Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Unfortunately I also have the Rattle Mahler, which I thought was a bargain when I bought it. I've settled for Beethoven instead. Also the 20th and 19th Century masterpieces boxes look good (though I may have the 20th C already - can't check right now, so ordered anyway), plus the Composers in Person. A few others - Kovacevich doing Beethoven and Schubert. Leif Ove Andnes doing Schubert and songs and Schuman's violin concerto c/w Bernstein, hence the Slatkin interest. Bach with Kuijken was also appealing. Oh - and Show Boat!

I wonder if EMI will ever get round to issuing Kovacevich in Beethoven and Schubert in complete sets at affordable prices? I keep picking up odd ones in dribs and drabs, and they keep releasing them in new combinations - there's yet another Kovacevich 2CD collection to be released shortly. According to MDT some of the ones on offer will be deleted soon, but do I believe them? [obviously - the word "some" is not the same as "all"]
    Last edited by Dave2002; 22-08-12, 11:07. Reason: Composers - in Person

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

A few very good boxes which I have already (having paid slightly more for them) - Icons Gedda, Hans Hotter + Christa Ludwig and the Composers in Pesrson. At MDT's price I couldn't resist the two Record of Singing boxes.

Comment

• mathias broucek
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        .... but from the VW Prom programme last week I noticed/was reminded that he'd done a pretty decent VW performance at the Proms in 2008 - which I attended.
        That was a good concert. I too have partaken.

EMI and Sony are swelling my shelves far too rapidly. The Renier/Strauss and Abbado/Tchaik sets arrived yesterday for £9 + P&P

Comment

• Parry1912
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
          EMI and Sony are swelling my shelves far too rapidly.
          Don't forget Membran! I still haven't worked out where I'm going to keep the 'Masters of Music' box.
          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Whilst doing so I cross referenced amazon and other sources, and thought I'd check out Slatkin.
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new VW symphonies

Slatkin doing VW might be a good thing...
            Indeed - a VERY good thing. This a set that any RVW collector will want. It is always good to hear interpretations that are not 100% English, if I can put it - somewhat crudely - like that. The Boults, Barbirollis and Handleys are, of course indispensible...

Comment

• silvestrione
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by johnb View Post
              Sorry to have made it sound forbidding. Just download and install mp3tag. Open the software. Select File/Change Directory and point to the folder containing the Melos mp3 files. It will then display all the individual files and their tags. (You can scroll to see see tags off the screen to the left, change the display size for the tags or change their display positions, e.g. you can drag the Track heading to a more convenient place.)

You will then be able to see what the problem is. To edit any track/file - just click on it and the details will appear in the panel on the left. Edit what you want and then click on the floppy disc button, at the top, to save those edits. Easy! (Though a bit tedious.)
              Thanks for these lucid instructions. Will have a go!

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

anybody got this?
                looks fascinating...

this presumably is good stuff?http://www.mdt.co.uk/bridge-orchestr...ndos-6cds.html

Any wise thoughts?
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

this presumably is good stuff?http://www.mdt.co.uk/bridge-orchestr...ndos-6cds.html

Any wise thoughts?

ts looks good but is it a Bridge too far on my finances?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    ts looks good but is it a Bridge too far on my finances?
                    yes probably, to be Frank !
                    actually, doesn't seem much of a discount on the given RRP !
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

With p&p taken into consideration I might be cheaper via amazon.co.uk.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

I fear we're gradually moving out of the cheap CD era - the base price of many labels now is quite high - Chandos, for example, it seems quite hard to get the SNO Debussy set at a reasonable price and on one of my rare visits to the big city (Truro) I noted that HMV price for Naxos is now £8 - what happened to the ultra-budget price-tag?

Comment

• AmpH
                          • Feb 2012

Any wise thoughts?
                          I would certainly recommend the set of six Frank Bridge Chandos cd's highly - wonderful music beautifully played and recorded. I collected the 6 volumes separately when they were first issued and have been listening to them and enjoying them again recently. The 6 discs are still available separately but will set you back around
                          £9 - £10 each I believe. If you want this music the box priced around £23 or so is imv a bargain.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Cloughie, i agree...to a point. It has to be said , though that back list is cheaper than ever.
                            1980. Chart album around £4/5...minimum wage equivalent around £40.
                            I suspect that labels may try to switch people over to downloads.
                            If Naxos push up to £8 and beyond, they may well find that people look to slightly discounted big label stuff(on amazon etc)f where they can...

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                              I would certainly recommend the set of six Frank Bridge Chandos cd's highly - wonderful music beautifully played and recorded. I collected the 6 volumes separately when they were first issued and have been listening to them and enjoying them again recently. The 6 discs are still available separately but will set you back around
                              £9 - £10 each I believe. If you want this music the box priced around £23 or so is imv a bargain.
                              thanks AmpH...i am sorely tempted, just for the sleeves alone......!!

Comment

• PJPJ
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                                Ditto all round.

Comment

Working...
                                X