Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    I succumbed to the Melos Ensemble 11CD EMI Icon set seeing it for only £18 at play.com. (Amazon £29)
    http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/1831...n/Product.html
    Looks like EMI has got rid of spelling checkers: I am quite sure it is Birtwistle, without an h.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Many thanks for this information hafod - and best wishes for your forthcoming birthday
      And from me on both counts - however, beware: ale & bubbly will give you a giant hangover.

Here are the results for the forthcoming S. Richter Rachmaninov SACD from Praga:

Site Original Your currency Shipping Total
      amazon.co.uk £12.77 £12.77 free shipping £12.77
      amazon.fr €9.58 £7.84 £4.95 £12.80
      amazon.de €17.17 £14.06 £4.91 £18.97

I'll wait for hmv.com to come up with a price.

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        Looks like EMI has got rid of spelling checkers: I am quite sure it is Birtwistle, without an h.
        Well spotted. Someone else must have pointed out this error to them. It arrived this morning with Birtwistle spelt correctly on the box.

Comment

... clearly they purloined the H from the Archiv copy I have of Handel's "Belsazar" (it says on the CD spine...)

[yes, i know it's the German - but still... ]

Comment

Originally posted by ostuni View Post
            Oh dear: the title of your post sums it up perfectly... But thanks for a really useful link; happy birthday from me too (celebrating mine today, as it happens!)
            Oh many Happy Happies, ostuni - the drinks are meant to offer a choice and not necessarily compulsory mixing if it doesn't suit you.

I wish we had a pork pie emoticon too

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Oh many Happy Happies, ostuni
              Seconded!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Whilst browsing Amazon forthcoming releases I came across this:

By my calculations on a maximum of 240 minutes, this is less than 5 minutes per piece - so what is the selection or what is in cut form?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  Whilst browsing Amazon forthcoming releases I came across this:

By my calculations on a maximum of 240 minutes, this is less than 5 minutes per piece - so what is the selection or what is in cut form?
                  And there's this:

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                    The cheapest way to get this set seems to be from Amazon Canada. It is $15.99 Canadian which is £10.01 plus £4.37 shipping - total £14.38 which is below the level that attracts import duty.

I should have waited. I splashed out £31.34 (including p&p) on:

some 4 years ago. Mind you, the price has gone up a little since then.

Comment

Thanks for that info on Walter's set. I found this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...083596&sr=1-37

Not sure if it's any good, but the CDs are cheaper than the downloads.

One other thing - is it worth taking a chance on higher value sets with overseas ourchases? I've still not bought the Bernstein Symphony Editipn. It's still cheaper at Amazon.de. There's a choice of delivery options - 7 euros for the slow one, and 24 euros for 3 day delivery. I'm not in a hurry, but presumably the 24 euros option will be tracked, while the 7 euro one might not be. In the event of non delivery is there any come back with Amazon.de? It'd obviously be better to pay more, either the extra 24 euros, or even just order in the UK for about £90, rather than have a non delivery or damaged delivery. I can take a chance on lower value purchases from the US or Canada, but for £70 or more it is worth taking precautions against loss. What do others think?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                        In the event of non delivery is there any come back with Amazon.de? It'd obviously be better to pay more, either the extra 24 euros, or even just order in the UK for about £90, rather than have a non delivery or damaged delivery. I can take a chance on lower value purchases from the US or Canada, but for £70 or more it is worth taking precautions against loss. What do others think?
                        Dave: on distance selling contracts within the EU you have the protection of the distance selling Directive. Not only is it the seller's responsibility to deliver the goods to your doorstep (so loss in transit is their problem), you also have the right to cancel the contract within 7 days after delivery and get your money back. But NB with audiovisual and computer software products you lose the right to cancel when you break any seal on the product. This is to prevent the ungodly opening, copying and returning it for a refund! IIRC amazon.de is much better at setting out the arrangements for cancellation plainly in the sales documentation that comes in the package than their UK brethren.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Thanks for that info on Walter's set. I found this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...083596&sr=1-37

I've still not bought the Bernstein Symphony Editipn. It's still cheaper at Amazon.de. There's a choice of delivery options - 7 euros for the slow one, and 24 euros for 3 day delivery.
                          Dave - I bought it from German Amazon and had it delivered via the cheap option. It was to France and, as I have found La Poste to be even more prone to losing (or simply not delivering) mail than Royal Mail, I reckon you should be fine with that method. Amazon may well use one of their favoured carriers which might also give you a tracking option (all the stuff I buy from Amazon UK themselves to be delivered to France via what they call standard delivery now seems to come with tracking, even with La Poste). It's a great buy at the German Amazon price. HD

Comment

... I have bought fairly often from amazon.fr and amazon.de - and have never encountered any problems so far.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... I have bought fairly often from amazon.fr and amazon.de - and have never encountered any problems so far.
                              I've got the same experience - no problems whatsoever.

Comment

I've got the same experience - no problems whatsoever.
                                Ditto.

Comment

Working...
                                X