Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hafod View Post
    Yes indeed. Given the great composers and very fine singers (and accompanists) who inhabit the world of lieder, I have always assumed that I must be missing something and so have persevered. I have given up trying and am waiting for lieder to come to me. A sort of reverse of 'following my lieder'
    I snapped up that Wolf Anniversary box when it first came out. It's full of diverse delights. I was immediately won over by Wolf when I borrowed a double LP of Goethe settings with Fischer-Dieskau and Gerald Moore from the public library over 40 years ago - now available in this marvellous five star box, which also contains the orchestral works conducted by F-D:

Cheaper at the grocer's: http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E10106442

"Combining the eroticism of Wagner and genius of Schumann, Hugo Wolf's lieder are mini-masterpieces," says Ian Bostridge. I agree with him. Here's his article if anyone wants converting:
    Combining the eroticism of Wagner and genius of Schumann, Hugo Wolf's lieder are mini-masterpieces, says Ian Bostridge.

Comment

Originally posted by NLK1971 View Post
      The Martinon Debussy/Ravel is currently GBP 13.99 + free UK delivery at Sainsbury's Entertainment. Tempting.

https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E11106977
      And you get 26 nectar points - welcome NLK1971, btw (do I have to do everything is this place? )
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Bernstein's Columbia (as was) Mahler cycle:

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

You can actually get it for about a quid less on blah, dvd.co.uk, but - in my experience - they aren't as fast.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          And you get 26 nectar points - welcome NLK1971, btw (do I have to do everything is this place? )
          Thanks. Personally I've never had that thrill of being a nectar point collector.

Recently I acquired Abbado's Rossini from Amazon Spain (20.16 Euros excluding delivery) - If Schopenhauer thought Rossini a genius, that's good enough for me.
          http://www.amazon.es/4-Comic-Operas-...8772109&sr=1-1

And Chapuis's complete Bach Organ Works (24.74 Euros) which promptly became even cheaper for a few days...
          http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B005..._ya_os_product

Warning: Prices on Amazon Spain can be highly variable.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            Bernstein's Columbia (as was) Mahler cycle:

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

You can actually get it for about a quid less on blah, dvd.co.uk, but - in my experience - they aren't as fast.
            I have all of these issues that came out in the Bernstein Century series. Can anyone tell me if it is worth replacing them with this set as I believe they have been remastered to good effect?
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              I have all of these issues that came out in the Bernstein Century series. Can anyone tell me if it is worth replacing them with this set as I believe they have been remastered to good effect?
              I think the current Mahler Bernstein edition uses Japanese remasters, which are supposedly of high quality. I've read several reviews that comment upon the vast improvement in sound.

Only having heard the 7th symphony in the BC series, I can't really comment myself, but you might care to look at some of the amazon reviews.

Comment

Very nice 12-CD box of Leontyne Price song recitals on Amazon for £10. The Strauss Vier Letze Lieder is especially good but I haven't heard the rest so I have ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  I snapped up that Wolf Anniversary box when it first came out. It's full of diverse delights...
                  "Combining the eroticism of Wagner and genius of Schumann, Hugo Wolf's lieder are mini-masterpieces," says Ian Bostridge. I agree with him. Here's his article if anyone wants converting:
                  http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2006...lmusicandopera
                  It's a really excellent introduction to Wolf, this set IMO.

Comment

Presto Classical have a Beethoven box featuring Simon Rattle.

It includes the Nine Symphonies with the VPO, Fidelio with the BPO, two performances with differing cadenzas of the 1st Piano Concerto and the 2nd Piano Concerto - both with Lars Vogt and the CBSO.

All for the silly price of £12.60 plus £1.50 p&p for the 9 discs! (£22.40 on Amazon).

Comment

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                      Very nice 12-CD box of Leontyne Price song recitals on Amazon for £10. The Strauss Vier Letze Lieder is especially good but I haven't heard the rest so I have ordered.
                      I've ordered this too - wonderful singer.

Comment

Amazon price for the Rattle beethoven now £15 post free so only pennies in it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...1991131_snp_dp
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                          Presto Classical have a Beethoven box featuring Simon Rattle.

It includes the Nine Symphonies with the VPO, Fidelio with the BPO, two performances with differing cadenzas of the 1st Piano Concerto and the 2nd Piano Concerto - both with Lars Vogt and the CBSO.

All for the silly price of £12.60 plus £1.50 p&p for the 9 discs! (£22.40 on Amazon).
                          £8.75 at MDT plus £3 delivery.

Comment

Ridiculous prices, we end up grabbing these offers fearing we'll never see these prices (and in same cases the cd's) again. The rate that downloads are increasing in number makes me nervous about the future of cd availability, particularly as classical retailers are disappearing rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                              Ridiculous prices, we end up grabbing these offers fearing we'll never see these prices (and in same cases the cd's) again. The rate that downloads are increasing in number makes me nervous about the future of cd availability, particularly as classical retailers are disappearing rapidly.
                              Agreed. But there will be a good second-hand market for many years as the experience with LPs shows. In fact, when cds arrived on the scene a number of people moved exclusively to cds and virtually 'dumped' their LP collections. I acquired hundreds of LPs for pennies each in the mid 80's some of them now worth good money if I wanted and could be bothered to sell them. I will never go down the download route - too long in the tooth for starters - and my LP/cd collection will see me out. I do not see cd-players being phased out not least because of the encuraging precedent set by the continuing availability of tuntables.

Comment

I do not see cd-players being phased out not least because of the encouraging precedent set by the continuing availability of turntables.
                                Right. And, although the sound from a good condition LP on a well constructed and set-up turntable can be a thing of wonder, for most people LP was a compromised medium in a way that CD is not.

Comment

Working...
                                X