Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    Loughran's Beethoven symphonies were released on the late lamented Enigma label. Enigma has some fantastically naturally recorded music. If I remember correctly the engineer was Tony Faulkner, one of my favourite engineers.
    Thank you. Enigma - I remember now!

Comment

Loughran's Beethoven symphonies were released on the late lamented Enigma label. Enigma has some fantastically naturally recorded music. If I remember correctly the engineer was Tony Faulkner, one of my favourite engineers.
      Who owns them now and why have they never been issued on CD.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Who owns them now and why have they never been issued on CD.
        I think some of the Enigma recordings turned up later on ASV. I've no idea who owns them now. Probably gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere. I'd love to hear them again.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Yes, Borgstede did the Handel for brilliant - and the Couperin, too. Both highly recommendable!
          Thanks Vinteuil....I'll certainly give the Handel a try. As for the Couperin, well, I have all of that from Rousset which in my opinion would be hard to beat.

Comment

I think some of the Enigma recordings turned up later on ASV. I've no idea who owns them now. Probably gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere. I'd love to hear them again.
            I picked up the Beethoven Symphony LP box at a car-boot sale for £1 a couple of years ago but a bargain CD set would be welcome - perhaps Brilliant could license!

Comment

Herreweghe's complete series of Bach for Harmonia Mundi now available on 27 CDs for under £50 on Amazon...seems like remarkable value to me, but I really don't think my shelves can take anymore!!

Comment

The free download in The Classical Shop's March newsletter is the St Petersburg String Quartet's performances of the Debussy and Ravel Quartets.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                  Herreweghe's complete series of Bach for Harmonia Mundi now available on 27 CDs for under £50 on Amazon...seems like remarkable value to me, but I really don't think my shelves can take anymore!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294
                  My clicking finger twitched but like you I thought of my shelving (and my wife's comments about my alleged obsessive CD purchase syndrome) and reluctantly resisted.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    My clicking finger twitched but like you I thought of my shelving (and my wife's comments about my alleged obsessive CD purchase syndrome) and reluctantly resisted.
                    I saved money over the weekend by NOT buying a Squeezebox Touch - one of the remaining blemished box models for £129.99 (now NLA).

Maybe these CDs won't actually take up too much shelf space! It's only 9 "books" after all, and if they look like books they can be put on bookshelves, can't they?

Comment

Dave, stop it, you are doing nothing to help me resist temptation!! I understand this collection is beautifully presented, so no cheap and cheerful budget box standards here.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        Dave, stop it, you are doing nothing to help me resist temptation!! I understand this collection is beautifully presented, so no cheap and cheerful budget box standards here.
                        Perhaps we really should have a thread for CDs etc. Anonymous. Others have suggested it, perhaps in jest. Maybe we should do it seriously. We could post all the issues we HAVEN'T bought, and maybe have a prize for the person who has the highest total (value and number of CDs!) of unbought discs.

Maybe we should have some other support too, such as "you don't really need that one, you've already got three other versions and you've not played all of them yet"
                        So that's a no to this Bach collection then.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Perhaps we really should have a thread for CDs etc. Anonymous. Others have suggested it, perhaps in jest. Maybe we should do it seriously. We could post all the issues we HAVEN'T bought, and maybe have a prize for the person who has the highest total (value and number of CDs!) of unbought discs.

Maybe we should have some other support too, such as "you don't really need that one, you've already got three other versions and you've not played all of them yet"
                          So that's a no to this Bach collection then.
                          ................or maybe the ones we have bought but not yet listened to, then maybe suggest not buying any more until we have listened to those we already have.

Comment

................or maybe the ones we have bought but not yet listened to, then maybe suggest not buying any more until we have listened to those we already have.
                            Or the ones we've bought, not realising we already have them. I'd be a front-runner!

Comment

Just received one of my 1p purchases through the post. Not 1 but 6CDs for 1p plus £1.26 p&p. The set in question, 100 Best Tunes. After all my bleatings about bleeding chunks I shouldn't have - there are some good tracks on it, however, but the downside is definitely the chunks, but even worse the chunks of chunks eg the conclusion of Land of Hope and Glory, 5 minutes of Tchaik's R&J - the compiler is clearly a failed butcher!

Comment

Just received one of my 1p purchases through the post. Not 1 but 6CDs for 1p plus £1.26 p&p. The set in question, 100 Best Tunes. After all my bleatings about bleeding chunks I shouldn't have - there are some good tracks on it, however, but the downside is definitely the chunks, but even worse the chunks of chunks eg the conclusion of Land of Hope and Glory, 5 minutes of Tchaik's R&J - the compiler is clearly a failed butcher!
                                My first 1p (actually £1.27 including p&p) turned up yesterday, (nigel kennedy's KAFKA album). Would I have paid £1.00 for it in a charity shop? I'm not sure. I'm currently steeling myself to spin it.

Comment

Working...
                                X