Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPE Bach - a three CD set of the Prussian and Württemberg keyboard sonatas - on brilliant - by (of course) the indefatigable Pieter-Jan Belder, for £8-50

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      CPE Bach - a three CD set of the Prussian and Württemberg keyboard sonatas - on brilliant - by (of course) the indefatigable Pieter-Jan Belder, for £8-50
      Vinteuil, can you tell me how these recordings compare with the older set by Bob Van Asperen on Telefunken Das Alte Werk? The latter is now available on some web sites for much the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
        Vinteuil, can you tell me how these recordings compare with the older set by Bob Van Asperen on Telefunken Das Alte Werk? The latter is now available on some web sites for much the same price.
        Micky - i have the Belder on order.

I always found the van Asperen a bit dull - they date from the 1970s, and are a careful and correct rather than enlivening or spirited interpretation. Which is why I'm keen to get the Belder, who is to my mind a most attractive player - his Scarlatti, Bach, and Rameau all give me much pleasure. And at this price!
        Last edited by vinteuil; 16-03-12, 10:08. Reason: correction

Comment

Thanks for the speedy reply, Vinteuil! I missed the Van Asperen sets when they first came out. Did you get the Belder Handel suites on Brilliant? I understand they are pretty good.

Comment

Oops, sorry - I 've just seen that it wasn't Belder who did the Handel for Brilliant, but Borgstede. But has anyone heard that set?

Comment

I'm not sure if this is a bargain on this thread, but in Oxfam today I found an interesting early stereo LP of Louis Kentner playing Brahms 2 with the Philharmonia and Boult. The number is ASD 269, which is numerically next door to the Sargent Planets recorded in 1957, so it's one of EMI's first stereo releases. Kentner must have been getting on in years by then, and it's quite an old fashioned performance with some odd tempo changes for Boult to keep up with, but nevertheless a version which makes you admire the music anew. Apart from a few Liszt recordings, Kentner seems forgotten today, does anybody else know this one ? I don't think it's on CD

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                I'm not sure if this is a bargain on this thread, but in Oxfam today I found an interesting early stereo LP of Louis Kentner playing Brahms 2 with the Philharmonia and Boult. The number is ASD 269, which is numerically next door to the Sargent Planets recorded in 1957, so it's one of EMI's first stereo releases. Kentner must have been getting on in years by then, and it's quite an old fashioned performance with some odd tempo changes for Boult to keep up with, but nevertheless a version which makes you admire the music anew. Apart from a few Liszt recordings, Kentner seems forgotten today, does anybody else know this one ? I don't think it's on CD
                Didn't it turn up on MFP2053?

Comment

Louis Kentner playing Brahms 2 with the Philharmonia and Boult. . . Apart from a few Liszt recordings, Kentner seems forgotten today . . .
                  I don't know that Brahms recording. His Liszt recordings of the late 30s are IMV the best, and they include an outstanding Ballade No. 2, Hungarian Rhapsodies 2 and 9, Benediction de Dieu dans la solitude a.o.
                  My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I hope it's in EMI's forthcoming box of Boult's Brahms, Mozart, Schubert and so on.

Comment

As a callow youth I turned down the opportunity to house-sit for Louis Kentner who needed someone to do a bit of shopping, provide some company, cook a meal, etc.

What a chump!

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        Oops, sorry - I 've just seen that it wasn't Belder who did the Handel for Brilliant, but Borgstede. But has anyone heard that set?
                        Yes, Borgstede did the Handel for brilliant - and the Couperin, too. Both highly recommendable!

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                          . . . What a chump!
                          I'm not going to argue!!
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

My attention was first drawn to Louis Kentner via the Saga LP of his recording of Beethoven's Op. 106 which, to make the most of the dynamic range available from each LP side, commenced side A with the final movement and had an extra wide 'silent' band between the end and the start of the first movement which followed it. Side B, of course, comprised the second and third movements. A most sensible arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              My attention was first drawn to Louis Kentner via the Saga LP of his recording of Beethoven's Op. 106 which, to make the most of the dynamic range available from each LP side, commenced side A with the final movement and had an extra wide 'silent' band between the end and the start of the first movement which followed it. Side B, of course, comprised the second and third movements. A most sensible arrangement.
                              I can't remember the record company, but James Loughran's recoding of the Eroica with the Halle was issued in a similar way.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                                I can't remember the record company, but James Loughran's recoding of the Eroica with the Halle was issued in a similar way.
                                Loughran's Beethoven symphonies were released on the late lamented Enigma label. Enigma has some fantastically naturally recorded music. If I remember correctly the engineer was Tony Faulkner, one of my favourite engineers.
                                Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X