Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the doormat when I got home this evening, Mozart's KV466 and KV 467 (Arthur Schoonderwoerd/Cristofori). It's in the player awaiting the end of the Now Show (yes, I know, I know). However, I am rather annoyed to find that Accent have opted to a daft digipack gate-fold with the 36 page booklet stuffed into a slot, the sides of which had already split before I even got the plastic film wrapper off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      On the doormat when I got home this evening, Mozart's KV466 and KV 467 (Arthur Schoonderwoerd/Cristofori). It's in the player awaiting the end of the Now Show (yes, I know, I know). However, I am rather annoyed to find that Accent have opted to a daft digipack gate-fold with the 36 page booklet stuffed into a slot, the sides of which had already split before I even got the plastic film wrapper off.
      Why do they do that? I know plastic cases break, but can be replaced and preserve the inserts long-term!

Comment

Don't get me started on Digipaks; they're scuffed and torn in no time. Even less acceptable when premium labels such as Channel insist on using them.

Comment

The John Tilbury John Cage Sonatas and Interludes - for which I've been searching for some time at a reasonable price, finally found via German Amazon marketplace.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            The John Tilbury John Cage Sonatas and Interludes - for which I've been searching for some time at a reasonable price, finally found via German Amazon marketplace.
            You might like to rip and re-edit the tracks, HD. See the relevant customer review on amazon.co.uk. A minor annoyance, but a real one if you want to listen to Sonatas 10 and 11 individually.

I am amazed at what they are asking for it. It was going for about a fiver not so long ago.

I hope you did not pay more than this:

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Why do they do that? I know plastic cases break, but can be replaced and preserve the inserts long-term!
              My feeling entirely. I have yet to receive a digipak which doesn't arrive damaged. Yet another triumph of design over common sense!!

Comment

Just arrived today :-

Elgar Violin Concerto - Bean / Groves and Zukerman / Barenboim - my 2 favourite versions of this wonderful concerto to replace copies " borrowed " by others !
                Dvorak Symphonies 1 - 9 conducted by Otmar Suitner on Berlin Classics
                Schubert - String Quintet in C major - Aeolian Qt etc on Regis

Recently purchased and currently listening to :-

Reichenauer concertos - music from 18th C Prague - Musica Florea - lively and stimulating , will be exploring more from this series
                Borodin - Syms 1 - 3 NPO / Loris Tjeknavorian - superb performances of underrated symphonies
                Zemlinsky - Lyric Symphony / Eschenbach - brilliantly recorded Capriccio SACD - musically....I need to give it more time
                Suppe - Overtures - ASMF / Marriner - a little ' light cavalry ' etc to let off steam !

Comment

Schubert - String Quintet in C major - Aeolian Qt etc on Regis
                  A wonderful performance. It was one of my first LP purchases on the old Saga label.

I am awaiting a CD of Rameau Les Indes Galantes and Dardanus Suites performed by the Collegium Aureum. I am sadly lacking in recordings of music by this composer.

Comment

Originally posted by aeolium View Post

I am awaiting a CD of Rameau Les Indes Galantes and Dardanus Suites performed by the Collegium Aureum. I am sadly lacking in recordings of music by this composer.
                    Much looked down on by certain critics when released as it was never written in this way by Rameau himself. Think Minkowski doing a sort of Stokowski with Rameau but without tinkering with Rameau's orchestration.

It has some great music on it, stylishly performed by musicians who clearly love playing it. It's a CD I play often, particularly if I feel in the need of being cheered up.

Comment

Mahler 9 (GMJO/Abbado) Blu-ray
                      Věc Makropulos (Salonen/WP) Blu-ray

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                        Věc Makropulos (Salonen/WP) Blu-ray
                        Ah. Just received my copy a couple of days ago. To be honest I'm glad it's a review copy...but I hope you think the production is more successful than I do?
                        Great to hear the WP playing this piece again - though my first impressions are that Salonen is no Mackerras in this work.

Comment

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
                          My feeling entirely. I have yet to receive a digipak which doesn't arrive damaged. Yet another triumph of design over common sense!!
                          I've not yet bought a second-hand one where the slot for the booklet wasn't torn.
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                            I've not yet bought a second-hand one where the slot for the booklet wasn't torn.
                            I heartily agree - Death to all digipacks! (Before they get to the suppliers, not when they get to us).

I'm just listening to my recent purchase of the Weiss/Kaplan/Newman Trio's recording of the Brahms Op.8 Piano Trio on Bridge. I was always a great fan of the Golub/Kaplan/Carr Trio, and this CD received an excellent revue in Fanfare. It seems to be shaping up pretty well in the first movement, but I'm not sure it will ever oust the Stern/Istomin/Rose recording for me - with that great barn-storming performance which I just can't get out of my head whenever I hear the work. Luckily we can easily possess more than one one recording, and I'm enjoying it with my (fairly) unbiased ear. (I reserve the right to get the S/I/R out afterwards for full discharge of gratification, though. )

The coupling is the Smetana Piano Trio, which doesn't get all that many outings, though I do seem to have five recordings on CD already. Always room for another to go with Amati, Beaux Arts, Fontenay, Joachim and Oistrakh/Oborin/Knushevitsky.

Comment

Another annoying digipak on the Faust Beethoven disc - you can get the booklet out but back in ???

Comment

The most recent, but as yet unplayed CDs have been Giulini's Bach B minor Mass, and the British Symphonic Collection which arrived a few days ago.

I did pick up The Bartered Bride in a charity shop last week, and enjoyed listening to that yesterday. It is a 2 CD Supraphon conducted by Chalabala - seemingly from 1995 - http://www.supraphon.com/en/catalogu...?idtitulu=1433 Not bad, even at the now inflated prices (£3) charged by the charity shop, though I went there more when I could get 3 for £1!

Comment

Working...
                                X