Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • martin_opera

Wonderful bargain on MDT of all of John McGlinn's musicals recordings. You get the complete Showboat with Von Stade, Hadley and Stratas which up until now has been around £20 from EMI's GROC range but also the Kiss Me Kate with Josephine Barstow, the Annie Get Your Gun with Thomas Hampson and the Showboat with Kim Criswell. You also get Brigadoon and some recital discs. All CDs nicely packaged in a relatively sturdy box with some attractive artwork on the cardboard slipcases and all sung texts on a separate CDROM. The Showboat has long been celebrated and I can hear why - marvellous performance!

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Fingers crossed then
      Crossing fingers wasn't enough
      Just received the email about the "wrong price" and cancelling the order

It was worth a try!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
        Crossing fingers wasn't enough
        Just received the email about the "wrong price" and cancelling the order

It was worth a try!
        Same here, Curalach - a disappointment but that's all

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Same here, Curalach - a disappointment but that's all
          ... yes. Anyhoo, I was running the risk of collection bloat * - so prob'ly just as well...

* many thanks to Gurnemanz [ # 1880 ] for this excellent and appropriate turn of phrase

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... yes. Anyhoo, I was running the risk of collection bloat * - so prob'ly just as well...
            I'm thinking of following Rob Cowan & investing in a Listening Shed

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

investing in a Listening Shed
              ... o, ami, the problem is much deeper and more existential than mere shelf space. It's a question of Time, of Life, of Priorities, of Mortality...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... o, ami, the problem is much deeper and more existential than mere shelf space. It's a question of Time, of Life, of Priorities, of Mortality...
                Oh those problems - mostly nothing can be done so everything forward and trust in the lord

Or as a friend has it "Put your trust in the lord .. and keep an eye on the lodger"

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Or as a friend has it "Put your trust in the lord .. and keep an eye on the lodger"
                  ... I s'pose it depends on how pretty the lodger is

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Now that I know the Spanish campaign has failed that leaves scope for chasing other things. There wasn't much in HMV, but it wasn't totally barren of offers. There was a box of Andras Schiff CDs, though I'm not sure I want it, much though I like his playing. I might revisit again. I would expect the Oxford Street branch to have more, but I'm not planning to go in that direction in the immediate future. I doubt whether it's worth making a visit to HMV for the sale anywhere more than 50 miles from London.

There's also that John McGlinn collection to consider. [msg 1891]

PS: Andras Schiff - this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andras-Schif...0119820&sr=1-6 - £12 from HMV in the sale.
                    Also this from Concerto Köln http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...e=UTF8&s=music - also £12 from HMV.
                    Last edited by Dave2002; 13-10-12, 10:21.

Comment

• AmpH
                      • Feb 2012

For those who like English Choral Music, this is an excellent bargain, which includes the BaL recommendation for the Howells Requiem

Comment

• amateur51

Dear Chris Newman, of fond memory, recommended this set to me aeons ago & I've been waiting for it to drop from its usual £45 price ... and blow me, look at it now

Collection bloat or no, it's wonderfully whacky music and it will serve as a celebration of a much-missed chum from this Board
                        Last edited by Guest; 12-10-12, 11:22. Reason: trypo

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Dear Chris Newman, of fond memory, recommended this set to me aeons ago & I've been waiting for it to drop from its usual £45 price ... and blow me, look at it now

Collection bloat or no, it's wonderfully whacky music and it will serve as a celebration of a much-missed chum from this Board
                          Get thee behind me .... the grocer is still charging the "usual £45 price". http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E10885232

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Get thee behind me .... the grocer is still charging the "usual £45 price". http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E10885232
                            Go for it! You know you really want to ...

Comment

• Curalach

It's available from Amazon marketplace for £33.50 plus £1.26 delivery!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

too good to miss so posted twice Il Giardino Armonico Collected Recordings £20 in mp3
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X