Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
    Given that he sounds French and I adore his Ibert Divetissement I'm looking to order Martinon's Debussy and Ravel for a steal. Any one heard it?
    No, but I'm intrigued at the pricing.

On the Amazon UK site, under market place, Zoverstocks have it for £17.66+£1.26 UK delivery - which is more than the Amazon UK price.

On the French site, Zoverstocks have it for 14.95 Euros, plus 2.49 euros for delivery - TO FRANCE - and it comes from the UK in the first place!
    It's only 15 Euros on the French Amazon site - with free delivery for anyone living in France. Not sure it's worth bothering for those of us in the UK - might just be worth going straight for the UK Amazon price (£16.77) with free delivery.

I suspect it's rather good. Could be interested - later! However, I've already got a couple of sets of Debussy which I've still not "dealt" with. [i.e unwrapped]

Also, Martinon was definitely French - born in Lyon - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Martinon. I think it was his version of Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique which was one of the first to use cornets, rather than trumpets, in some sections - which I believe might be more authentic. That wasn't the performance practice at the time.

Comment

I adore his Ibert Divetissement ?
      ... a strip-tease version, I take it?

Comment

Given that he sounds French and I adore his Ibert Divetissement I'm looking to order Martinon's Debussy and Ravel for a steal. Any one heard it?
        Yes, I have it in it's previous incarnation and it is absolutely splendid. Go forth and order it!

Comment

Given that he sounds French and I adore his Ibert Divetissement I'm looking to order Martinon's Debussy and Ravel for a steal.
          Any idea of recordings dates?

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
            Any idea of recordings dates?
            1973/4 according to the booklet in the earlier incarnation. I have had the latter for some years now and never regretted purchase. Sound quality is excellent and presumably remains so in the reissue.

Comment

Wolf: The Anniversary Edition - 8 cds from EMI can be had for £10.79 delivered from blah. (A blah marketplace seller has it for £9.99 new and delivered).
              Shop for the latest and greatest games and accessories for Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch. A wide selection of Music CDs; TV and Movies (on DVD and Blu-rays). Check our prices be...

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                1973/4 according to the booklet in the earlier incarnation. I have had the latter for some years now and never regretted purchase. Sound quality is excellent and presumably remains so in the reissue.
                Thanks to you for that info and to martin_opera for the original link. Order now placed, along with François-Xavier Roth's new Liszt release for good measure.

Comment

The Martinon Debussy/Ravel is currently GBP 13.99 + free UK delivery at Sainsbury's Entertainment. Tempting.

https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E11106977

Comment

Wolf: The Anniversary Edition - 8 cds from EMI can be had for £10.79 delivered from blah. (A blah marketplace seller has it for £9.99 new and delivered).
                    http://www.blahdvd.com/Music/Wolf-Th...82/product.htm
                    Seems to be completely lieder/songs. I know it's what Wolf was known for, but he did write a few other pieces including one finished opera and one left incomplete, a string quartet, and the well known Italian Serenade, which was also orchestrated (by him, or not?). is that all he wrote? No piano music?

Maybe I should pass on this one. But then again ... maybe I could get to like at least a few of the lieder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      Seems to be completely lieder/songs. I know it's what Wolf was known for, but he did write a few other pieces including one finished opera and one left incomplete, a string quartet, and the well known Italian Serenade, which was also orchestrated (by him, or not?). is that all he wrote? No piano music?

Maybe I should pass on this one. But then again ... maybe I could get to like at least a few of the lieder.
                      I have passed on it as heresy of heresies and after many years of trying I just do not like lieder.

Comment

I have passed on it as heresy of heresies and after many years of trying I just do not like lieder.
                        Isn't it funny how long it's possible to persevere in trying to "make" oneself like a particular composer or genre!

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                          Isn't it funny how long it's possible to persevere in trying to "make" oneself like a particular composer or genre!
                          Yes indeed. Given the great composers and very fine singers (and accompanists) who inhabit the world of lieder, I have always assumed that I must be missing something and so have persevered. I have given up trying and am waiting for lieder to come to me. A sort of reverse of 'following my lieder'

Comment

http://www.blahdvd.com/Music/Wolf-Th...82/product.htm
                            I've tried checking to see if there's a set of words and translations in this tempting box, to no avail

Comment

From emiclassics.com

Disc 9:
                              1 CD1 Sung Texts 0:01
                              2 CD2-3 Sung Texts (Spanisches Liederbuch) 0:01
                              3 CD3 (Continued) Sung Texts (Goethe-Lieder) 0:01
                              4 CD4 Sung Texts 0:01
                              5 CD5 Sung Texts 0:01
                              6 CD6 Sung Texts 0:01
                              7 CD7 Sung Texts 0:01
                              8 CD8 Sung Texts 0:01

The official EMI Records online store. Shop exclusive EMI Records vinyl, CDs, cassettes, merchandise and more.

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                                From emiclassics.com

Disc 9:
                                1 CD1 Sung Texts 0:01
                                2 CD2-3 Sung Texts (Spanisches Liederbuch) 0:01
                                3 CD3 (Continued) Sung Texts (Goethe-Lieder) 0:01
                                4 CD4 Sung Texts 0:01
                                5 CD5 Sung Texts 0:01
                                6 CD6 Sung Texts 0:01
                                7 CD7 Sung Texts 0:01
                                8 CD8 Sung Texts 0:01

http://www.emiclassics.com/releasetr....php?rid=49440
                                Many thanks PJPJ - you're a star!

Comment

Working...
                                X