Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry - my reference to 2 channel only should also have said that they were not hybrid SACD/CD but very much playable only via an SACD player. Sony comes up with some great technology from time to time but then shoots itself in the foot by restricting its market, in this case presumably to try to get everyone to jump straight to SACD, junking their CD player en route. If they had made the discs SACD/CD hybrids, I think that they would have had wider appeal, sold more copies and then got people more interested in the idea of buying an SACD player.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Sorry - my reference to 2 channel only should also have said that they were not hybrid SACD/CD but very much playable only via an SACD player. Sony comes up with some great technology from time to time but then shoots itself in the foot by restricting its market, in this case presumably to try to get everyone to jump straight to SACD, junking their CD player en route. If they had made the discs SACD/CD hybrids, I think that they would have had wider appeal, sold more copies and then got people more interested in the idea of buying an SACD player.
      HighlandDougie
      Interesting to hear that the Sony CDs are, as I suspected, good quality. 2 channel doesn't matter - most of them were only ever 2 channel (even if multi-miked). I'm guessing that they're mostly only available used now. Do you have any pointers as to where to get these? Should we just keep looking at eBay?

Comment

PS: This is the kind of thing which seems to at least try for high prices. The used ones are even more - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r=1-10&seller= Similar situation for Brahms 4, Beethoven 6 and maybe a few others. £66 plus ... new £80 plus used!

Comment

Dave

It's worth trying the US amazon site (www.amazon.com) as they seem to have at least some of them in stock for reasonable (c. £12) prices. They - US Amazon - are pretty good at sending stuff across the Atlantic (that's where my Bernstein Symphony Edition came from). I'm in France at the moment and the SACDs are in Scotland. When I get back at the end of next week, I'll see what I've got - I did have a small number of duplicates - and if I can I'll send some on to you.

HD

Comment

My last CD purchase was the Hyperion, Osborne, Rachmaninov preludes Disc. Surprisingly hard going.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              PS: This is the kind of thing which seems to at least try for high prices. The used ones are even more - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...r=1-10&seller= Similar situation for Brahms 4, Beethoven 6 and maybe a few others. £66 plus ... new £80 plus used!
              Yes, the hard-to-find and OOP titles sell for silly money. You could have a look at sa-cd.net and post requests or seek info there.

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                My last CD purchase was the Hyperion, Osborne, Rachmaninov preludes Disc. Surprisingly hard going.
                But ultimately well worth the effort.

My latest purchases are rather a mixed bag -

Dvorak/Tchiakovsky - Serenades for Strings (ASMF, Marriner)
                Rossini - Petite Messe Solennelle (CBSO Chorus/Halsey)
                Judith Weir - The Welcome Arrival of Rain, etc (BBC SO, Brabbins)
                2011 New Year's Day Concert (VPO, Welser-Most).

Re. another thread - why exactly do we tend to refer to women composers by their full names and men by their last?!

Pre-ordered from MDT - Mahler 2 (BPO, Rattle).

Comment

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
                  But ultimately well worth the effort.
                  What sort of effort is that?

Comment

Vaughan Williams - Symphony no 5 Previn, EMI

Comment

Mahler 5 - Abbado/Lucerne 2004 (DVD).

Comment

The Seascapes Hybrid SACD arrived today, though I missed it at first as it had been pushed under a mat by the packages which followed it through the letterbox. A very fine bargain, if not quite as much so as The Real Chopin.

Comment

A few bargains from hmv.com: the HMV Gieseking Icon box for about £1 a disc, and vol 12 of the Brilliant Leusink Bach cntatas (5 CDs, £2.99!).

Plus the Hyperion King Purcell secular songs set for £12.99, which probably isn't as great a bargain but will hopefully afford plenty of listening pleasure.
                          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Eh?

The Gieseking Icon box is 8 discs for £25.99, that's a bit more than £1 a disc, unless you can offer a link to an £8 offer.

Comment

Bryn

A bargain indeed, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I still do. Very envious about The Chopin, but then Amazon are very casual about their pricing these days. Looking forward to trying two Blu-rays - the Corigliano Circus Maximus and Maazel's Ring without words.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Eh?

The Gieseking Icon box is 8 discs for £25.99, that's a bit more than £1 a disc, unless you can offer a link to an £8 offer.

The Gieseking Icon box is available new and sealed from an Amazon seller for £9.98.

Comment

Working...
                                X