Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Self-control? What's that, then. As well as the other delights unearthed by our resident bargain-hunting expert (a post by Hafod in the Bargains thread always causes anticipatory excitement), this has come down in price:

Even more irresistible.
    Ouch! I don't make NY resolutions, but if I had resolved not to buy any more CDs that resolution would now be going out of the window. The listing for that Silvestri box is here - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/7233472 I have been waiting for some of these individual performances for some time now. HS might want to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Ouch! I don't make NY resolutions, but if I had resolved not to buy any more CDs that resolution would now be going out of the window. The listing for that Silvestri box is here - http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/EMI/7233472 I have been waiting for some of these individual performances for some time now. HS might want to comment.
      Thanks for the alert - a more complete tracklisting here.
      Constantin Silvestri: Complete EMI Recordings | Constantin Silvestri was born in Bucharest, Romania on 31st May 1913. His mother had to bring him up as bot

Comment

It's a good set, and as you say ....

Note though, that if you're like me, you may find that you don't like everything in the set. Miaskovsky is a bit weird, but there's enough there to make it worthwhile. I started to get into Miaskovsky with some downloads from eMusic - not sure if they're still available. The downloads had the cello concerto, plus some symphonies. I haven't got to like the Bronze Horseman symphony (No 10) yet, though just picked it up again on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/album/0AFNxbHCOoKHtvXevCtxYs for another listen. As I recall, I enjoyed symphony 15, and as a result of that introduction I went to the live performance of Symphony 6 by Jurowski a few years ago at the RFH - http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co....rchestra-45013 which impressed me less than I'd hoped.

Go for it anyway!
        Thanks for that Dave. I think at that price , as you say, there will be plenty to enjoy, even if it isn't all out of the very top drawer.Think I'll give it a bash...though there are plenty of other calls on the February money...and not only music !!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          Self-control? What's that, then. As well as the other delights unearthed by our resident bargain-hunting expert (a post by Hafod in the Bargains thread always causes anticipatory excitement), this has come down in price:

Even more irresistible
          Not sure about qualified irresistance. IMO something is either irresistible or not. Take the Silvestri box at £24.98 delivered as advertised in the link in the quote above. Is that irresistible or not? The 'even more' suggests that resistance is not viable in this case and that it is a only matter time of when to submit. Now consider the same box in the link below for £20.60 delivered. Time to flash the plastic I think (or perhaps to wait if you can be sufficiently certain that the price will remain unchanged until the advertised 26th April). What a dilemma!!

BTW there are a number of other Icons from this source at potentially irresistible prices as was flagged up on this thread a while ago.
          Last edited by hafod; 02-02-13, 19:05. Reason: spelling!

Comment

It's a good set, and as you say ....

Note though, that if you're like me, you may find that you don't like everything in the set. Miaskovsky is a bit weird, but there's enough there to make it worthwhile. I started to get into Miaskovsky with some downloads from eMusic - not sure if they're still available. The downloads had the cello concerto, plus some symphonies. I haven't got to like the Bronze Horseman symphony (No 10) yet, though just picked it up again on Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/album/0AFNxbHCOoKHtvXevCtxYs for another listen. As I recall, I enjoyed symphony 15, and as a result of that introduction I went to the live performance of Symphony 6 by Jurowski a few years ago at the RFH - http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co....rchestra-45013 which impressed me less than I'd hoped.

Go for it anyway!
            That set has been one of my major discoveries of recent months.
            At 0.77p per symphony it's a steal.

Comment

Anybody else noticed Amazon prices yo-yoing literally by the second?

I went into my wish list this morning to check on an item, found it had gone up since last night, did a quick refresh and found it had suddenly dropped to 12% lower than when I'd first entered it and over £2 lower than half a second before!
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                Not sure about qualified irresistance. IMO something is either irresistible or not. Take the Silvestri box at £24.98 delivered as advertised in the link in the quote above. Is that irresistible or not? The 'even more' suggests that resistance is not viable in this case and that it is a only matter time of when to submit. Now consider the same box in the link below for £20.60 delivered. Time to flash the plastic I think (or perhaps to wait if you can be sufficiently certain that the price will remain unchanged until the advertised 26th April). What a dilemma!!

BTW there are a number of other Icons from this source at potentially irresistible prices as was flagged up on this thread a while ago.
                Looks attractive - never used arkiv - seem to remember discussions on here over problems ordering Brilliant boxes - can anyone report any problems or were all deliveries OK?
                Also doesn't look the most easy site to search - no Silvestri when trying to find under conductors.

Comment

La Musique des Lumières / Music of the Enlightenment - Limited Edition 30 CD set [Box Set, Limited Edition]

currently £15 from the amazon!

It's a wonderful set

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Looks attractive - never used arkiv - seem to remember discussions on here over problems ordering Brilliant boxes - can anyone report any problems or were all deliveries OK?
                    Also doesn't look the most easy site to search - no Silvestri when trying to find under conductors.
                    Despite the rather odd way of multiple orders being sent out, I have to say that I received all my Brilliant boxes without any problem. And there is no doubt that the prices were extraordinarily low.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Anybody else noticed Amazon prices yo-yoing literally by the second?

I went into my wish list this morning to check on an item, found it had gone up since last night, did a quick refresh and found it had suddenly dropped to 12% lower than when I'd first entered it and over £2 lower than half a second before!
                      yup, the Myaskovsky has returned to £27.

This affects us at work, apparently the algorithms are changing the price many times per day.... per hour.....
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

This affects us at work, apparently the algorithms are changing the price many times per day.... per hour.....
                        Still only £1 per symphony.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Still only £1 per symphony.
                          I kind of knew you were going to post that !!
                          I'll wait a bit...£27 is the current "real" price I suspect...may yet come down again.
                          Or I can listen to them at the library for now !!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            My beef with Archiv was that they take payment immediately and not on despatch. While my order was fulfilled in three parts the last was seven weeks after they took payment. They do send an email on despatch but when it is only part of the order they fail to tell you what has been sent. If one can live with this indifferent service then my experience is that prices in the sale section are very good, the order does come (eventually in some cases) and it is well packed/protected. As to the search facility, Archiv is proud of it (somewhere on the site there is reference to this), but I often find it less than helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

What are these algorithms monitoring that makes it so essential to keep changing prices (sometimes just pennies and other times several pounds) and pissing off potential customers in the process?

Comment

Thanks Hafod and Micky D for info on archiv - The Silvestri ICON is attractive - I need to balance cost of additions against what I have already.

Comment

Working...
                                X