Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last night I gave up when I got to page 130 of the £0.01 'classical' CDs, though I had ordered four along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      Well, this is the basic principle but it is very time-consuming (and hit 'low to high' rather than the other way round) and throws up acres of dross. Try putting in a well known record label or artist as well. I have just tried adding 'Mackerras' and, inter alia, thrown up these two
      Madness lies this way. This is my technique - and I've purchased an absurd number of CDs this way in the last 12 months for <£1 + p&p

Comment

... acres of dross.

Such understatement!

The LSO/Goosens Stravinsky disc ordered via this thread on Monday night arrived in the post a few minutes ago.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
          Madness lies this way.
          Steady on! Surely moderation kicks in or perhaps there is a disorder relating to the compulsive buying of classical recordings?
          How widespread might such a condition be and is it made worse by threads such as this?

Comment

Steady on! Surely moderation kicks in or perhaps there is a disorder relating to the compulsive buying of classical recordings?
            How widespread might such a condition be and is it made worse by threads such as this?
            Do we need an on-line branch of CD Buyers Anonymous? It's not a cost problem, but at these prices how long before space is a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Do we need an on-line branch of CD Buyers Anonymous? It's not a cost problem, but at these prices how long before space is a problem?
              Or finding time to listen to them all at least once.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Go into Amazon, put in classical in search, but leave other panel blank, then go followed by sort by price, high to low.
                I have on occasion used search techniques on another site - CD Selections. From time to time they have offers at prices such as 99p, even 49p or maybe £1.49 or £1.99. In that site you can actually search for values such as 0.99 and then trawl through what comes up. Used to work, anyway. Once you've found one, there are sometimes ways of finding similar items, perhaps based on prices, but sometimes on the product coding, and also by the recommendations linking from each item.

Comment

Not strictly in the "bargains" category, I suppose, but Presto Classical are currently offering 20% off Hanssler Classics issues. It's just cost me an arm and a leg in Schuricht and Norrington issues alone. I daren't look at the Gielen listing.

Comment

A whole tranche of forthcoming SACDs from EMI and at reasonable prices from MDT:

Comment

PJPJ

Just had a look at the first tranche and can't see anything I'd rush to buy. But it is just the beginning, and there are a lot of goodies in their back catalogue that I would buy.

BTW, Universal are expected to announce their 24/96 download programme this week - or so I've been told by my contact at Linn.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Not strictly in the "bargains" category, I suppose, but Presto Classical are currently offering 20% off Hanssler Classics issues. It's just cost me an arm and a leg in Schuricht and Norrington issues alone. I daren't look at the Gielen listing.
                        Oh Lordy - and today's pay day too - How will I explain this to Mr Iain Dunkin-Smiff?

Comment

I feared further financial ruin but, like Mahlerei, can't see much to tempt me, although I've just bought a new SACD/Blu Ray player so I'm sure that I could easily persuade myself that there is something worth buying. Great, though, that EMI has entered the SACD market in the UK - it'll be much cheaper than buying ruinously expensive Japanese issues. Universal 24/96 is also excellent news. Maybe I could re-mortgage the house ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                            PJPJ

Just had a look at the first tranche and can't see anything I'd rush to buy. But it is just the beginning, and there are a lot of goodies in their back catalogue that I would buy.

BTW, Universal are expected to announce their 24/96 download programme this week - or so I've been told by my contact at Linn.
                            I've rushed to buy several!

Good news about the Universal 24/96; I noticed several more Decca on the Linn site.

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                              Good news about the Universal 24/96; I noticed several more Decca on the Linn site.
                              I wonder about Linn's download pricing policy.

They offer a number of the Channel Classics CDs and charge £18.00 for either 96/24 or 192/24.

The interesting thing is that Channel Classics themselves offer high quality downloads, at a lower price: £14.05 for 96/24 and £16.43 for 192/24 - the former being significantly lower than Linn's price for the same thing.

Assuming that Linn just takes Channel Classics files without doing any additional processing the £4 mark up on the 96/24 download seems grossly excessive to say the least which makes me suspect the company of profiteering.

Comment

I recently decided I should get to know the Shostakovich songs. Delos have a highly praised complete edition on 5CDs which Europadisc have at £10 each till 29 March. Possibly not a massive bargain but certainly a much better price than elsewhere at the moment. (Amazon £13.44)
                                Shostakovich - Complete Songs Vol.1 | Contents:- 2 Romances, Op.84 Natalia Biryukova (mezzo-soprano)Yuri Serov (piano)- 4 Songs, Op.86 Victoria Evtodieva (

Comment

Working...
                                X