Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
    Free of charge, and out of copyright, a nice transfer of Weber's Bassoon concerto with:

Gwydion Brooke
    Liverpool PO
    Sir Malcolm Sargent
    r. 1947

http://shellackophile.blogspot.co.uk/

Ooh that's the troublesome Josef Holbrooke's son, according to someone on the boards. He's very good, I'm told.............

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
      Ooh that's the troublesome Josef Holbrooke's son, according to someone on the boards. He's very good, I'm told.............
      Ah the sins of the father, etc

Sounds a lovely offer PJPJ

Comment

I have just ordered the Barshai set of Shostakovich Symphonies second hand from Amazon Market Place for £8.19 including postage. There are some good prices there at the moment. I am missing numbers 13 & 14 and Petrenko hasn't got round to them yet so this seemed a worthwhile opportunity.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich...7894243&sr=1-1

Comment

Originally posted by robk View Post
          I have just ordered the Barshai set of Shostakovich Symphonies second hand from Amazon Market Place for £8.19 including postage. There are some good prices there at the moment. I am missing numbers 13 & 14 and Petrenko hasn't got round to them yet so this seemed a worthwhile opportunity.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich...7894243&sr=1-1
          Saw this in a charity shop just before Christmas, for £6.00. But, as I already have Haitink and Janssons, I passed on it.

Comment

The Barshai is an excellent choice, particularly in the less well known symphonies, and his Leningrad ranks with the best, making it a really musical experience with less bombast than some produce. I think this is an indispensible set, particular at this price.

Comment

Thank you Ferretfancy. I am looking forward to its arrival.

Comment

I should like to see Berglund's Shostakovich recordings back in the catalogue . His Leningrad was my introduction to the work on an inherited set of the LPs in their SLS box .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                  I should like to see Berglund's Shostakovich recordings back in the catalogue . His Leningrad was my introduction to the work on an inherited set of the LPs in their SLS box .
                  You may be interested in this.

Includes Berglund's 5 10 and 11.

Comment

Interesting - thanks. But cheaper (with delivery) from the UK site.

Comment

5 and 11 courtesy of a charity shop late last year. They are indeed excellent performances and I would like to hear a complete cycle, if one such was recorded.

I picked up

Comment

Just noticed that MDT are offering the 6 hours+ DVD (audio only, and playable on DVD video players) version of Morton Feldman's SQ2 (Flux Quartet) for just £16.35 plus p&p:

Comment

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                          5 and 11 courtesy of a charity shop late last year. They are indeed excellent performances and I would like to hear a complete cycle, if one such was recorded.

I picked up
                          I think he only did 5 7 10 and 11 EMI BournemouthSO and 8 with RussianNO on Pentatone.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I think he only did 5 7 10 and 11 EMI BournemouthSO and 8 with RussianNO on Pentatone.
                            Looking at Amazon there appears also to have been a recording of the Sixth in Bournemouth too .

Comment

The Franck complete chamber music reveiwed on CD Review yesterday is available as an Amazon download for £7.49. I enjoyed the clips that Andrew played and this seems a good bargain for the 4 CD's.
                              http://www.amazon.co.uk/C%C3%A9sar-F..._album_lnk_alt

Comment

Originally posted by robk View Post
                                The Franck complete chamber music reveiwed on CD Review yesterday is available as an Amazon download for £7.49. I enjoyed the clips that Andrew played and this seems a good bargain for the 4 CD's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/C%C3%A9sar-F..._album_lnk_alt
                                Does look a bargain compared with nearly £29 for the CDs, if you don't mind mp3s.

Does anyone know if Amazon downloads give you anything in the way of notes? The last commercial one I did (NC, from another source) gave nothing - I even had to find the track listing from other sites on the web.

This seems very poor when in my experience the majority of private downloads from enthusiasts' blogs do give such details, usually including cover images.

(Pristine, for instance, give the information and artwork freely elsewhere on their site.)

Comment

Working...
                                X