Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NLK1971 View Post
    Pletnev conducts Rachmaninov box is under £7 for 4 CDs.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachmaninov-...9664080&sr=1-1
    Also another 4cd box under £7 from the same series - Telemann Tafelmusik/Goebel.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
      Also another 4cd box under £7 from the same series - Telemann Tafelmusik/Goebel.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telemann-Taf...9667788&sr=8-5
      Oh wow...this must be one of the best bargains ever. It is a superb set....sadly I remember paying over £40 for it!

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        That's got to be bargain of the year so far! Mehta's "Aida" is stunning..... and Muti conducting all that Verdi; pure gold.
        It [EMI Verdi box set, 35 CDs] was down to £34.28 on Amazon yesterday. At that price ...

Comment

Amazon.uk has a whole host of reductions at the moment rather indiscriminately spread. For example, Myaskovsky/Svetlanov complete symphonies for £20.86; Bruckner Symphonies 4-9/Klemperer for £11.25 (beating the Grocer); Cortot 40cd EMI set for £37.78; Tennstedt complete Mahler (includes the live recordings of 5,6 and 7) for £16.30; Celi Sacred Music & Opera £11.88 and French & Russia​n Music for £12.18; EMI Delius 150th Anniversary Box for £24.23; Beethoven String Quartets/Alban Berg Quartet £11.32; Cantelli Icon £12.65; Tennstedt/Great EMI Recordings £13.73; Vaughan Williams symphonies/Boult £7.81; Bertini Mahler cycle £14.61...............

Comment

Amazon.uk has a whole host of reductions at the moment rather indiscriminately spread. For example, Myaskovsky/Svetlanov complete symphonies for £20.86; Bruckner Symphonies 4-9/Klemperer for £11.25 (beating the Grocer); Cortot 40cd EMI set for £37.78; Tennstedt complete Mahler (includes the live recordings of 5,6 and 7) for £16.30; Celi Sacred Music & Opera £11.88 and French & Russia​n Music for £12.18; EMI Delius 150th Anniversary Box for £24.23; Beethoven String Quartets/Alban Berg Quartet £11.32; Cantelli Icon £12.65; Tennstedt/Great EMI Recordings £13.73; Vaughan Williams symphonies/Boult £7.81; Bertini Mahler cycle £14.61...............
            I must stop reading your posts Hafod - they cost!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              I must stop reading your posts Hafod - they cost!
              Self control dear boy, self control!

If that is a problem then buy to lay them down for your retirement (wine is an obvious but nevertheless useful precedent ), or if already retired then an extended retirement. I am sure I read somewhere that great music is not just life-enhancing but also life-extending.

Comment

Self control dear boy, self control!

If that is a problem then buy to lay them down for your retirement (wine is an obvious but nevertheless useful precedent ), or if already retired then an extended retirement. I am sure I read somewhere that great music is not just life-enhancing but also life-extending.
                All power to your bargain-hunting elbow, hafod

Not only am I building a collection of pure joy, but I confess that the moment of excitement and anticipation on hearing the postie's knock at my door often makes my day

Comment

Self-control? What's that, then. As well as the other delights unearthed by our resident bargain-hunting expert (a post by Hafod in the Bargains thread always causes anticipatory excitement), this has come down in price:

Even more irresistible

Comment

Not my tipple but a great bargain (unless it is another of those pricing 'errors' which is then welched upon).

Erasmus van Rotterdam: In Praise of Folly. La Capella Reial de Catalunya & Hespèrion XXI, Jordi Savall, 6 SACDs - €11.71.

More details here:
                    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Alia%2BVox/AVSA9895
                    Great set. I love both the CDs with and without the (French) spoken texts.

Comment

The Miaskovsky is getting very hard to resist at £20..........
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        All power to your bargain-hunting elbow, hafod

Not only am I building a collection of pure joy, but I confess that the moment of excitement and anticipation on hearing the postie's knock at my door often makes my day
                        My postie keep bringing me nice things at bargain prices, and he is a very nice chap too.
                        I look forward to finding an addition to my "Collection of pure Joy" () when I get home from work.
                        The disappointment when stuff doesn't arrive as soon as hoped is bad though...where HAS my British Symphonic collection 10 CD set got to?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Not my tipple but a great bargain (unless it is another of those pricing 'errors' which is then welched upon).

Erasmus van Rotterdam: In Praise of Folly. La Capella Reial de Catalunya & Hespèrion XXI, Jordi Savall, 6 SACDs - €11.71.

More details here:
                          http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Alia%2BVox/AVSA9895
                          ... I had ordered it from amazon spain even before hafod's nudge : it arrived yesterday, and is marvellous.

One problem with these bargains. There is a good bibliography in this Erasmus box/book/CDs, leading me to think I ought to have the recent definitive edition of the Erasmus Adages. Which I find I can get from amazon - for about £500...

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            The Miaskovsky is getting very hard to resist at £20..........
                            It's a good set, and as you say ....

Note though, that if you're like me, you may find that you don't like everything in the set. Miaskovsky is a bit weird, but there's enough there to make it worthwhile. I started to get into Miaskovsky with some downloads from eMusic - not sure if they're still available. The downloads had the cello concerto, plus some symphonies. I haven't got to like the Bronze Horseman symphony (No 10) yet, though just picked it up again on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/album/0AFNxbHCOoKHtvXevCtxYs for another listen. As I recall, I enjoyed symphony 15, and as a result of that introduction I went to the live performance of Symphony 6 by Jurowski a few years ago at the RFH - http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co....rchestra-45013 which impressed me less than I'd hoped.

Go for it anyway!
                            Last edited by Dave2002; 02-02-13, 14:47.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... ...There is a good bibliography in this Erasmus box/book/CDs, leading me to think I ought to have the recent definitive edition of the Erasmus Adages. Which I find I can get from amazon - for about £500...
                              I am not the only one struggling then....

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... I had ordered it from amazon spain even before hafod's nudge : it arrived yesterday, and is marvellous.

One problem with these bargains. There is a good bibliography in this Erasmus box/book/CDs, leading me to think I ought to have the recent definitive edition of the Erasmus Adages. Which I find I can get from amazon - for about £500...
                                Vinteuil, have you got the "Forgotten Kingdom" set?
                                If so, what do you think of it?
                                I do prefer that 3CD set slightly to the Erasmus-set, but that of course is completely personal.

Haven't heard the Jeanne d'Arc 2CD-set yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X