Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those equipped to play SACDs this non-hybrid release has Dowland - The Complete Solo Lute Music, over 4 hours of music on a single disc

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      :

Don't let some slightly below par lute playing put you off - it's a marvellous collection of all the songs, consort music etc - every note - now there's an idea, a complete Dowland day on R3 - fabulous renditions of the songs by Martyn Hill, Glenda Simpson, Emma K, Martyn Hill's "Now, o now" is one of my Desert Island Discs.
      Thanks. Yes, it was actually for the songs and consort music that I would consider getting hold of it. Being an avid collector of the vintage Florilegium series, I really think it is an essential purchase!

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
        If you don't mind downloads, members may be interested to learn that Georg Solti's Decca opera recordings - Strauss and Verdi - are available from iTunes at just £7.99 each - that's £7.99 for six Strauss operas, the same for seven Verdi operas. It's surely a pricing error, so I doubt it'll be around for long...
        I tried for these, but the download took longer than I expected. I got the Verdi set, but when I went back for the Strauss set it had reverted to £29.99p, as has the Verdi set.

Thanks for spotting it anyway. I would have liked Die Frau ohne Schatten. Win some, lose some!

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
          If you don't mind downloads, members may be interested to learn that Georg Solti's Decca opera recordings - Strauss and Verdi - are available from iTunes at just £7.99 each - that's £7.99 for six Strauss operas, the same for seven Verdi operas. It's surely a pricing error, so I doubt it'll be around for long...
          They still haven't spotted the pricing error at the Irish Store, where the asking price is €10.99.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
            They still haven't spotted the pricing error at the Irish Store, where the asking price is €10.99.
            I hope you grabbed these before posting! I don't think there's an easy way to choose the iTunes store, though maybe I just don't know how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              I hope you grabbed these before posting! I don't think there's an easy way to choose the iTunes store, though maybe I just don't know how to do that.
              The Verdi operas are currently downloading.
              To access the iTunes Store you need (a) iTunes installed on your computer and (b) an Apple ID.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                ...Martyn Hill's "Now, o now" is one of my Desert Island Discs.
                Oh yes, absolutely seconded - the best performance of any Dowland song (solo or consort) that I know of. Clear, limpid but so expressive (and beautifully ornamented). To think, when I first bought the disc I was disappointed to find that this song wasn't given a 4-part consort performance (which was how I knew it then)...

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
                  The Verdi operas are currently downloading.
                  To access the iTunes Store you need (a) iTunes installed on your computer and (b) an Apple ID.
                  Yes, but I also think you need a billing address in Ireland. Go for the Strauss as well, if you can.
                  I was also hoping they'd have the Mozart operas, but they didn't.

AFAIK I can't access the iTunes store based in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    AFAIK I can't access the iTunes store based in Ireland.
                    Sorry, I misunderstood. That's right, access is restricted to Irish billing addresses.

Comment

I absolutely hate downloads. The day they become the only way to purchae music is the day I will STOP BUYING music.

Buying a CD, either in a shop or online, should be analogous to arranging a sexual assignation with a complete stranger.: your eyes meet across a crowded thoroughfare, you make a quick arrangement to meet in the near/immediate future, then hotly anticipate the liaison.

With downloads, it's all over before it's begun: and there's nothing to touch, or feel. Horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                        I absolutely hate downloads. The day they become the only way to purchae music is the day I will STOP BUYING music.

Buying a CD, either in a shop or online, should be analogous to arranging a sexual assignation with a complete stranger.: your eyes meet across a crowded thoroughfare, you make a quick arrangement to meet in the near/immediate future, then hotly anticipate the liaison.

With downloads, it's all over before it's begun: and there's nothing to touch, or feel. Horrible.
                        I'm not sure about your sexy stories.

I agree with you, up to a point, but today the £7.99 deal was a good one.

I'm a bit concerned by looking at the US Amazon site - there seem to be fewer CDs and more downloads, or maybe that's just an impression from the last few days.

Sometimes there is no CD. I fear that this pattern may also be noted over here.

Comment

Do agree and what a great analogy! Perhaps my stockpiling of CD's is insurance against the event.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Instinctively I agree with you ... but upon reading Alan Walker's fascinating book about Liszt I resolved to investigate recordings of his Schubert song transcriptions. There are six CDs from Hyperion (Vol 32 and 33 of Leslie Howard''s Complete Edition.)
                            The downloads are less than half the price of the CDs. I then burned all the tracks in their compressed format onto one CD. I can look at it and touch it if I want to and have included Hyperion's cover picture which came with the download. I can play the tracks on my DVD player through my amp and the whole lot takes up less shelf space. (+ I'm really enjoying the recordings). I'm not a convert to downloading but it has its uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Do agree and what a great analogy! Perhaps my stockpiling of CD's is insurance against the event.
                              Thirded! Apart from anything else my computer (with its tiny speakers) is in the study (when we sell the house it will once again be described as a bedroom). I have no internet connection on my hi-fi system, nor room for any more equipment. To start using downloads would mean redesigning my life, and a load of new kit. I don't have a portable device because I would never want to listen to music on the move.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Not a brand new bargain but a bargain none-the-less ...

Andreas Staier 10 CDs for under £14 inc P&P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andreas-Stai...SIN=B005L12SI0
                                Thanks Am. What a bargain this is. Magnificent performances and recordings.

Comment

Working...
                                X