless.
                        Reduced to £129 on Presto . I have finally succumbed.

Comment

Surprised it took you so long.

Comment

A good price. I am almost sorry I did not wait the 28 months and save around £16.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              A good price. I am almost sorry I did not wait the 28 months and save around £16.
                              I’m never too sure with these mammoth sets.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Almost too much of a good thing and more suited to a public collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X