Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't already have Britten's own recording of the War Requiem it's on Amazon for £4.47:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-War-..._rhf_gw_shvl22
    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Jochum's Bruckner set seems reasonably priced right now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Com.../dp/B00004YA0T

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Jochum's Bruckner set seems reasonably priced right now - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Com.../dp/B00004YA0T
        I bought it several years ago for £35 and I thought at the time that was an incredible bargain! At the price now on offer it is, as they say, a no-brainer.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          I bought it several years ago for £35 and I thought at the time that was an incredible bargain! At the price now on offer it is, as they say, a no-brainer.
          Any preferences for the EMI or the DGG Jochum sets?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Interesting question, Cloughie, and as I don't possess the DG set (except for the 4th) I'd also be intrigued to hear from those who have both.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

For me the EMI is a clear preference as I have a weakness for the Staatskapelle Dresden
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Much prefer Jochum with the Dresdeners on EMI to the Berliners on DGG...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  prefer Jochum with the Dresdeners on EMI to the Berliners on DGG...
                  I have the opposite view. Much as I love the SD, the brass is a little fierce on the EMI set. I therefore prefer the DG set although the DG 8th isn't great (the tempo changes in the Adagio are a bit much even by EJ's normal standards).

That said, anyone who likes Bruckner and/or Jochum shouldn't hesitate at that price - the 9th is truly outstanding.

BTW I find that, like Karajan and Wand, Jochum's very best Bruckner is often away from his complete sets (e.g. the 1986 Concertgebouw 5th, Hamburg 8th)

Comment

Classical Music Mobile has the Leinsdorf Die Walkure. The cast look good (esp. Vickers and Brouwenstijn) and the price is a laugh (1 Euro) but is it worth my bandwidth or time? Grateful for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by martin_opera View Post
                      ...is it worth my bandwidth or time?
                      Shouldn't take too much of either - the recodings are encoded at a bitrate of 192 kbps
                      Steve

Comment

Classical Music Mobile has the Leinsdorf Die Walkure. The cast look good (esp. Vickers and Brouwenstijn) and the price is a laugh (1 Euro) but is it worth my bandwidth or time? Grateful for advice.
                        I've been generally pleased with the stuff I've purchased from them.

Comment

The performance is very good, if that's part of what's making you pause.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I was doing my occasional look at the bargain basement. I came across this. Is it good turtle soup or merely the mock?

Comment

I was doing my occasional look at the bargain basement. I came across this. Is it good turtle soup or merely the mock?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Symphony-Nos...4075939&sr=1-3
                              A bit thin on detail, but if Mozart himself was the recording artist, as indicated, it must be worth 1p of anyone's money.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                                A bit thin on detail, but if Mozart himself was the recording artist, as indicated, it must be worth 1p of anyone's money.
                                No fear, there's a £1.26 P&P charge on top!

How about this for a bargain http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Trist...4096649&sr=1-1

Comment

Working...
                                X