Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensive bargains!

For some this rather expensive way to get a 25% discount may present an opportunity!

Are any of the Glyndebourne CDs worth having? is it impossible to get them cheaper elsewhere?

In the meantime HMV seem to be offering 2 for 1 one for their CDs and DVDs which have an X sticker on them. I believe this offer finishes tomorrow - Friday 22nd March.

Comment

I recently thought I'd look at concerti grossi, and the works of Corelli amongst others. Presto Classical have the Brilliant Corelli edition for £20.20, though with postage this comes to about the same as those tax dodger people - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/B...Classics/94112

However, if you buy something else, to bring the total over £25, then postage is currently free.

How about harpsichord works by Rameau for £8, for example - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/sea...=Rameau+Belder total £28.20.

I'll probably order these unless our spotters see anything significantly better.

Comment

Hmm, I didn't know about that Corelli box, Dave...it looks very tempting and anything from Belder is usually a good bet. I understand his Rameau is pretty good, too, so I wouldn't hesitate.

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          He did indeed, record Kullervo which appears on the first incarnation of the set, consisting in total of 8 CDs; so there is in fact, quite a wealth of work which is not in the current 4 disc set.....
          The Kullervo can be found in a 2 CD Gemini set for a song with Ida Haendel's recordings of the Serenades and one or two duplications with the 4CD set .

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Hmm, I didn't know about that Corelli box, Dave...it looks very tempting and anything from Belder is usually a good bet. I understand his Rameau is pretty good, too, so I wouldn't hesitate.
            Seems they (Presto) are offering 30% off Early Music sets for a while - up to May any way - for example - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/ear...=11&w=Box+sets

I wonder if Galuppi is worth investigating more - I have liked what I heard so far. He appears in the list.

PS: Also Loeki Stardust Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Seems they (Presto) are offering 30% off Early Music sets for a while - up to May any way - for example - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/ear...=11&w=Box+sets

I wonder if Galuppi is worth investigating more - I have liked what I heard so far. He appears in the list.

PS: Also Loeki Stardust Collection
              and Sweelinck's 150 psalm settings, simply brilliant (comparable with Palestrina, di Lasso and Monteverdi)

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                and Sweelinck's 150 psalm settings, simply brilliant (comparable with Palestrina, di Lasso and Monteverdi)
                Sweelinck is a composer one doesn't hear much of these days, and his music doesn't seem to get much of an outing. Following your suggestion, I have now tuned in to Spotify, where I am currently listening to Jubilate Deo, having listened to various other tracks, such as Cantiones Sacrae, Gaude et lautare, Jerusalem, SwWV 168. It is indeed lovely, though I don't know that I'd want to have days listening to this, but I could cope with an hour a day.

Was the CD or set you mentioned the fairly large one costing around £60? Perhaps you could point it out in the list. Maybe this one - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Glossa/GCD922407 ?

Thanks for mentioning him.

Comment

Sweelinck is a composer one doesn't hear much of these days, and his music doesn't seem to get much of an outing. Following your suggestion, I have now tuned in to Spotify, where I am currently listening to Jubilate Deo, having listened to various other tracks, such as Cantiones Sacrae, Gaude et lautare, Jerusalem, SwWV 168. It is indeed lovely, though I don't know that I'd want to have days listening to this, but I could cope with an hour a day.

Was the CD or set you mentioned the fairly large one costing around £60? Perhaps you could point it out in the list. Maybe this one - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Glossa/GCD922407 ?

Thanks for mentioning him.
                  Yes Dave, that's the one
                  The original Dutch version (much more luxuriously, not to say lavishly documented in 4 volumes) is much more expensive.
                  There are two other volumes, his French and Italian vocal works, and the Cantiones Sacrae, i.e. the secular works not being a Psalm. Note that the more important to contrast the contents of a psalm, the more voices, up to 8. And the musical illustrations are sometimes straightforward, e.g. Psalm 150 (the 8 part motet Praise the Lord/ Or soit loué) where the singers express themselves as trumpets and drums.
                  Many (i.e. by far the best part, as I am not sure whether they all have this feature) use the original psalm melody as cantus firmus. And for those who don't know these calvinist inspired melodies (who does?): all these psalm melodies are included in the above mentioned set as well.

Of course there are also his harpsichord and organ works, which influenced starkly the Norther German (organ) school, up to an including JSBach.
                  Last edited by Guest; 23-03-13, 10:10.

Comment

This CD by John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7917841 - also appears to have music by Sweelinck, though I'm not sure if all the tracks are by him. Indeed they are not! It presents a lovely sound. I may have been misled into thinking the Jubilate Deo I mentioned earlier was by Sweelinck. In fact I think it was by Gabrielli. The worrying (??) thing about that CD is the many of the tracks sound very similar, irrespective of who composed them. Despite that, I do agree still that Sweelinck's music is worth listening to.

Comment

This CD by John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers - http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7917841 - also appears to have music by Sweelinck, though I'm not sure if all the tracks are by him. It presents a lovely sound.
                      Shows Sweelinck in the company of those who were influenced by him, like Schütz, Buxtehude and JSBach,
                      as well as contemporaries of whose music he likely knew, like di Lasso, Monteverdi and Victoria. Don't know that CD, but brilliantly programmed.

Comment

BRILLIANT CLASSICS TCHAIKOVSKY EDITION 60 CDs
                        Do I need this?
                        No - too much duplication, some performances rather undistinquished others rather elderly.
                        But it has all the operas, Ansermet's ballets and Pathetique, Endellions in the quartets.........

Still don't need it.
                        WHAT IF IT'S LESS THAN £15 DELIVERED?

Over to you.

Perhaps this should be on the Gloat thread?
                        Last edited by hafod; 26-03-13, 18:24. Reason: To add 'Gloat'

Comment

I don't know how you do it hafod!

Well received in IRR, I recall. (The Tchaikovsky Edition, not hafod. Although I'm sure he would be too )
                          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

Oh dear. And this week was going so well. Nothing ordered since a bargain David Diamond disc for £2 on Sunday....

until.......

Hafod certainly is on the case.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Oh dear. And this week was going so well. Nothing ordered since a bargain David Diamond disc for £2 on Sunday....
                              Well, all may still be well as they have yet to honour the price.....after all this set is now number 7 in the tax dodger's best seller list.

Comment

The seemingly indefatigable Pieter-Jan Belder has taken on the mammoth project of recording all 300 -odd pieces that make up the Fitzwilliam Virginal Book. His Scarlatti intégrale was good (I got it for under £30) and now these 2 CD sets of the FVB can now be had for under a fiver:

Volume 2 is apparently recorded on a 1604 Ruckers - early keyboard fans, take note!

Comment

Working...
                                X