• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Wasn't there a 12 inch LP with the VW8 on one side, and Bax - Tintagel on the other? I think I've still got a copy somewhere. Is that the same version of VW8?
    Not sure it was Tintagel, but there was a later 12" LP issue on Pye Golden Guinea. I had the 10" Nixa, bought in a sale.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Wasn't there a 12 inch LP with the VW8 on one side, and Bax - Tintagel on the other? I think I've still got a copy somewhere. Is that the same version of VW8?
      Pye Golden Guinea stereo GSGC 14061, with Butterworth's Shropshire Lad as well as the Bax and Vaughan-Williams. Yes, same version.

The Symphonies 2 and 8 coupling was also issued on Dutton Barbirolli Society CDJSB 1021 which I've just discovered on my shelves, sitting alongside the EMI (and which I have no recollection whatsoever of buying)

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
        ... The Symphonies 2 and 8 coupling was also issued on Dutton Barbirolli Society CDJSB 1021 which I've just discovered on my shelves, ...
        Ditto.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

I think that the Barbirolli 8 was the first recording, and if so is the version that has all the original percussion in the finale. One of my most exciting concerts was the first London performance with Barbirolli and the Halle at the RFH. I can still see a lady percussionist beating hell out of the tubular bells !
          RVW revised the symphony shortly afterwards, and trimmed some of the percussion out, rather a pity.

Comment

• PJPJ
            • Nov 2010

The very first performance has just been released by Dutton.

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              I think that the Barbirolli 8 was the first recording, and if so is the version that has all the original percussion in the finale. One of my most exciting concerts was the first London performance with Barbirolli and the Halle at the RFH. I can still see a lady percussionist beating hell out of the tubular bells !
              RVW revised the symphony shortly afterwards, and trimmed some of the percussion out, rather a pity.
              I am glad you say that, Ferretfancy. I grew up on that No 8 and remember the sleeve notes talking about RVW expecting as much tuned percussion as possible. Sir John certainly did his best and no recording has lived up to what I (tongue in cheek) earlier described as the rattle of cutlery. Thanks, everyone. Another hole in my plastic.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Questionable bargain, but it seems that Fedoseyev's set of Glazunov symphonies on Venezia is available on offer until around 3pm tomorrow (25th Jan) in the UK from HMV Japan.
                This might otherwise be very difficult to get, and seems to be the version with the good sound (some others are definitely not!). My calculations so far suggest a price of around £16, though not sure about carriage charges, and whether this would attract customs duty, and if so, how severe that would be.

See this message on separate thread - http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...392#post124392

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                  I am glad you say that, Ferretfancy. I grew up on that No 8 and remember the sleeve notes talking about RVW expecting as much tuned percussion as possible. Sir John certainly did his best and no recording has lived up to what I (tongue in cheek) earlier described as the rattle of cutlery. Thanks, everyone. Another hole in my plastic.
                  I think Barbirolli's 8th is still available on a Dutton Barbirolli Society CD. I am frequently surprised by what was recorded by whom. As far as I can check Barbirolli did NOT make commercial recordings of RVW's Syms 1/3/4/9.
                  Last edited by cloughie; 24-01-12, 23:16.

Comment

• robk
                    • Nov 2010

To those of you who have received the Klemperer Box - mine arrived today - there is a duff track on CD 4 track 4 (Bruckner 8 fourth movement). I would be interested to know if anyone has the same problem. EAC returns sync and timing errors and my CD player loses its way after a few minutes and gives up. My set will go back to Amazon for replacement tomorrow.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by robk View Post
                      To those of you who have received the Klemperer Box - mine arrived today - there is a duff track on CD 4 track 4 (Bruckner 8 fourth movement). I would be interested to know if anyone has the same problem. EAC returns sync and timing errors and my CD player loses its way after a few minutes and gives up. My set will go back to Amazon for replacement tomorrow.
                      No problems at all with my copy of the Bruckner 8. Is there any visible sign of poor reflective layer, or other likely cause of the problem with your disc? I will take your experience as a warning and check all ten discs a.s.a.p.

Comment

• robk
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        No problems at all with my copy of the Bruckner 8. Is there any visible sign of poor reflective layer, or other likely cause of the problem with your disc? I will take your experience as a warning and check all ten discs a.s.a.p.
                        There is no visible sign on the disc. I've extracted everything else successfully.

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by robk View Post
                          There is no visible sign on the disc. I've extracted everything else successfully.
                          I once had a disc which wouldn't play properly. Eventually I spotted that a piece of the cardboard sleeve - just a small bit - had become stuck to the disc by static attraction. It took quite a bit of effort - probably with a moistened cloth - to get it off. After that it played well. It was not very obvious even though I thought I'd looked at the disc carefully before.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

I've just checked my set; CD4, Tk 4, Bruckner 8 - no problems, but thank you for the alert, robk.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

For anyone else fancying the Membran Klemperer there's some good stuff in it but some is EMI material in less good sound than "official" releases. For me this was worth buying for an extremely uncomprosing Bruckner 8. A sort of anti-Jochum (I love Jochum but the counter view is interesting).

Full content is as follows

Beethoven 1, 2, 6, 8 - Philharmonia live in Vienna (1960)
                              Beethoven 3, 4, 9 - Cologne RSO live (1954-1958)
                              Beethoven 5, 7 - Philharmonia 1955 EMI recordings (not the ones from the complete cycle)
                              Beethoven Egmont - Philharmonia 1957 EMI recording
                              Brahms 1 - Cologne RSO live (1955)
                              Brahms 1 - Philharmonia 1959 EMI recording
                              Bruckner 4, 8 - Cologne RSO live (1954-1957)
                              Bruckner 4, 8 - Vienna SO live (1958)
                              Concertos - Cologne RSO live (1954-1956)

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Just received my Europadisc monthly list. Interesting Naxos bargain - 9 disc set of Debussy Orchestral music - Having purchased and enjoyed the seven volumes of Markl's recordings of the Debussy orchestral music I was somewhat dismayed to see the 9 disc set at bargain price, but no opportunity to purchase the additional 2 discs (the Debussy-Matthews Preludes) other than as part of the set. This appears a very poor way to reward loyal customers. Boxing up sets at a respectable time after initial issues (eg the Deneve Roussel) but this seems a strange move by a company that to date has not shown the inconsideration and greed of the majors. Perhaps Naxos is a new 'Major'.

Comment

Working...
                                X