Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
    For me - the Classical Record Shop (Graham Bennett and a colleague ran it) in the Merrion Centre, Leeds
    Ah, yes: I spent a good deal of my student time (and money) in the shop - 'tho' in the 70s it was on Albion Street.

Seaford Music in Eastbourne, anyone?

Time & Tune in Skipton; Swales in Haverfordwest; Dawson's Music Shop on Manningham Road in Bradford ...
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

... I seem to remember we have had a similar thread before - in which various contributors were nostalgic for Jussieu Classique on rue Linné in the fifth arrondissement....

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... I seem to remember we have had a similar thread before - in which various contributors were nostalgic for Jussieu Classique on rue Linné in the fifth arrondissement....
        Ah! my mint copy of the deleted 'FNAC Music' edition of Handel's 'Scipione' by Rousset/Les Talens - my best second-hand "find" ever, celebrated with a Suze-cassis and a Gauloise or two in Place Monge afterwards!

...Que reste-t-il de ces beaux jours?
        Une photo, vieille photo
        De ma jeunesse
        Que reste-t-il des billets doux
        Des mois d' avril, des rendez-vous?
        Un souvenir qui me poursuit
        Sans cesse

You know what I'm talking about, vindepays!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Rival Records in Bath , Subway and Henry's in Southampton were my faves . All rock and roll but hey.....
          Rival was the coolest place in the world as far as I was concerned.

Bath Compact disc are still holding their end up .......Good to see.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Bath Compact disc are still holding their end up .......Good to see
            furthermore their proprietor is a ( very fine) HORN PLAYER!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Ah, yes: I spent a good deal of my student time (and money) in the shop - 'tho' in the 70s it was on Albion Street.

Seaford Music in Eastbourne, anyone?

Time & Tune in Skipton; Swales in Haverfordwest; Dawson's Music Shop on Manningham Road in Bradford ...
              Yes, I don't recall it on Albion Street, but you're spot on as I remember Graham saying that was where they used to be.

Dawson's Ferney? I don't remember that at all on Manningham Lane. Whereabouts was it? Latterly Woods Music shop moved there but sadly they are no more either.

K.
              "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                Anybody remember the AVGARDE GALLERY in Manchester, Brasennose Street? Run by the knowledgable and infinitely courteous Denis Baxter - who is now, by the way, the Vice-President of the Manchester and Lancs Family History Society.
                I remember it well. I used to spend all my pocket money there, aided and abetted by the equally knowledgeable John Mayall.
                I used to work there, ( the AG) as a schoolboy of 17, on Saturday afternoons.
                In that case, I probably know you.
                Avgarde Gallery went downhill when they moved to the posh new shop, playing loud pop music.

Comment

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                  Dawson's Ferney? I don't remember that at all on Manningham Lane. Whereabouts was it? Latterly Woods Music shop moved there but sadly they are no more either.
                  K.
                  Woods it was, Karafan (which sounds vaguely Robert Robinsonesque!) - the last I heard it was a "White Goods" store: fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.

Comment

And Reidy's ("Home of Music") in Blackburn: how are the mighty fallen - two large stores in the '60s, '70s and '80s; one selling Pianos and Sheet Music, the other Records and other instruments. Now just the one shop for instruments. The last CDs sold there about four years ago: the first LP I bought from them was in 1976 (Oistrach/PCO/Cluytens, Beethoven Violin Concerto) and the last CD in their "closing-down sale" - Nono's Prometeo (EMI/Metzmacher) over thirty years later.
                    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 18-07-12, 20:35.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Woods it was, Karafan (which sounds vaguely Robert Robinsonesque!) - the last I heard it was a "White Goods" store: fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.
                      'Tis sadly true. We seem to live in a world where a hulking ice cube-dispensing monstrosity is valued more highly than Mozart's entire output.....
                      "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Anyone for Oxford record shops c1972? The 'proper' Blackwells Music Shop in Holywell St, Taphouses in St Giles, Garon records down near Magadalen Bridge before it moved into the Covered Market nr 'Jelinex'. And one I can't recall the name of just down George St. Got into a good conversation with another enthusiast in the shop and only belatedly realised he was buying every single record I said was good! should have worked out a commission deal with the proprietor beforehand

And Winchester. Whitwams in the Upper High St, Suttons (a short-lived branch of the - still going? - Salisbury one) in Southgate St where I worked a few vac's and made so much use of staff discount that I had little money to take back and see me through the following term's raids on Blackwells (even occasionally for non-music text books on the subjects I was supposed to be studying). And Teague & King which was split between LPs and pianos down closer to the cathedral, of blessed memory for me as that's where I bought the Silvestri Elgar In the South. Happy days!
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Anybody remember the AVGARDE GALLERY in Manchester, Brasennose Street? Run by the knowledgable and infinitely courteous Denis Baxter - who is now, by the way, the Vice-President of the Manchester and Lancs Family History Society.
                          I used to work there, ( the AG) as a schoolboy of 17, on Saturday afternoons.
                          Other Manchester shops where I spent far too much money were 'RARE RECORDS' in St Ann's Square and of course GIBBS somewhere fairly close to the town centre. (sigh... )
                          Ah Gibbs (Charlotte Street,city centre) brings back memories.
                          I spent far too much time and money in there.
                          Rare records in Wilmslow I used to frequent,not sure if it's still going.

Comment

furthermore their proprietor is a ( very fine) HORN PLAYER!

well I may well pop in tomorrow, as I am in that neck of the woods, and exchange some horn based pleasantries !!(although i'm not sure I know any really, but will give it a go !!)
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Ah Gibbs (Charlotte Street,city centre) brings back memories.
                              I spent far too much time and money in there.
                              Aah, yes Rob, Gibbs in Manchester - lovely atmosphere. And I recall a place across a busy road near-ish-by run by a chap with a prosthetic hand and frequented by students but they had a good number of classical discs.

Also a quaint little place down a backstreet in the student quarter of Headingley, Leeds next to a below-street-level bookshop called "Bookside" (well, it was the 80s!).

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                John Mayall migrated there from Avgarde Gallery (via Virgin Records in Stockport).

Comment

Working...
                                X