Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
    Ridiculous prices, we end up grabbing these offers fearing we'll never see these prices (and in same cases the cd's) again. The rate that downloads are increasing in number makes me nervous about the future of cd availability, particularly as classical retailers are disappearing rapidly.
    We may move to the Archiv Music (US) model where independent orgs have licenses to press out-of-print CDs. (Sadly the EU version of Archiv Music seems not to have the volume of out-of-print material.)

Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
      I've ordered this too - wonderful singer.
      The Leontyne Price recital CD box has gone down by 27p in the space of ten hours!! The first case of this forum decreasing a price on Amazon.

Comment

Just ordered André Cluytens' Beethoven set from Amazon Marketplace for around £6.63 including postage.

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
          We may move to the Archiv Music (US) model where independent orgs have licenses to press out-of-print CDs. (Sadly the EU version of Archiv Music seems not to have the volume of out-of-print material.)

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/main.jsp
          According to one of our members, such "CDs" are in fact CD-Rs, which might mean that they could fail in a few years. Bit sad, if that's the case - otherwise it's quite an interesting business model, and there are recordings I've thought of buying from them, such as Monteux - Dvorak 7th Symphony, which I have on LP, but not on CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Just ordered André Cluytens' Beethoven set from Amazon Marketplace for around £6.63 including postage.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Sy...8958634&sr=8-1
            I have the same set, a bargain indeed. Amazing to think that you can buy such good CDs for not much more than the price of a couple of cups of coffee.

Some of the equivalent LPs on Classics For Pleasure were among the first classical LPs I ever bought.
            Steve

Comment

Clicking around the Amazon site I happened upon a 7CD Tchaikovsky Complete Piano Works from Viktoria Postnikova. It is repertoire I hardly know at all in what seems to be a very attractive and recommendable package:

Finding it cheaper at Sainsbury's, I have just ordered it:

Comment

I very nearly ordered this 2DVD set: Barenboim Jubilee Concert (Mozart: Sonata/ Beethoven: Sonata/ Albeniz: Iberia book 1 and 2)

from Presto Classical at £30 plus p&p - checked on Amazon and guess what? £8.69 free postage. Bargain?
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Which would you go for?

EMI Wagner Box for £54 on Amazon or
                  DG Wagner Box for £58 on Amazon

I'm leaning towards the EMI because it offers me fewer duplications, but am not convinced by either of the Ring cycles offered up

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                    Just spotted this for £17.28 with free postage on Amazon - apparently used but I bet it's new (warehouse sale).

Hello Teamsaint - how right you were, it didn't last!
                    Lumières arrived yesterday in perfect condition. What a treasure trove!! Oh Joy!
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                      Which would you go for?

I'm leaning towards the EMI because it offers me fewer duplications, but am not convinced by either of the Ring cycles offered up
                      The EMI box can be had for £48.99 at Sainsbury's (with 96 Nectar points!):

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.c...duct=E11133731

Too much duplication for me, I'm afraid.
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Have no fears about the Sawallisch Ring - this fine conductor hasn't done anything better, IMO, and the cast is pretty good (and, fwiw, the best Tuba playing I've heard on Ring recordings). And the Karajan Meistersinger and Kempe Lohengrin are both exceptionally good, too.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                          Lumières arrived yesterday in perfect condition. What a treasure trove!! Oh Joy!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Have no fears about the Sawallisch Ring - this fine conductor hasn't done anything better, IMO, and the cast is pretty good (and, fwiw, the best Tuba playing I've heard on Ring recordings). And the Karajan Meistersinger and Kempe Lohengrin are both exceptionally good, too.
                            Thanks for that FHG. I think the EMI has just made my Christmas list. I do like Sawallisch's Strauss so have high hopes for his Wagner. Interesting that both sets share the same Rienzi - highly non-partisan given that they are released at the same time. As far as I can work out the DG are offering Das Liebesverbot and Die Feen conducted by Sir Edward Downes.

Comment

Which would you go for?

2013 has arrived early: http://www.europadisc.co.uk/classica...h_Heritage.htm

Comment

A rather good Schumann bargain imo , with COE / Harnoncourt / Argerich and Kremer.

Comment

Working...
                                X