X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
    No luck. E-mail this morning cancelling the order.
    Has there been a change of policy here? Not too long ago they seemed to be honouring these prices based on obvious mistakes.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

They say in their e-mails (if I understand them correctly - Google Translate isn't too clear) that it is against the law to sell below cost price. So, I can't say I'm surprised. Just somewhat disappointed.
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Has there been a change of policy here? Not too long ago they seemed to be honouring these prices based on obvious mistakes.
        That one was a bit odd, unlike the earlier one. In the 111 example the price had clearly been reduced, though perhaps it had been reduced too far. Maybe it's the Spanish law which allows them to retract such offers.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I think that Oistrakh box is one of the great bargains, richardfinegold (would you mind if I shortened you to rfg? ); and I'd be interested to hear your views on the Mahler box in due course - it has several highlights for me but like you it was the Horenstein/Price performance that grabbed my attention
          rfg is fine.
          I already had a few of the other discs in the Mahler box. Klemperer's Resurrection, Rattle/Berlin 10, the F-D Furtwangler Lieder, and the Barbirolli 9th.
          The First is Giuliani/Chicago. I think I used to own that, in fact it may have been my intro to the piece, so after several listens of the Horenstein I started with that. It's a nice performance, well played, and I'm glad to be reacquainted with it, but it wont displace may favorites (Horenstein and Abbado/Lucerne).
          I'll report back as I work through it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            I am loathe to download stuff but that is an occasion where I still might. Why someone hasn't re-released the available Horenstein Mahler is an enigma far more disturbing than the Bermuda Triangle.
            Exactly. I am also not much of a downloader but I only wanted this one disc. I really didn't need a complete Mahler box, especially one that duplicates so many other recordings in my collection, but the price was actually the best way to purchase this. Used CDs of the Horenstein were going for 50 pounds. I had already bought 2 lps of the recording on ebay that were unplayable.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
              I am loathe to download stuff but that is an occasion where I still might. Why someone hasn't re-released the available Horenstein Mahler is an enigma far more disturbing than the Bermuda Triangle.

Agreed. I have the (non Vox) CDs of 1,3,6, and 7. 8 of course has been widely available from the Beeb.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                rfg is fine.
                I already had a few of the other discs in the Mahler box. Klemperer's Resurrection, Rattle/Berlin 10, the F-D Furtwangler Lieder, and the Barbirolli 9th.
                The First is Giuliani/Chicago. I think I used to own that, in fact it may have been my intro to the piece, so after several listens of the Horenstein I started with that. It's a nice performance, well played, and I'm glad to be reacquainted with it, but it wont displace may favorites (Horenstein and Abbado/Lucerne).
                I'll report back as I work through it.
                Many thanks, rfg!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  I'm not much of a downloader..give me a CD any day.
                  However, I have been after the Rubbra symphonies for a while. They can be downloaded complete for £7.99 from Classics online. Did this today, and have got them all successfully burned to CD (I think) !
                  Great value, if a bit of a pain !
                  Was that a special one day offer? Which version of the symphonies was it? I can't see anything like that now.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Was that a special one day offer? Which version of the symphonies was it? I can't see anything like that now.
                    Try this link.

Hope you get it it ok.
                    Its the Hickox set. As I say, first time I have used this source, all worked well. Any problems down to my incompetence !!
                    (I burned to CD-R, playing well at home, won't play in car. They don't use any DRM type stuff according to their website).

Edit, i am running through them all to check if the burned OK....there is a lot to get through....in a good way !!
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Try this link.

Hope you get it it ok.
                      Its the Hickox set. As I say, first time I have used this source, all worked well. Any problems down to my incompetence !!
                      (I burned to CD-R, playing well at home, won't play in car. They don't use any DRM type stuff according to their website).

Edit, i am running through them all to check if the burned OK....there is a lot to get through....in a good way !!
                      Thanks. I may try that later, and it should allow me to play them in the car. Do you know what the mp3 bit rate is?

Did you try copying as mp3s or as CDs? My car CD player will play mp3s, so quite good for this sort of thing - they might all go on one or two CDs. I'll let you know if I try that.

I discovered that this set is also on Napster/Rhapsody - seemingly - so not absolutely necessary to download. http://www.napster.co.uk/artist/vari...onies-complete

It's not on Spotify AFAIK.

I don't know what I'm listening to right now - Allegro molto e tempestuoso - but it sounds quite dramatic. The next movement is Perigourdine. Sampling from Napster before downloading. I hope it'll be possible to identify what's what from the downloads.

Comment

• robk
                        • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Dave2002;213470]Do you know what the mp3 bit rate is?
                        QUOTE]

I've just downloaded them too. Seemed too good to miss at that price,. Bit rate is 320.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Thanks. I may try that later, and it should allow me to play them in the car. Do you know what the mp3 bit rate is?

Did you try copying as mp3s or as CDs? My car CD player will play mp3s, so quite good for this sort of thing - they might all go on one or two CDs. I'll let you know if I try that.

I discovered that this set is also on Napster/Rhapsody - seemingly - so not absolutely necessary to download. http://www.napster.co.uk/artist/vari...onies-complete

It's not on Spotify AFAIK.

I don't know what I'm listening to right now - Allegro molto e tempestuoso - but it sounds quite dramatic. The next movement is Perigourdine. Sampling from Napster before downloading. I hope it'll be possible to identify what's what from the downloads.
                          I think that is the first symphony Dave.
                          I think I copied as CD.....i am an absolute downloading novice, and generally ill informed on tech matters!
                          I must try to put this right, as no doubt I am missing out.
                          anyway, loving this music. EdegelyRob really got me into it by recommending the 7th a while back...
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

I think that is the first symphony Dave.
                            I think I copied as CD.....i am an absolute downloading novice, and generally ill informed on tech matters!
                            I must try to put this right, as no doubt I am missing out.
                            anyway, loving this music. EdegelyRob really got me into it by recommending the 7th a while back...
                            The seventh is a wonderfui piece TS,enjoy.
                            The glorious big tune in the scherzo 2nd movement gets me everytime.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

"Two CDs for £9" boasts Amazon. Curious punter that I am, I click on the 'classical' genre, where all of 15 discs are listed.

What gems do we have here?

Vangelis and Mike Oldfield

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

I'm not much of a downloader..give me a CD any day.
                                However, I have been after the Rubbra symphonies for a while. They can be downloaded complete for £7.99 from Classics online. Did this today, and have got them all successfully burned to CD (I think) !
                                Great value, if a bit of a pain !
                                Bear in mind that you can also download the booklet notes from the Chandos site:

Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

Comment

Working...
                                X