Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember The Classical Record Shop in both Albion Street and The Merrion Centre and, after a move to Sheffield, all the shops previously mentioned, especially Violet May's. Probably the most influential shop on my collecting mania was the Liverpool Record Exchange when I was a student in 1958-1960. I well remember buying my first Beethoven Piano Concerto cycle there on Fontana 10" discs with Serkin and Ormandy which, together with the Toscanini Symphonies, moulded my approach to Beethoven performance until the present time. Occasional visits to London always included EMG, and I still enjoy reading some copies of their much missed "Monthly Letter" that I retain from the old days. Criticism of recordings has rarely been so opinionated since.

Comment

Hancock and Monks, now operating a flourishing mail order business in Hay-on-Wye, had their first shop in Westbury-on-Trym village (clearly, they like rivers), in Bristol. They had a very good secondhand selection too.

Not lost, then, but lost to me as my 'local'. I think they have a retail shop in Hay, with both Hancock (Eric) and Monks (Jerry) still running the business.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Hancock and Monks, now operating a flourishing mail order business in Hay-on-Wye, had their first shop in Westbury-on-Trym village (clearly, they like rivers), in Bristol. They had a very good secondhand selection too.

Not lost, then, but lost to me as my 'local'. I think they have a retail shop in Hay, with both Hancock (Eric) and Monks (Jerry) still running the business.
        I can remember going to Westbury-on-Trym to visit Hanock and Monks as a student. Came back with Klemperer's mono Philhamonia Beethoven 5. Happy days

I also recall a 2nd hand shop on Cheltenham Road in Montpelier (Bristol) near the railway bridge. Got lots of nice stuff there! Any Bristolians remember the name?

Comment

I don't know whether anyone's mentioned Yarborough House in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, which is still going strong. It's completely unexpected in a small border market town, but has a superb second-hand classical CD collection and also LPs, books and a café. They claim that 'our stock of 2,000 classical secondhand LPs and 4,000 CDs is one of the largest in the UK'. I know it's not 'lost', but since ff has mentioned Hancock and Monks in Hay, perhaps you'll forgive me for slipping it in. You could say that it's 'lost' in the wilds of Shropshire!

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
            I don't know whether anyone's mentioned Yarborough House in Bishop's Castle, Shropshire, which is still going strong. It's completely unexpected in a small border market town, but has a superb second-hand classical CD collection and also LPs, books and a café. They claim that 'our stock of 2,000 classical secondhand LPs and 4,000 CDs is one of the largest in the UK'. I know it's not 'lost', but since ff has mentioned Hancock and Monks in Hay, perhaps you'll forgive me for slipping it in. You could say that it's 'lost' in the wilds of Shropshire!
            Thanks for the reminder JFLL, it's a wonderful place to go for a browse if you're in the area & they have a nice simple café too

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Oh yes, memories memories Ferret.

EMG was a bit like going in for a consultation, wasn't it? I worked in Henry Stave at Great Marlborough Street, Dean Street and King William IV Street (London Bridge) in the '70s.

The guys in the funny little shop in Newport Court were always good for a chat too - silly low prices sometimes too.

I now have a silly grin on my face - daft 'aporth
              I remember going into the first Henry Staves in Romilly Street in the mono days, asking for Carmina Burana, and the blond lady assistant said " If we don't have it, I'm sure we should, it sounds very exotic!"
              A friend worked in the Dean Street branch for a while at the time the Solti Rheingold appeared, and a man came in and ordered 18 copies. I think it was still the original owner then, who shuffled round the shop in carpet slippers. I used to imagine a huge clockwork "Stave Sealing" machine in the back room somewhere. Sadly, the old boy committed suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post

I also recall a 2nd hand shop on Cheltenham Road in Montpelier (Bristol) near the railway bridge. Got lots of nice stuff there! Any Bristolians remember the name?
                D'you know, although I lived in Bristol for 25 years (1968-1993) I don't remember that place at all?

Of the two record shops I do fondly remember, one was located on the triangle at the top of Park Street, on the left hand side, over a restaurant, whence mouthwatering odours emanated. There were jazz albums in the second-hand racks I still wish I'd had the money to afford. The other place was a short way down Princess Victoria Street in Clifton, where one would spend leg-wearying hours in the stifling heat of the secondhand department in the basement, where the ceiling was just above head height for a 6-footer.

Comment

Wow, what memories this brings back!! My first was Mold in N Wales where I was at school and spent my pocket money on pop singles at 6/8d each. Teh shop is a Wetherspoons now. Then I saw the light and bought my first "classical" there LP, SAX 2404!!

Amateur 51: Do you remember Cranes in Wrexham? and the market has a record shop too that sold pop music mostly. Left a few penneis here too when visiting my aunt in New Broughton.

Uni in Liverpool then and NEMS near Lewis's [bought first Beatles LP there like a few million others] and the Adelphi hotel. Left some of my student grant in there but most of it in a shop further down town [go down Church St from Central Stn and then turn Right] that also sold HiFi and it had fancy new enclosed listening booths. I dread to think how many classical LPs I bought there once the bug had bit. I can't remember the name though, I think it began with B but I could be wrong. [it was Beaver Records, now I remember - NO, I lie, it was Beaver Radio. Got there in the end]

Then London for work and lived in Harrow and there was a strange, small shop on the railway bridge and the proprietor always smoked thick cigars that smelt the place out. Saturday mornings, regular visit that left me poorer than I went in.

I worked for a while in Old Street/Moorgate and frequented Farringdon's Chancery Lane branch a lot and also EMG - yes, you were treated to a lecture or two on taste. Moores occasionally in Gt Marlborough St and also Gramex of course. MDT on the Strand - gone now - in the CD era. Gramex are still in Lower Marsh - I was there less than a couple of weeks ago - still as lively and opinionated as ever.

Now in rural Hampshire a once in while a trip to Bath involves a visit to Bath CDs, always a good browse. I used to frequent Whitwam's in Winchester [now gone and is an estate agent I think] and The Collector's Room in Salisbury too - Edward and Beryl were always welcoming - you had to go in through a Bang and Olafsen dealer first but now it has its own entrance. I guess they must be retired by now. Holidays in Exmouth offered the treat of Opus Records in the Guildhall complex in Exeter. Always good choice there. Still there I think.

Think of all that cash spent in these places!!
                  Last edited by Gordon; 19-07-12, 14:45. Reason: Remembered the name of that shop! Properly second time around.

Comment

Oh, how could I have forgotten! Blake Head records in York - a regular haunt of my friend Alex and I. Loads of secondhand CDs and opera sets and Jay Williams behind the counter - always friendly and helpful. Another sad loss (as was their rather good bookshop and cafe across Micklegate - also vanished).

K.
                    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                      Wow, what memories this brings back!! My first was Mold in N Wales where I was at school and spent my pocket money on pop singles at 6/8d each. Teh shop is a Wetherspoons now. Then I saw the light and bought my first "classical" there LP, SAX 2404!!

Amateur 51: Do you remember Cranes in Wrexham? and the market has a record shop too that sold pop music mostly. Left a few penneis here too when visiting my aunt in New Broughton.

Uni in Liverpool then and NEMS near Lewis's [bought first Beatles LP there like a few million others] and the Adelphi hotel. Left some of my student grant in there but most of it in a shop further down town [go down Church St from Central Stn and then turn Right] that also sold HiFi and it had fancy new enclosed listening booths. I dread to think how many classical LPs I bought there once the bug had bit. I can't remember the name though, I think it began with B but I could be wrong.

Then London for work and lived in Harrow and there was a strange, small shop on the railway bridge and the proprietor always smoked thick cigars that smelt the place out. Saturday mornings, regular visit that left me poorer than I went in.

I worked for a while in Old Street/Moorgate and frequented Farringdon's Chancery Lane branch a lot and also EMG - yes, you were treated to a lecture or two on taste. Moores occasionally in Gt Marlborough St and also Gramex of course. MDT on the Strand - gone now - in the CD era. Gramex are still in Lower Marsh - I was there less than a couple of weeks ago - still as lively and opinionated as ever.

Now in rural Hampshire a once in while a trip to Bath involves a visit to Bath CDs, always a good browse. I used to frequent Whitwam's in Winchester [now gone and is an estate agent I think] and The Collector's Room in Salisbury too - Edward and Beryl were always welcoming - you had to go in through a Bang and Olafsen dealer first but now it has its own entrance. I guess they must be retired by now. Holidays in Exmouth offered the treat of Opus Records in the Guildhall complex in Exeter. Always good choice there. Still there I think.

Think of all that cash spent in these places!!
                      Good to know Gramex is still going, must pop along there - thanks for the info, Gordon.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                        Would that be Plastic Wax? About a 15 minute walk from me, and I pass it often, but not a place I would tend to visit even though they do advertise classical at the bottom of their hand written window notice ...

I go into Tahn to Providence Records in the hinterland between the Council House and St George's (Brandon Hill). 'Afternoon Roger' used to work there - if anyone remembers Bristol Classical Records, now gone, in Broad Street, with Morning Roger and Afternoon Roger.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Would that be Plastic Wax? About a 15 minute walk from me, and I pass it often, but not a place I would tend to visit even though they do advertise classical at the bottom of their hand written window notice ...

I go into Tahn to Providence Records in the hinterland between the Council House and St George's (Brandon Hill). 'Afternoon Roger' used to work there - if anyone remembers Bristol Classical Records, now gone, in Broad Street, with Morning Roger and Afternoon Roger.
                          Wonder if that was the same Roger who used to run the abovementioned-by-me shop at the top of Park St; tallish thin guy who wore big specs, bit of a quiff, always cheerful.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Wonder if that was the same Roger who used to run the abovementioned-by-me shop at the top of Park St; tallish thin guy who wore big specs, bit of a quiff, always cheerful.
                            Morning Roger was the boss (Roger Webb). He was tallish and thin (and probably still is) but I don't remember the specs. He had a moustache? Afternoon Roger was (is?) also a verger at the cathedral. Quite big and beefy: watching him shooing away the skateboarders straying off College Green into the cathedral porch is quite amusing

And here he is:

Comment

Morning Roger was the boss (Roger Webb). He was tallish and thin (and probably still is) but I don't remember the specs. He had a moustache? Afternoon Roger was (is?) also a verger at the cathedral. Quite big and beefy: watching him shooing away the skateboarders straying off College Green into the cathedral porch is quite amusing
                              Must be a different Roger then, FF. I could have pictured the Roger I've referred to with a 'tache back then (late '80s), but not today.

He most certainly wouldn't have been moonlighting as a verger, either!

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                                I used to frequent Whitwam's in Winchester [now gone and is an estate agent I think]
                                I think I remember Whitwam's: near the Butter Cross? Bought my boxed set of Ives Symphonies (CBS LPs) there in 1980.
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X