Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Though not a Norrington fan, particularly post LCP, I might have been tempted at the price for a comparative listen.
    Perhaps a comparison with Celi and the MPO!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Though not a Norrington fan, particularly post LCP, I might have been tempted at the price for a comparative listen.
      Perhaps a comparison against Celi / MPO?!!!!!!

Comment

Please forgive duplicate post!

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
          Giulini's Sony (Bavarian RSO) B minor Mass is £2.74 to pre-order on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Mass-Mi...9213187&sr=8-1
          As long as it really is a CD it seems quite good value. You also get £1 off to spend on MP3 downloads. I checked the details carefully, but when you hit the order button you get a message about the "Music Store", which is perhaps worrying.
          If it isn't a CD, then it's not being described properly. Currently sampling the other Giulini version with the New Philharmonia on a BBC disc via Spotify. Somewhat challenged sound wise - not sure it that's Spotify or the recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            As long as it really is a CD it seems quite good value. You also get £1 off to spend on MP3 downloads. I checked the details carefully, but when you hit the order button you get a message about the "Music Store", which is perhaps worrying.
            If it isn't a CD, then it's not being described properly. Currently sampling the other Giulini version with the New Philharmonia on a BBC disc via Spotify. Somewhat challenged sound wise - not sure it that's Spotify or the recording.
            I would not worry too much Dave. I have ordered stuff from Amazon which generated similar messages about buying from their Music Store (replete with £1 mp3 voucher) and the delivered items have always been CDs as described.

Comment

As long as it really is a CD
              I have ordered it on the basis that it clearly states "Format: Audio CD".

Comment

Have also been listening to the BBC Giulini recording. There are some lovely moments but also some very dodgy singing from the sops in the chorus in places. Am expecting better from the Bavarians.

Comment

... for the pluckers among you - I see that vol 11 of Barto's survey of the Weiss lute works is now out on Naxos .

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... for the pluckers among you - I see that vol 11 of Barto's survey of the Weiss lute works is now out on Naxos .
                    You have to admire Naxos for such an enterprise.....any idea how many volumes the series will finally run to, Vinteuil?

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      You have to admire Naxos for such an enterprise.....any idea how many volumes the series will finally run to, Vinteuil?
                      ... my rough back-of-envelope calculation: there are about 850 individual 'pieces' by Weiss, mainly in the form of about 100 'sonatas' (each containing say 6-10 pieces). Of the 100 or so 'sonatas', Barto has so far given us about thirty, in eleven CDs. So perhaps we are looking at some thirty or forty CDs in total?

Comment

I was looking for sets of Glazunov symphonies, and I noticed that currently the complete set by Otaka with the BBC NOW (with one symphony by Butt) is available as a download from iTunes for £4.49 at present. At that price it's a steal!

It's also available from Amazon if you don't want AAC, but costs more, at £6.99. The rather full blooded, but roughly recorded Fedoseyev set is available at both iTunes and at Amazon for £7.99, though I'm sure it goes cheaper than that at times. I'm guessing that the iTunes version would be better, but I don't suppose there's a lot in it. It'll depend whether you prefer AAC compression to MP3. Fedoseyev is very good, if you can live with the recording, which is particularly rough in Symphony 5. Perhaps try Otaka first if you haven't got these.

In the meantime, if you go looking for Peers [sic] Britten Brain Serenade at Amazon you'll find this for 89p - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serenade-Ten...2&sr=1-2-spell If you spell Peter Pears correctly you'll get this, which also "throws in" Les Illuminations - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-Sere...73937&sr=301-2

Odd the way the searches work, eh!

Comment

Britten's War Requiem on Decca, Britten, Pears etc is available now for £4.97!! Amazing Bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
                            Britten's War Requiem on Decca, Britten, Pears etc is available now for £4.97!! Amazing Bargain.
                            I know it's one of those works that's supposed to be great, but I've never quite got it somehow.

Comment

I was looking for sets of Glazunov symphonies, and I noticed that currently the complete set by Otaka with the BBC NOW (with one symphony by Butt) is available as a download from iTunes for £4.49 at present. At that price it's a steal!

It's also available from Amazon if you don't want AAC, but costs more, at £6.99. The rather full blooded, but roughly recorded Fedoseyev set is available at both iTunes and at Amazon for £7.99, though I'm sure it goes cheaper than that at times. I'm guessing that the iTunes version would be better, but I don't suppose there's a lot in it. It'll depend whether you prefer AAC compression to MP3. Fedoseyev is very good, if you can live with the recording, which is particularly rough in Symphony 5. Perhaps try Otaka first if you haven't got these.

In the meantime, if you go looking for Peers [sic] Britten Brain Serenade at Amazon you'll find this for 89p - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serenade-Ten...2&sr=1-2-spell If you spell Peter Pears correctly you'll get this, which also "throws in" Les Illuminations - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Britten-Sere...73937&sr=301-2

Odd the way the searches work, eh!
                              Bloody Apple. I have just tried to create an iTunes identity with the aim of purchasing said Glazunov download. I got the to the email verification stage and was asked for my iTunes identity, which I was seeking to get them to create for me. So, I clicked on the link provided for those who have "forgotten" their iTunes identity (well I had not forgotten it, I never knew it). However, the link took me not to somewhere to 'remind' me of my iTunes identity, but to somewhere to reset my iTunes password (which was not the problem I was seeking to resolve. I knew my password perfectly well). What useless idiot wrote the software for that 'facility'? I've given up. They can keep their download. Yet again, my antipathy towards Apple products has been vindicated and reinforced.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Bloody Apple. I have just tried to create an iTunes identity with the aim of purchasing said Glazunov download. I got the to the email verification stage and was asked for my iTunes identity, which I was seeking to get them to create for me. So, I clicked on the link provided for those who have "forgotten" their iTunes identity (well I had not forgotten it, I never knew it). However, the link took me not to somewhere to 'remind' me of my iTunes identity, but to somewhere to reset my iTunes password (which was not the problem I was seeking to resolve. I knew my password perfectly well). What useless idiot wrote the software for that 'facility'? I've given up. They can keep their download. Yet again, my antipathy towards Apple products has been vindicated and reinforced.
                                Maybe! I'm surprised that you fell over a problem here. Apple does have some problems and strange quirks, but really there shouldn't be a problem. I've got an Apple ID, and rather to my surprise there have been very few serious problems over five or six years at least.

I'd suggest having another go when you are less stressed. If that fails, then give up. For the most part I dislike Microsoft and Windows far more than Apple. You should be able to get this working really quite quickly and easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X