Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Yes, that's the one, Dave, but I already have 19 out of the 20 discs - that's why it's so infuriating!

Thanks, folks, for all that turntable info..I had no idea it was as easy as that, fascinating. Might well be worth considering, bearing in mind I also have quite a few other treasured LPs that never made it to CD.
    Ah - so which of the discs in that box have the works you want? I couldn’t match a single disc to the cover you showed. Have the works been spread about over the collection?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Ah - so which of the discs in that box have the works you want? I couldn’t match a single disc to the cover you showed. Have the works been spread about over the collection?
      Yes - I think on 12 18 and 19.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Yes - I think on 12 18 and 19.
        I suspected as much.

I thought I’d have another look for USB turntables, and this list from 2019 looks helpful - https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/b...vinyl-spinners

If you don’t mind green it looks as though something perhaps moderately decent can be had for around £100. (actually perhaps a bit more now, though black is available - maybe the same model - https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/record-pl...0-%20DJ%20Gear)

I recall that most people favour the Audio Technica and Sony decks - preference being for the AT model at around £300 - from the first list/link.

It’s also quite easy to access the Which reports - with a trial membership for £1 - if interested in a different view.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          Yes, that's the one, Dave, but I already have 19 out of the 20 discs - that's why it's so infuriating!

Thanks, folks, for all that turntable info..I had no idea it was as easy as that, fascinating. Might well be worth considering, bearing in mind I also have quite a few other treasured LPs that never made it to CD.
          I had digitized a few lps over 10 years ago, using a phono preamp with a usb out that was connected to a budget Project Turntable, and using the free Audacity software. It’s a bit of work on the first couple of records, but once you get familiar with the technology it goes somewhat easier. You have to create tracks, as it will all show up as one file, and you do need to make sure that you are staying within the dynamic limits of the program or you will get something unlistenable, and then depending on the condition of the lp you might want to apply the pop and click editor a few times, as these will sound much louder when digitized than they do while playing the lp. I did a pretty good job with “The Planets” with Zubin Mehta and the LA Phil, but a few others sounded less stellar. And then later I bought a big Decca Box that had the same Mehta recording in a beautiful CD transfer, rendering all that work superfluous...ah, well.

Comment

Thanks again, folks...I hadn't realised that the works from that single LP had been spread out over the box set, most annoying!

Comment

Working...
            X