Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

If you have the Chandos 30 box, as I do (and very recommendable) you certainly won't want Chandos 40 since 30 of the 40 discs are identical to the previous issue. Missed opportunity?

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      If you have the Chandos 30 box, as I do (and very recommendable) you certainly won't want Chandos 40 since 30 of the 40 discs are identical to the previous issue. Missed opportunity?
      Looks a good set for me in terms only a few duplications. I can understand the logic of repeating the 30 for the 40, but perhaps they should have offered a 10 disc supplementary box as well, however, with the great catalogue they have, why on earth do they have to duplicate two discs which are in the Jarvi Lifetime box?

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Looks a good set for me in terms only a few duplications. I can understand the logic of repeating the 30 for the 40, but perhaps they should have offered a 10 disc supplementary box as well, however, with the great catalogue they have, why on earth do they have to duplicate two discs which are in the Jarvi Lifetime box?
        I've just had a more careful look at the contents of the new box and realise that the duplication is not as great as my first cursory impression led me to believe. Sorry about that misleading statement. The new box does look attractive but the number of duplicates might still put me off.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

I've noticed another upcoming box - one which seems to me very welcome and indeed long overdue: A 12 disc Ernst Haeflliger Edition. (Details of contents at jpc). At about £3 a disc I would count it as a bargain. He is one my favourite tenors and I certainly have a few LPs but I have hardly any CDs on which he performs. His performance of Schumann's Dichterliebe with Erik Werba was my first recording of that work about 50 (!) years ago (coupled with Beethoven's An die ferne Geliebte). I've been waiting for a digital reissue for a very long time and shall certainly be snapping this one up.

Comment

• mathias broucek
            • Nov 2010

Berlin Phil own label VERY cheap at 7 digital.

Box sets (Rattle Sibelius and Beethoven, Harnoncoirt Schubert, Adams) about £12 for 24 bit. Petrenko Tchaikovsky 6 also very reasonable

Same site has the Jurowski Tchaikovsky and 10th anniversary boxes for £6.50. The latter takes some finding - it came up under Tracks rather than albums. Both 16 bit only.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
              Berlin Phil own label VERY cheap at 7 digital.

Box sets (Rattle Sibelius and Beethoven, Harnoncoirt Schubert, Adams) about £12 for 24 bit. Petrenko Tchaikovsky 6 also very reasonable

Same site has the Jurowski Tchaikovsky and 10th anniversary boxes for £6.50. The latter takes some finding - it came up under Tracks rather than albums. Both 16 bit only.
              Great spot. LPO 10 years duly found (via searching under Brahms Requiem) - alas, their payment system appears to be temporarily indisposed any which way one tries to pay. Hope it works later.

Now downloaded. If you want to search for the BPO sets, enter Berliner Philharmoniker in the search box.
              Last edited by HighlandDougie; 14-07-19, 10:30.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

Does a digital booklet come with the Berlin PO label sets? No mention on 7 digital so far. Just so I know.... Thanks.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                  Does a digital booklet come with the Berlin PO label sets? No mention on 7 digital so far. Just so I know.... Thanks.
                  Not on the only one I've downloaded so far. Which will be irritating for the Adams....

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
                    Not on the only one I've downloaded so far. Which will be irritating for the Adams....
                    And, of course, you don't get the videos, either. Some of the sets look hardly cheaper than the original Berliner Philharmoniker physical sets, (which tend to come with a range of download options in additon to the discs and extensive programme notes).

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      They don't. However, e.classical.com also sells BPO downloads and helpfully provides PDFs of the relevant booklets, as in:

for the Adams and:

for the Harnoncourt/Schubert. I haven't checked on the Rattle sets but I'm fairly certain that e.classical also sells them. They also sell the Jurowski Tchaikovsky set but, not, alas the 10 years set so I'll just have to do without the notes. At the price, I will not be complaining.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                        They don't. However, e.classical.com also sells BPO downloads and helpfully provides PDFs of the relevant booklets, as in:

for the Adams and:

for the Harnoncourt/Schubert. I haven't checked on the Rattle sets but I'm fairly certain that e.classical also sells them. They also sell the Jurowski Tchaikovsky set but, not, alas the 10 years set so I'll just have to do without the notes. At the price, I will not be complaining.
                        Thanks Dougie. It's the Adams that I'm most interested in getting the texts for. I have most of the vocal works in the Jurowski box!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                          • Jan 2014

The Jurowski and 10th anniversary box is also sold by Chandos (The Classical Shop as was) and they do provide the booklet......
                          Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Prompted by Richard F’s mention of the Haitink/Mahler (including BluRay) at Amazon at a lowish price and if you are an Amazon Prime member, some DG/Decca bargains to be found today. Not at ridiculously low prices, but the Big Bach Box is £200 - and Lise Davidsen’s 4LS is £3.90, should one want to confirm (or not) Iain Burnside’s damning of it with faint praise on Saturday’s BaL.

Comment

• Mal
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                              ...e.classical.com ... helpfully provides PDFs of the relevant booklets...
                              Any thoughts on which (bargain) tablets provide the best reading experience? It's "prime day (15-16th July)" on Amazon UK, Kindle 7s are going for £29.99.

Comment

• Parry1912
                                • Nov 2010

Lots of Naxos at bargain prices (< 3 euros) on jpc.de

I bought some Casella discs (among other things)
                                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Working...
                                X