Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Bear in mind that you can also download the booklet notes from the Chandos site:

http://www.chandos.net/pdf/CHAN%209944.pdf
    many thanks Bryn. I was wondering if they were tucked away in the download somewhere. never thought to check the Chandos site..What a chump. Still I'm learning, and that's the thing !!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post

Did you try copying as mp3s or as CDs? My car CD player will play mp3s, so quite good for this sort of thing - they might all go on one or two CDs. I'll let you know if I try that.
      As you have probably already discovered, the contents of CDs 1 to 4 will fit on a single mp3 CD but you can't quite squeeze the 5th on too. While simply burning the mp3s to a data CD-R will get them on there, they will quite often turn out to be in the wrong order for convenient playback. If you have Nero Burning ROM on your PC, it will probably have an option to burn a "Jukebox Disc". I find this gets the mp3s in the right order. I have just used it to burn the folders labelled "disc 1" to "disc 4" to a CD-R and its is now playing back via a Philips Blu-ray deck. If you do encounter problems getting movements to plays in the right order, you might like to try copying and pasting together the movements using Mp3DirectCut, which is freeware and an superb tool for editing mp3, mp2 and aac files (the latter need to be in straight aac format, not m4a or FLV etc.).

For disc 5 I think I will just convert the mp3s to WAV and burn a standard audio CD-R. WinAmp's Nullsoft Disk Writer option does the conversion easily.

[Oops, it looks like some of the file names for tracks on disc 5 might be too long for WinAmp's Nullsoft Disk Writer option to handle.]

[[O.k., the very simple and basic MP3 to WAV Converter does just what it says on the tin.]]
      Last edited by Bryn; 15-10-12, 20:56. Reason: Update

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        "Two CDs for £9" boasts Amazon. Curious punter that I am, I click on the 'classical' genre, where all of 15 discs are listed.

What gems do we have here?

Vangelis and Mike Oldfield

Perhaps they meant to say Classic! Ah but then Katherine Jenkins is there.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          I think that is the first symphony Dave.
          I think I copied as CD.....i am an absolute downloading novice, and generally ill informed on tech matters!
          I must try to put this right, as no doubt I am missing out.
          anyway, loving this music. EdegelyRob really got me into it by recommending the 7th a while back...
          Thanks. I'm having significant problems trying to download this set - perhaps because I'm using an iMac. There's no sign that anything is happening, and as yet no traces have appeared on the hard drive. Maybe I'll have to switch to a PC (shudder!) to get these downloaded.

One other thing - I noticed that there is also a set of Parry symphonies for £7.99. Not as good value, but enthusiasts may welcome that.

Comment

Also notice the Chandos sets of the Alwyn and Schmidt symphonies for the same price.
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              The seventh is a wonderfui piece TS,enjoy.
              The glorious big tune in the scherzo 2nd movement gets me everytime.
              Yes, and me! Has for years, in the Boult recording though, originally a Lyrita LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Thanks. I'm having significant problems trying to download this set - perhaps because I'm using an iMac. There's no sign that anything is happening, and as yet no traces have appeared on the hard drive. Maybe I'll have to switch to a PC (shudder!) to get these downloaded.

One other thing - I noticed that there is also a set of Parry symphonies for £7.99. Not as good value, but enthusiasts may welcome that.
                The major problems with downloading from the Classics Online site have now been overcome. With Mac OS X at least it is important to do the following:

1. Download and install the Classics Online downloader into the Applications folder.

2. Go into the user Manage Account area of the Classics Online site and check the box to start off the downloader automatically when the downloads are selected from the download web page. It's pretty far down the page, so easy to miss. It's headed Download Manager, and the text reads "Enable Classicsonline Download Manager"

If the first step is not done properly who knows whether anything will happen, or not! Files may (or not) be downloaded. If they are downloaded they may end up in the Download folder, but will have obscure file names, such as - 095115994429_04_03.mp3
                It is possible to find out what they are by using the Info feature in Mac OS X, but not really a good way to go. The files can be imported into iTunes, and this may then enable the music content to be determined. It is still not the way to go, though!

If the second step is not done properly, the situation will probably be as described above. If the link is made to the downloader by checking the box in the Manage Account area, then things get better. In this case the audio files will almost certainly be downloaded automatically, and will have sensible folder structure and file names. It is then easy to back them off, or to import them into iTunes or other programs.

If this is obvious, then forgive me for reiterating it here. When I started I didn't know this, but I had a few tips and hints from Customer Support, and even a link to a manual. It might have been a case of RTFM, though I didn't see a manual to read in the first place. Possibly temporary blindness, but it sure didn't feel like that.

Now I've sorted it, downloading seems quite easy and quick. One little snag which didn't quite catch me out. If you do too many download operations in ignorance, the system will stop you downloading more. This only happened to me with one track, which seemed to be a free one anyway (you seem to get a few free tracks just for registering), and I was able to locate it in my Download folder and recover it anyway. It's good to get all this working before you download too many tracks.

This might help others. It's slightly more involved than some other download sites - or so it felt to me.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  I'm not much of a downloader..give me a CD any day.
                  However, I have been after the Rubbra symphonies for a while. They can be downloaded complete for £7.99 from Classics online. Did this today, and have got them all successfully burned to CD (I think) !
                  Great value, if a bit of a pain !
                  I remember my father telling me that he heard Rubbra entertaining the troops during WW2 and that he accompanied a sing-song round the old Joanna.

Comment

A welcome return to the Bargain thread for the EMI Bach to Wagner Sir Adrian Boult box, down to £14.98

Comment

That's a great price! Anyone who hasn't already bought this excellent box should get in quick!
                      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                        That's a great price! Anyone who hasn't already bought this excellent box should get in quick!
                        I have just got in quick - can't wait to hear those Battenburgs!! Quite a few duplications with the jolly old LPs but who cares at that price? Thanks for the alert.
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          I have just got in quick - can't wait to hear those Battenburgs!! Quite a few duplications with the jolly old LPs but who cares at that price? Thanks for the alert.
                          Don't think I've got much in the way of duplication so duly ordered!
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                            Damn it! I've only had the one vodka and apple juice tonight, but that threw me. I just could not think of the right name for those concertos for various instruments. In the end I Googled "battenberg concertos bach" to get me out of my misery. I just can't get on with Boult's versions. The bottom of the barrel in that collection, for my money. Give me W. Carlos over Boult any day in those works.

Comment

Ah, SD sets in! Happens to me too, sometimes, and I'm hopeless with people, faces and names. I haven't heard enough of the Boult box yet, but either my tastes are different from most of the others near here, or I've picked the wrong CDs to listen to, but so far I've not liked them very much. I've heard some of the Bach and Mozart CDs. I know there are things by Boult I do like, but these aren't them. Others have praised the Wagner pieces, but I'm not a great fan of Wqgner either.

Comment

Go straight for the Beethoven 6 Schubert 9 and Brahms 2

I am surprised that you do not like the Mozart - unless you are an unreconstructed HIPPite ! The Jupiter won non HIPP BAL only this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X