Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    Got to be a bargain of the century. Excellent. Enjoy.
    No, the bargain of the century was the 50 CD EMI Beethoven set (which includes those great Cluytens recordings) for £5 in an HMV sale a year or so ago:

Though I already had that 50 CD set (for which Ipaid £40), I still seized the opportunity to get a 'backup' set, + the 50 CD Mozart set for the same price:

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      jpc have a list of 350 which can be further sorted:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/sear...ocuments-Titel
      This is getting really silly. I can't cope with this barrage of sets at such low prices! Are the Documemts recordings all older, or out of copyright, or are some of them more modern recordings, in good (or at least relatively good) audio quality?

I have some Membran sets of older recordings. Some are good, and some have good performances, but unless a performance is particularly good I'd prefer to listen to better or newer recordings - the two are not necessarily the same! Is this a consideration/limitation of the Documents sets?

Comment

Bryn

Re msg 1846

Jammy so and so!

Well done! I eschewed those boxes when they first came out - I think they were nearer £50 each then.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
          Which would you go for?

EMI Wagner Box for £54 on Amazon or
          DG Wagner Box for £58 on Amazon

I'm leaning towards the EMI because it offers me fewer duplications, but am not convinced by either of the Ring cycles offered up
          I found a German site with more detail on the DG box

Comment

Any thoughts on this R. Strauss 10 CD set?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Yes, the finale of K491 has to be bought (for 69p!) separately.
              Currently 79p from iTunes.
              I hope there are no more missing tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Currently 79p from iTunes.
                I hope there are no more missing tracks.
                There aren't! (A good thing at those rates of inflation!)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oxford St HMV has a decent sale of Warner/Teldec/Erato material.

For example, Mravinsky's Erato material for £20

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    Oxford St HMV has a decent sale of Warner/Teldec/Erato material.

For example, Mravinsky's Erato material for £20
                    HMV in Bath also had these yesterday - in particular Serebrier's Glazunov box for £15 which I could not resist. Interestingly, they also had some 'preowned' discs as they described them, mainly Naxos but also a few BBC Classics (the forerunner of BBC Legends) for £2 each. Most of the classical offerings were pristine but some were marked, perhaps returns; I did not look at the condition of the many other genres. I bought the Wheeler/Mahler 10 and George Hurst's Enigma/In the South (both Naxos).

HMV doing secondhand - are things really that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      There aren't! (A good thing at those rates of inflation!)
                      Concerto 8 in C, K246 is missing.

Concerto 17 in G, K453 is missing.

However it looks as those haven't been recorded by these artists, so the series is as complete as can be, for the present.
                      Still seems a good thing to have, to me.

I stuck with the iTunes aac, so I'll have to copy the files over to another machine and try transcoding to mp3 to play in the car.

I'm hoping that won't be too difficult.

Comment

I stuck with the iTunes aac, so I'll have to copy the files over to another machine and try transcoding to mp3 to play in the car.

I'm hoping that won't be too difficult.
                        You can do that conversion within iTunes. On a Mac, bring up iTunes Preferences, click on Import Setting... in the General tab and set Import Using to MP3. Then select the tracks for conversion, go to the Advanced menu and select Create MP3 Version.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                          You can do that conversion within iTunes. On a Mac, bring up iTunes Preferences, click on Import Setting... in the General tab and set Import Using to MP3. Then select the tracks for conversion, go to the Advanced menu and select Create MP3 Version.
                          Yes, but I'm cautious. I don't want to overwrite the originals, so I'm burning them to DVD - just about to hit the Burn button. Then will take DVD to work, and do the conversion there, hopefully returning with only a few CDs. I'm also taking the opportunity to back off other material I've downloaded to DVD - just in case!

I believe it's possible to maintain multiple versions in one iTunes library, but I've not tried this yet, and I'm not confident enough to do that without taking copies.

Comment

Yes, but I'm cautious. I don't want to overwrite the originals, so I'm burning them to DVD - just about to hit the Burn button. Then will take DVD to work, and do the conversion there, hopefully returning with only a few CDs. I'm also taking the opportunity to back off other material I've downloaded to DVD - just in case!

I believe it's possible to maintain multiple versions in one iTunes library, but I've not tried this yet, and I'm not confident enough to do that without taking copies.
                            Fair enough. Just to reassure you if you ever decide to give conversion within iTunes a try: the originals aren't overwritten; iTunes creates additional versions in the specified format.

Comment

Concerto 8 in C, K246 is missing.

Concerto 17 in G, K453 is missing.

However it looks as those haven't been recorded by these artists, so the series is as complete as can be, for the present.
                              Yes; these are missing works, not tracks missed out (as was the case with the finale of K491). Quite why they weren't recorded is a mystery - the set includes the Two- and Three- Piano Concertos played by Ms Piazzini alone.

Still seems a good thing to have, to me.
                              - a lovely set at any price: a genuine bargain!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

An expensive (for me) bargain, but considering how others have spoken well of it, Krivine's set of Beethoven symphonies can be ordered from Amazon for £20.53 right now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...9731742&sr=8-1 or obtained as a download from emusic for £15.54 - http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album...ies/12388081/:

I might sample a few tracks from emusic before deciding. Then again, I've just discovered they're on Spotify (http://open.spotify.com/track/00aCAA6Euuy8i4aEgI2Ukk), though not on Napster. Krivine does also seem to have done some Debussy which is on Napster.

Comment

Working...
                                X