Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Now [Myaskovsky set] gone up to around £38, with a download at about £25.
    As of 12.47, it's back down to £20.27!!!
    (S)he who hesitates is lost (or 'sloshed' as we used to say at my secondary modern in the 50s).

I think that 'algorithm' is a swanky word for random price generator.
    Last edited by hafod; 05-02-13, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      As of 12.47, it's back down to £20.27!!!
      (S)he who hesitates is lost (or 'sloshed' as we used to say at my secondary modern in the 50s).

I think that 'algorithm' is a swanky word for random price generator.
      Is it worth PMing ts about this?

The Silvestri ICON set is back down to £19 at ArkivMusic. Apparently they had a site update. Now ordered.

Comment

I used to do that with Neumann for reasons lost in the mists of time until I bought his earlier Dvorak box in one of Amazon's severe new release underpricing exercises (honoured on this occasion), and was pleasantly surprised. Dated sonics of course (most of it mono as I recall) - it is after all 60s/early 70s Supraphon sound - but a very fresh take with the idiomatic Czech Phil. Costs four times now what I paid for it.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0077DDWEE
        Neumann's Martinu cycle is excellent too.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
          Neumann's Martinu cycle is excellent too.
          Mike
          Thanks - I'd forgotten about this and have just dug out the lps. Some bizarre artwork (for my tastes) that seems to have been carried over to the cds.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            Is it worth PMing ts about this?

The Silvestri ICON set is back down to £19 at ArkivMusic. Apparently they had a site update. Now ordered.
            The price is offered until some date in April. Whether or not this constitutes a guarantee I'm not sure

Comment

i finally ordered the Myaskovsky at the £20 price thanks to eagle eyed boarders! Thanks people.

Now for the Schuman complete published symphonies, Rautavaara complete Symphonies, etc etc etc.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                The price is offered until some date in April. Whether or not this constitutes a guarantee I'm not sure
                I see its gone way up to £33.76 on Amazon - no contest then!

...or wouldn't be if I could get to their site!
                Last edited by cloughie; 06-02-13, 15:35.

Comment

Barbirolli fans will already have the EMI Sibelius symphony cycle (which includes some generous fillers), but others may like to be aware that the grocer has this for £8.99.
                  https://www.sainsburysentertainment....duct=E10052916
                  The postman delivered this set on Monday, and it's been enthralling me since then. I had these performances on LP in the '70s and it was like restarting an old friendship that I'd let languish for far too long! The CD remastering brings out terrific detail - I don't remember such vivid clarity in the woodwinds and brass from the LPs - if with a lttle "hiss" around some of the violin sound (page turns are also prominant at times - but none of Sir John's vocalizations!)

As for the perfomances: as good as it gets! Barbirolli's sense of balance, weight and timing is superb - and in this sound even better than I remembered. Anyone wanting a top-quality Sibelius cycle at a ridiculously low price (under £1.80 per disc, including P&P and with NECTAR points!) cannot go wrong with this.

Many Thanks to Hafod for the nudge: you've helped create an altogether-contented-with-himself fhg!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    The postman delivered this set on Monday, and it's been enthralling me since then. I had these performances on LP in the '70s and it was like restarting an old friendship that I'd let languish for far too long! The CD remastering brings out terrific detail - I don't remember such vivid clarity in the woodwinds and brass from the LPs - if with a lttle "hiss" around some of the violin sound (page turns are also prominant at times - but none of Sir John's vocalizations!)

As for the perfomances: as good as it gets! Barbirolli's sense of balance, weight and timing is superb - and in this sound even better than I remembered. Anyone wanting a top-quality Sibelius cycle at a ridiculously low price (under £1.80 per disc, including P&P and with NECTAR points!) cannot go wrong with this.

Many Thanks to Hafod for the nudge: you've helped create an altogether-contented-with-himself fhg!
                    His humming can be heard at certain points. The remastering is indeed, excellent: surely one of the bargains of the year thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      I bought this set for a friend at Christmas, Hitch and shelled out £24, feeling I'd got a tremendous bargain. Friend was delighted & thrilled too

You have got a top-of-the-range bargain - enjoy it!
                      Thank you, everyone, for the consoling and encouraging words. I would have replied sooner but this thread scares me. That Sibelius set is bringing me out in a cold sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                        I would have replied sooner but this thread scares me. That Sibelius set is bringing me out in a cold sweat.
                        Cold sweat

A. From Tapiola or 4th Symphony?

B. From buying it?

C. From not buying it.

D. From worrying about buying it?

E. Other?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          His humming can be heard at certain points.
                          Yes; more noticeable in the shorter works - but I "remember" some real grunts from the LP releases (at the start of the Seventh Symphony in particular) which I cannot hear on the CDs.

The remastering is indeed, excellent: surely one of the bargains of the year thus far.
                          I entirely agree.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Yes; more noticeable in the shorter works - but I "remember" some real grunts from the LP releases (at the start of the Seventh Symphony in particular) which I cannot hear on the CDs.

I entirely agree.
                            I think some his best vocals are in his Sinfonia of London Elgar Introduction and Allegro. A real singalongajohn towards the end.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              I think some his best vocals are in his Sinfonia of London Elgar Introduction and Allegro.
                              I could swear that on some Karajan recordings, von K fitted himself with a nasal microphone!

Comment

I love Sir John's Sibelius symphonies set . The RPO Second may be even better but they thrilled me to the marrow when i first got them . An element before then of all too often admiring rather than loving his music .

Mind you I am enjoying the Bournemouth SO/Berglund set enormously at the moment .

Comment

Working...
                                X