Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    Bryn - thanks! - and I see that it's on amazon.... .
    Buy with confidence, Vinteuil

I wish they'd do more...

Comment

... I am currently listening to CD 3 of a 15 CD set of the Complete Works of Frescobaldi [1583-1643], just out on Brilliant.

Usual crazy price. Very impressive performances (... so far... ). Anyone interested in this period, or in Frescobaldi (as an antecedent to Froberger etc... ) - highly recommended.

Comment

Here's a nice little mystery, which I hope others may be able to resolve. In my local Oxfam I've just picked up a 2LP set of Gilels, live performances in quite good stereo from 1978. The discs are in flawless condition and have obviously never been played. The set includes Schumann's 4 Klavierstucke Op. 32, the Four Ballades by Brahms, the Chopin B minor Sonata, and a couple of Polonaises, and were apparently produced by an American organisation called the Educational Media association.

The heavy duty gatefold sleeve has no notes, but a tantalising list of other LPs on the back, including Erich Kleiber conducting Daphne, Furtwangler In Bruckner 5, and many others. Does anybody recognise the provenance of these recordings? They would seem to be a real bargain at £2 for the pair.

Comment

Received my Steinberg box today - 20 CDs - great, but I'm I greedy - yes, I'd 've liked Tchaik 5! Also I'd love a similarly priced box of his Command recordings!

Comment

I'm not sure if this Brilliant Tchaikovsky Edition set has been mentioned before:

....but it looks like an interesting bet for historical recordings. Amazon France has it for only 62 euros, less than a euro per disc!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
              . . . this Brilliant Tchaikovsky Edition set . . .
              Listed in he latest selections Autumn 2011 catalogue which arrived today at £79. There are other rather tempting special offers.
              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                Listed in he latest selections Autumn 2011 catalogue which arrived today at £79. There are other rather tempting special offers.
                The best U.K. price I have seen yet is £54.99 + £1.26 p&p (amazon.co.uk marketplace "New").

Comment

A bargain yet to be listened to:
                  Yesterday in Montpellier, Vaughan Williams complete symphonies, etc, RCA Masterworks slipcase re-sissue (6 CDs) Slatkin and the Philharmonia; 14 Euros. At Fnac - a sort of crossover of Waterstones/Borders/HMV (before HMV went off the boil) Any French posters on here will know what I'm on about.

And in the same afternoon at a secondhand CD shop,
                  Maxwell Davies: Salome (EMI British Composers series)
                  R Strauss: Also Spr... (again!) Maazel/VPO (DG)
                  LvB Syms 4 & 5 Maazel/Cleveland Orch (RCA)

All for 10 Euros. Well - I feel pleased, anyway.
                  Last edited by visualnickmos; 18-09-11, 15:12. Reason: dyslexic-induced wrong title

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                    A bargain yet to be listened to:
                    Yesterday in Montpellier, Vaughan Williams complete symphonies, etc, RCA Masterworks slipcase re-sissue (6 CDs) Slatkin and the Philharmonia; 14 Euros. At Fnac - a sort of crossover of Waterstones/Borders/HMV (before HMV went off the boil) Any French posters on here will know what I'm on about.

And in the same afternoon at a secondhand CD shop,
                    Maxwell Davies: Macbeth (EMI British Composers series)
                    R Strauss: Also Spr... (again!) Maazel/VPO (DG)
                    LvB Syms 4 & 5 Maazel/Cleveland Orch (RCA)

All for 10 Euros. Well - I feel pleased, anyway.
                    Wow, you do amaze me, visualnickmos - whenever I go in to FNAC in Lyon, Marseille or Avignon, I don't see bargains like this. Maybe I should make another trip soon!

Comment

Hello MickyD

The RVW syms is one of a whole load of re-issues of RCA Red Seal boxed sets - Normal price 20€ reduced to 14€. The recordings date from the first half of the 1990s.

The other shop was OCD, of which I'm sure you must know. They are dotted all over France. Another shop to look at, is Gibert & Joseph - again second hand (books, CDs, DVDs etc.)

Are you based in southern France?

Comment

Yes, I'm down in Provence....but I have certainly been in to the OCD shops, which offer excellent second hand bargains and the chance of finding long deleted titles. Where exactly is Gilbert and Joseph - do they have several branches?

Comment

and

Last edited by vinteuil; 18-09-11, 15:05.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Vinteuil....I'm obviously behind the times, totally unaware of the existence of these shops. One in Marseille and one in Montpellier, lucky me!

Comment

MickyD

There is also an OCD in Montpellier, and another shop which has a few (but sometimes interesting) classical cds. It is next to a cinema called 'Diagonal' in a street just off Place de la Comédie. Happy hunting!

OCD is in a street just behind the Virgin store.

Comment

Thanks to you, too, visualnickmos - I really should pop down to Montpellier, it is only an hour away from me on the autoroute. Very tempting!

Comment

Working...
                                X