Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

When I see the name 'Hafod' in the bargains thread, I feel that little frisson of excitement about what new wonder has been ferreted out by our Capo di Capi of bargain-finders.
    I second this Top Tribute HD

Comment

• Parry1912
      • Nov 2010

When I see the name 'Hafod' in the bargains thread, I feel that little frisson of excitement about what new wonder has been ferreted out by our Capo di Capi of bargain-finders.
      Sounds familiar!
      Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Same here!
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jut1972
          • Jun 2013

The 60 cd Sony beethoven box looks like it is being re-released. Jpc.de and amazon.de have it for 40 euro.
          Comes to 37 quid on amazon with shipping and amazon currency converter.

Here's the details on jpc:

Die CD Ludwig van Beethoven: Beethoven-Edition (Sony) jetzt probehören und portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Ludwig van Beethoven gibt es im Shop.

Comment

• robk
            • Nov 2010

Just picked up my Verdi Box from the sorting office. I was out and it wouldn't go through the letter box. Thank you hafod for sharing your amazing discoveries. My knowledge of the operas is very limited. Many hours of delight to look forward to.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by robk View Post
              I was out and it wouldn't go through the letter box.
              For that you'd need a Rigaletter box. Happy listening!

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jut1972 View Post
                The 60 cd Sony beethoven box looks like it is being re-released. Jpc.de and amazon.de have it for 40 euro.
                Comes to 37 quid on amazon with shipping and amazon currency converter.

Here's the details on jpc:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/deta...n/hnum/1028313
                Could be good, though note that Zinman's Beethoven has just been re-released in a box of Zinman's recordings which includes his Mahler Symphonies. SACD enthusiasts might prefer to buy this Beethoven box, and pick up Zinmn's Mahler on SACDs some other way. Of course one could buy both boxes - or neither!

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  For that you'd need a Rigaletter box. Happy listening!
                  Groan!

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                    For that you'd need a Rigaletter box.
                    reminds me of 'Some Like It Hot!'
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Mark Meldon View Post
                      Yes, I was referring to the ebay lot. Whilst there are many excellent titles amongst the collection, so many of these will be/have been reissued in bumper boxes/downloads for not a lot, the collection will have suffered from severe deflation as far as the price is concerned. The value is, of course, different.

Bryn is right that the £50 delivery charge + no return is a disincentive, as that covers the cash value of about half the collection.

My guess is that a dealer will acquire and then list separately.

I wonder who the reviewer was/is?
                      It went for £230 (+ £50 p&p)

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        It went for £230 (+ £50 p&p)
                        I forgot about this. i wasn't going to pay that much.

Comment

• Mark Meldon

£280 inc postage does seem quite a lot for these CDs, especially as most of the packaging has been mutilated! I certainly hope that the new owner derives lots of pleasure from the collection though!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

When I see the name 'Hafod' in the bargains thread, I feel that little frisson of excitement about what new wonder has been ferreted out by our Capo di Capi of bargain-finders. So, many thanks again, Hafod, for this amazing bargain.
                            Me too.

In this case though I didn't bite.
                            Verdi operas,even at this ridiculous price,I would never listen to them I don't think.
                            But it sort of justifies adding another £10.99's worth to my ever growing Weinberg collection.,because I'm using the £10.99 I would have spent of the Verdi,I think,erm....

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Me too.

In this case though I didn't bite.
                              Verdi operas,even at this ridiculous price,I would never listen to them I don't think.
                              But it sort of justifies adding another £10.99's worth to my ever growing Weinberg collection.,because I'm using the £10.99 I would have spent of the Verdi,I think,erm....
                              edge - I agree with you about Hafod's tips and I have used them in the past H thanks - but I also agree with you about the Verdi - I would be unlikely to listen to them - I'm currently enjoying the boxes of Giulini which are being issued.

Comment

• robk
                                • Nov 2010

Having bitten on the Verdi bargain. Any thoughts about sources of libretti with English translations to go with them?

Comment

Working...
                                X