Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The RCA Living Stereo box set has reappeared at a modest price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00 - currently £79.56. That's about £1.35 per CD.

It was over £150 for some time. Might be fun with some who have nostalgia for older recordings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      The RCA Living Stereo box set has reappeared at a modest price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ls_o00_s00_i00 - currently £79.56. That's about £1.35 per CD.

It was over £150 for some time. Might be fun with some who have nostalgia for older recordings.
      It's £55.29 at Blah!!
      Shop for the latest and greatest games and accessories for Sony PlayStation, Microsoft Xbox, Nintendo Switch. A wide selection of Music CDs; TV and Movies (on DVD and Blu-rays). Check our prices be...

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the very good site prestoclassical has a Spring Clearout with up to 70% off:

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/pro...urb=401&page=1

A lot of bargains here, not least for those with an interest in collections of British music*.

Edit: and much else, including complete Faure chamber music with Capucons et al for around £10
        Last edited by aeolium; 08-02-13, 13:07.

Comment

Thanks, aeolium. A good spot!
          Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

That Presto sale list could be financially painful. I couldn't find a short list for a quick browse of the sale lines. Anybody else find one?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              That Presto sale list could be financially painful. I couldn't find a short list for a quick browse of the sale lines. Anybody else find one?
              No, I think you have to plough through the detail, ts.

There are also alarmingly reduced prices on DG DVDs and EMI Econs (e.g. Jochum complete Beethoven, Brahms and Bruckner symphonies, Bach B minor mass et al for £28)

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                Now you tell me! Huh - might just be able to change this - or I may end up missing out all together! Thanks, anyway.

Comment

Now you tell me! Huh - might just be able to change this - or I may end up missing out all together! Thanks, anyway.
                  It's been that price at Blah for at least a couple of weeks if that helps. I posted the link as soon as I saw your post. Hope you manage to effect a change.

Rostropovich fans may be interested in this 9cd set at £13.04. Some very eclectic repertoire.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                    It's been that price at Blah for at least a couple of weeks if that helps. I posted the link as soon as I saw your post. Hope you manage to effect a change.

Rostropovich fans may be interested in this 9cd set at £13.04. Some very eclectic repertoire.
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mstislav-Ros...=ITJRLK36IIL5N
                    More Yo-Yo pricing. Today the Rostropovich box is around £19 - very slightly cheaper from marketplace, but so little in it that might as well go with Amazon. There are some odd things there - Jolivet, Haiffter, Milhaud, Hoddinott, Honegger, Landowski et al. Could be interesting if the price drops again.

Thanks for the BlahDvd info for the Living Stereo box. I hope I sorted that all out now, so just have to wait and see what emerges. I've used them (BlahDVD) a few times before - and hopefully the box will be as described.

Comment

Is this a good price for a Verdi set? https://arkivmusic.eu/music/album/82...orks-75-CD-Set £108.99 until Feb 11th. This is the Decca one, The EMI box the Great Verdi Operas (Catalogue Number:4167452 has been pointed out before, and is significantly cheaper - usually under £50, but Verdi enthusiasts and the well heeled may think that £100+ is not a bad price for the Decca offering. Is this a quality offering - a must buy for enthusiasts?

Comment

Is this a good price for a Verdi set? https://arkivmusic.eu/music/album/82...orks-75-CD-Set £108.99 until Feb 11th. This is the Decca one, The EMI box the Great Verdi Operas (Catalogue Number:4167452 has been pointed out before, and is significantly cheaper - usually under £50, but Verdi enthusiasts and the well heeled may think that £100+ is not a bad price for the Decca offering. Is this a quality offering - a must buy for enthusiasts?
                        As far as I can see this is currently the best price altho' the Amazon price comparator gives Japan and Canada cheaper but any price advantage will, I think, be wiped out by import and other charges.

As to a quality offering there are others on these boards far more knowledeable on these matters than I am to answer that. All I can say is that I bought the Italian version that came out about 2 years ago which shares, if I recall correctly, about two thirds of the performances, and have much enjoyed the three quarters of the box I have so far listened to. I have two provisos. First, the early operas, although tuneful, have sufficient similarities to appear routine when listened to in any sequence. Played sparingly, they offer pleasure but beware 'box set syndrome' if played chronologically. Second, there are no libretti in this new box, just detailed cued synopses. Detailed contents below:
                        Shop classical & jazz new releases on CD, DVD, Blu-Ray, vinyl, and more, featuring today's top labels & artists!

Comment

Even more Yo-Yo pricing - this time downwards. The Verdi set at Arkivmusic.eu (msg 2575) is now down to £104.99 until 27th February.
                          I've been trying to compare with other sets to see if there's any overlap (e.g the EMI set). Although the set is marketed by Decca, it seems to have recordings from all the majors, including EMI. I can put off ordering this for a little while maybe - to take pressure off my bank balance.

Also, if any MBers would like to comment on what Verdi recordings they'd particularly like to have it could be of interest. It might actually be cheaper and arguably better to have some of the best recordings/performances of some of the most important operas etc., as well as the EMI Great operas set, though in fairness the Decca set does look pretty good. I have been surprised at how cheap some of the individual operas have now become if bought singly.

To save having to look back at msg 2575 - here is the link - https://arkivmusic.eu/music/album/82...orks-75-CD-Set

Comment

Has anyone seen this? 50 CDs of EMI Eminence recordings, with original jacket designs. Quite a few treasures within, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Has anyone seen this? 50 CDs of EMI Eminence recordings, with original jacket designs. Quite a few treasures within, I think.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EMI-Eminence...0670167&sr=1-1
                              There's a listing if you scroll down a little of the page linked to here:

I have too many of the better offering already, but it should be quite attractive to some.

Comment

Is it worth PMing ts about this?

The Silvestri ICON set is back down to £19 at ArkivMusic. Apparently they had a site update. Now ordered.
                                I can only see this on the Arkivmusic (Europe) site at over 30 Euros...I presume it has shot back up?

K.
                                "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
                                X