Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
    I think you're right. Australian Eloquence releases have invariably excellent SQ for their age and I suspect some use Japanese masters for release, eg the Ansermet series.

Which reminds me to recommend:

Beaux Arts Trio with Daniel Guilet, and the Melos with Lamar Crowson.
    Excellent, I agree. But if it's these BAT recordings you are after, they are still available over here (c/w the two string trios, by the Grumiaux trio, instead of the 'Trout') on a Decca twofer for much the same price, but post free:

Don't know if the Eloquence has different transfers, but the Decca ones sounded pretty good when they were on the original Philips Duo.

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

I don't know whether they're the same transfers, either. I got this for the Crowson-Melos Trout to begin with and only realised how fine the earlier Piano Trio recordings were after the event!

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        Excellent, I agree. But if it's these BAT recordings you are after, they are still available over here (c/w the two string trios, by the Grumiaux trio, instead of the 'Trout') on a Decca twofer for much the same price, but post free:

Don't know if the Eloquence has different transfers, but the Decca ones sounded pretty good when they were on the original Philips Duo.
        still can't get used to the demise of the Philips Logo - Is it 4387002 - if so it's a cracker!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          still can't get used to the demise of the Philips Logo - Is it 4387002 - if so it's a cracker!
          Yup! That was the Philips Duo - I have that version too.

(And I am a great fan of Crowson, and the Melos, PJPJ, so I was in no way trying to devalue your suggestion!)

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

For anyone who might have missed it in its earlier (and cheap) incarnation, I have a great fondness for

For boarders in France, it's even cheaper from French Amazon, but not released until next month. While I've no doubt that there are other individual performances which surpass those of Martinon (Deneve, most recently), it's a good-value recommendation for anyone who might not have this repertoire already.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              For anyone who might have missed it in its earlier (and cheap) incarnation, I have a great fondness for

For boarders in France, it's even cheaper from French Amazon, but not released until next month. While I've no doubt that there are other individual performances which surpass those of Martinon (Deneve, most recently), it's a good-value recommendation for anyone who might not have this repertoire already.
              I have the very much earlier jewel-cased set which annoyingly omits the Ravel piano concerti - and are these available separately, thank you EMI no!

Comment

• Don Petter

For boarders in France, it's even cheaper from French Amazon, but not released until next month.
                You don't have to be in France to buy from French Amazon - It works just like the UK version. Ditto German Amazon.

Comment

• PJPJ
                  • Nov 2010

Yup! That was the Philips Duo - I have that version too.

(And I am a great fan of Crowson, and the Melos, PJPJ, so I was in no way trying to devalue your suggestion!)
                  Don Petter, do you know if this Melos Ensemble recording in the EMI box is duplicated on Australian Eloquence? Or are they two different ones?

EMI contents:

Beethoven Septet (r. 1959):

I have a feeling something was issued on both labels at different times but cannot remember the details.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                    Don Petter, do you know if this Melos Ensemble recording in the EMI box is duplicated on Australian Eloquence? Or are they two different ones?

EMI contents:

Beethoven Septet (r. 1959):

I have a feeling something was issued on both labels at different times but cannot remember the details.
                    Yes - They will be different performances (same personnel), I think.

The Eloquence will be from Oiseau Lyre OL50185/SOL60015, reviewed in the October 1960 Gramophone.

The EMI from HMV HQS1286, reviewed as a new issue in February 1973.

Both reviews quite favourable, needless to say.

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the info..... just enjoying Boult's Wagner recordings today together with Wolf's Italian Serenade.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

You don't have to be in France to buy from French Amazon - It works just like the UK version. Ditto German Amazon.
                        Sorry, I should have it clear that what I meant was that by the time you add the postage (€6) to the price of the CDs (€14.99), there is no advantage in buying it from French Amazon if you live in the UK. If you live in France, though, and pay the smaller postage charge (or no charge), it's cheaper. The joys of Amazon's various national sites are, alas, probably all too well known to readers of this thread (I rue the day that Hafod 'discovered' amazon.es).

As to the piano concerti, Cloughie, they were available separately but a long, long time ago. See:

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I am looking for a decent compilation/box set of Handel opera highlights. The bigger the better, quality and price count too.

Any wise thoughts from the panel?!
                          Thanks .
                          (Hope this request isn't too CFM !!)
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

I'm almost ashamed to admit to owning this very CFM-like 2 CD set but it has a great mixture of performers - and performance styles. I listen to it while driving (that is very CFM, I fear). Cheapish, too:

Comment

• teamsaint
                              • Nov 2010

that looks like the kind of thing....not ashamed of the classic FM ishness in this case...still recovering from Thursday afternoons a couple of years ago !!
                              keep the suggestions coming !!
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

I'm almost ashamed to admit to owning this very CFM-like 2 CD set but it has a great mixture of performers - and performance styles. I listen to it while driving (that is very CFM, I fear). Cheapish, too:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handel-Gold-...5049277&sr=8-1
                                Good cast list - more golden chunks than bleeding chunks.

Comment

Working...
                                X