X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    For those with access to Qobuz, they are offering Peter Hurford's Bach (17 CDs worth) for under 7 Euros at CD quality, less for MP3s...
    Not any more - it is now 62 Euros!

I signed up too late to take advantage of those terrific offers.

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      I signed up too late to take advantage of those terrific offers.
      Ditto
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... but then again, I wdn't put Hurford in my top ten of Bach organists.

Not when you have the possibility of hearing Weinberger, Oortmerssen, Fagius, Foccroulle, Rogg, Isoir, Koopman, Herrick, Vernet, Chapuis...

Comment

• hafod
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
          We've had two major Wagner releases from EMI and DG this past month in advance of the Wagner bicentenary in 2013. It is also Verdi's bicentenary yet I am not aware of any big box budget releases to celebrate this. Recent Verdi boxes have been released including Solti, the Abbado and the cheap Karajan (dubious about sound quality on this one). Has anyone seen anything else - more complete? What would be nice would be a big box of Muti recordings but at a more realistic price than this and a big box of the Philips Gardelli early Verdi operas.
          Well, I suppose it is possible that the 74cd box issued in (I think) 2010 could reappear. I bought it for around £130 and it has most if not all of the Gardelli. Pricey now. Cheapest (used) at Amazon.it - also contents list. Amazon.jp has it new for about the same but then there are various duties to add.

Comment

• hafod
            • Nov 2010

At Jpc some 10cd Historic Russian Archives sets from Brilliant Classics for €9.99.

Roshdestvensky; Oistrakh (Chamber Music and Concertos sets), Richter (Concerto Edition); Svetlanov; Gauk (V2).

Also Knushevitsky (5cds) at €7.99; Richter in Concert (5cds) at €7.99; Gilels Beethoven Concertos and Sonatas (6 cds) at €7.99 and Legendary Russian Pianists (25cds) at €19.99 (beware duplication with other sets though irritatingly it has material not available SFAIK elsewhere).

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Picked up an old used copy of Ma Vlast on the Vienna Masters series this week for 50p in a flea market.
              No sleeve, so looked around on the web to find out the orchestra, which eventually turns out to be the South German Phil/Zsoltay
              At the same time discovered this selling on a US site for $37.50 Hurrah !!
              Now as a fair minded boarder, and given that 50p was about my top price for this work, I am prepared to let this go at a substantial discount to anybody anxious to complete their Smetana collection....!!
              (not really....well maybe ....)
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• NLK1971

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                That's a great price! Anyone who hasn't already bought this excellent box should get in quick!
                I just noticed the Boult - Bach to Wagner box at £12.99.

Soon they'll be giving it away....

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                  • Mar 2007

We've had two major Wagner releases from EMI and DG this past month in advance of the Wagner bicentenary in 2013. It is also Verdi's bicentenary yet I am not aware of any big box budget releases to celebrate this. Recent Verdi boxes have been released including Solti, the Abbado and the cheap Karajan (dubious about sound quality on this one). Has anyone seen anything else - more complete? What would be nice would be a big box of Muti recordings but at a more realistic price than this and a big box of the Philips Gardelli early Verdi operas.
                  I can report that there's to be a big box from EMI (a colleague has just completed a 5,000 word essay for it) although it won't be Verdi's complete operas as there are a handful which EMI has never recorded, Luisa Miller the most serious casualty. C Major is also issuing (mostly) new dvds/ blu-rays of his entire operatic canon. I've just received the first half dozen releases for review.
                  Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by NLK1971 View Post
                    I just noticed the Boult - Bach to Wagner box at £12.99.

Soon they'll be giving it away....
                    Well spotted, NLK1971 - a marvellous and cheap Christmas present for any Boult-fancying (or Boult-ignorant) friends, at that price

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                      I can report that there's to be a big box from EMI.
                      Wonderful. Thank you. If they keep away from Callas I may go for that.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                        • Mar 2007

Wonderful. Thank you. If they keep away from Callas I may go for that.
                        Don't hold your breath. I'm pretty sure Rigoletto will be the Callas/ Gobbi one.
                        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• martin_opera

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
                          Don't hold your breath. I'm pretty sure Rigoletto will be the Callas/ Gobbi one.
                          Not sure I need it in triplicate - the perils of collecting big boxes!

To make up for my digressions on this thread have a look at this German site. Some good bargain label prices and postage to the UK is a fixed 9 Euros. They also do mp3 downloads and I am rather tempted by this 2,490 mins of Verdi for less than 5 Euros!

Now where's babelfish?

Comment

• Don Petter

Not sure I need it in triplicate - the perils of collecting big boxes!

To make up for my digressions on this thread have a look at this German site. Some good bargain label prices and postage to the UK is a fixed 9 Euros. They also do mp3 downloads and I am rather tempted by this 2,490 mins of Verdi for less than 5 Euros!

Now where's babelfish?
                            I've ordered from them and can recommend them.

The process follows the typical online sequence, so you don't really have to speak German.

Comment

• Parry1912
                              • Nov 2010

Now where's babelfish?
                              I think 'Google Translate' is better.
                              Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• johnb
                                • Mar 2007

Chrome's (optional) website translate is even better. (Actually I think it is pretty wonderful.)

Comment

Working...
                                X