Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Cloughie, i agree...to a point. It has to be said , though that back list is cheaper than ever.
    1980. Chart album around £4/5...minimum wage equivalent around £40.
    I suspect that labels may try to switch people over to downloads.
    If Naxos push up to £8 and beyond, they may well find that people look to slightly discounted big label stuff(on amazon etc)f where they can...
    I'm speaking in relation to prices over the last few years. Compared to the 80s and 90s CDs are generally very cheap. Look at the price of the Rattle Mahler Symphonies - MDT have the set around a tenner, for a long time Sym 2 alone would set you back £20!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I'm speaking in relation to prices over the last few years. Compared to the 80s and 90s CDs are generally very cheap. Look at the price of the Rattle Mahler Symphonies - MDT have the set around a tenner, for a long time Sym 2 alone would set you back £20!
      agree, Naxos and other "bargain" labels are certainly going up fast....a dangerous game !!

mahler symphonies used to be bought on easy terms, and came in a box that would have cost more on its own than the CD today !!
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        agree, Naxos and other "bargain" labels are certainly going up fast....a dangerous game !!

mahler symphonies used to be bought on easy terms, and came in a box that would have cost more on its own than the CD today !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Don't forget that you can still get Naxos online at Sainsbury's Entertainment for £3.99!
          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
            Don't forget that you can still get Naxos online at Sainsbury's Entertainment for £3.99!
            so you can.... good knowledge, P1912.
            very tough on high st retailers that.....

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
              I would certainly recommend the set of six Frank Bridge Chandos cd's highly - wonderful music beautifully played and recorded. I collected the 6 volumes separately when they were first issued and have been listening to them and enjoying them again recently. The 6 discs are still available separately but will set you back around
              £9 - £10 each I believe. If you want this music the box priced around £23 or so is imv a bargain.
              I agree - the set is a revelation. I bought mine from blah for £19.89 delivered:
              Shop for the latest and greatest games and accessories for Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch. A wide selection of Music CDs; TV and Movies (on DVD and Blu-rays). Check our prices be...

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                I agree - the set is a revelation. I bought mine from blah for £19.89 delivered:
                http://www.blahdvd.com/Music/Frank-B...6X/product.htm
                Thank you. I had held back from ordering at the amazon marketplace price but blahdvd have tipped the balance, and disturbed that on my credit card.

Comment

Thanks folks.Decided it's just too good to resist......will just have to go to work again tomorrow !!Went for amazon, but it still looks a great buy......

better avoid discussing that American Jewish 50 cd set now......

Comment

I have considered buying this set before but have held back. Does anyone who has this set have any thoughts on it they wouldn't mind sharing ? It looks particularly inviting now in the MDT sale

Thanks.

Comment

Someone recently wanted Handel operas. Here are some - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Händel-Opera...5624234&sr=8-1

Not ultra cheap, but if you want them seems a good buy. [and of course the marketplace sellers get the cost down to under£2/CD]

Comment

I have considered buying this set before but have held back. Does anyone who has this set have any thoughts on it they wouldn't mind sharing ? It looks particularly inviting now in the MDT sale

Thanks.
                        I got this set when it first came out and have found it to be well worth having. Many of the recordings are of an older vintage but being the composer's statement they could all be said to be of interest for that reason alone. I was also attracted to the set because a lot of the works are less familiar repertoire and were new to my collection.
                        A detailed review here:

Comment

Thanks.
                          (EMI Composers in Person. 22 CDs for £22.15)

Your post prompted me to look at the contents again. I had previously passed it by, since I already have the component recordings of the composers of particular interest to me, bought when they first appeared (Hindemith, Stravinsky, Messiaen, Poulenc, Elgar, Villa-Lobos and Milhaud).

In spite of this, there is so much else that invites exploration at the current price, that I have ordered the set. Thanks for the reminder!

I am sure that you would find much of great musical, as well as historical, interest, and urge you to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            I got this set when it first came out and have found it to be well worth having. Many of the recordings are of an older vintage but being the composer's statement they could all be said to be of interest for that reason alone. I was also attracted to the set because a lot of the works are less familiar repertoire and were new to my collection.
                            A detailed review here:
                            http://www.musicweb-international.co...rs_2175752.htm
                            Thanks for the response and link to informative review.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                              (EMI Composers in Person. 22 CDs for £22.15)

Your post prompted me to look at the contents again. I had previously passed it by, since I already have the component recordings of the composers of particular interest to me, bought when they first appeared (Hindemith, Stravinsky, Messiaen, Poulenc, Elgar, Villa-Lobos and Milhaud).

In spite of this, there is so much else that invites exploration at the current price, that I have ordered the set. Thanks for the reminder!

I am sure that you would find much of great musical, as well as historical, interest, and urge you to give it a try.
                              Cheers DP

Comment

Someone recently wanted Handel operas.
                                I'd be interested in cheap sets of some of the oratorios. Apart from Messiah, they are much less frequently performed and broadcast than the operas and they contain a treasure trove of superb music (wonderful to hear Judas Maccabeus at the Proms this year, btw).

Comment

Working...
                                X