• Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
    You won't be wanting these then, Dave.

Historic performances at about £12 a time:

Wagner Operas I

Wagner Operas II

Wagner Operas - The Ring
    I'll come back about this later. I do like some Wagner, but I feel a little goes a long way.

That Michel Dalberto box set of Schubert piano music mentioned not too long ago is really good value, and seems very well recorded. The performances are, I would say, good to very good based on what I've heard so far. Individual pieces may be better elsewhere, but this at under £20 is superb value. Extremely enjoyable, and I'd recommend it highly. If my opinion changes as I work through the box I'll let you know, but I'm not really expecting that to happen.

Go for it!

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      Mozart: Complete Sonatas Maria Joao Pires - the 1974 Denon recording. £12.

Perhaps some wise owl can suggest whether this or her more expensive DG recording is preferable.
      I'd still like the above query answered by a wise owl. This first "traversal"™ now released by Brilliant is still half the price of the later DG traversal™. Around 11 quid. This review even finds it preferable to the maturer set: http://www.musicweb-international.co...ires_92733.htm

Wise owls hoot away.

™ = Andrew MacGregor
      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

I'd still like the above query answered by a wise owl.
        Not a wise owl myself but Richard Wigmore reviewing the set in Gramophone in July 1990 finished by saying:

"The recorded sound, like the playing, is agreeable but a bit shallow and confined, with insufficient depth to the bass. This set may be considerably cheaper than the cycles by Uchida and Schiff but it will satisfy only those Mozartians who value restraint, tastefulness and a pellucid cantabile style above all else."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but perhaps worth a punt at this price.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
          • Mar 2013

Not a wise owl myself but Richard Wigmore reviewing the set in Gramophone in July 1990 finished by saying:

"The recorded sound, like the playing, is agreeable but a bit shallow and confined, with insufficient depth to the bass. This set may be considerably cheaper than the cycles by Uchida and Schiff but it will satisfy only those Mozartians who value restraint, tastefulness and a pellucid cantabile style above all else."

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but perhaps worth a punt at this price.
          Thanks, Parry. I had read somewhere, though, that Gramophone were generally lukewarm about many of Pires's Mozart releases. This comment "those Mozartians who value restraint, tastefulness and a pellucid cantabile style above all else" is clearly indicative of someone with a very specific Mozartian palate - a list of stylistic tick boxes which Pires obviously hasn't met.

Whereas I find Pires revelatory in Mozart, and Uchida and Schiff too mannered in their phrasing.

I would agree about the sound, though. It's not a pleasing as the DG recordings but her playing is of such a hypnotic brilliance that I stop noticing it after a few bars. As Amazon.fr have it for under 10 euros, this may well be my first punt of the week.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

I listened yesterday to Pires playing K466 with the Orchestra Mozart and Abbado, it's coupled with K595. I have many versions of this wonderful concerto, but this one is one of the most natural I have heard, with perfect accord between Pires and Abbado's orchestra. I'm eagerly looking forward to hearing the coupling. This is a live performance, very warmly recorded, if not with the ultimate clarity but satisfying on all counts, and the darkness of the opening is not played down.

Comment

• amateur51

Thanks, Parry. I had read somewhere, though, that Gramophone were generally lukewarm about many of Pires's Mozart releases. This comment "those Mozartians who value restraint, tastefulness and a pellucid cantabile style above all else" is clearly indicative of someone with a very specific Mozartian palate - a list of stylistic tick boxes which Pires obviously hasn't met.

Whereas I find Pires revelatory in Mozart, and Uchida and Schiff too mannered in their phrasing.

I would agree about the sound, though. It's not a pleasing as the DG recordings but her playing is of such a hypnotic brilliance that I stop noticing it after a few bars. As Amazon.fr have it for under 10 euros, this may well be my first punt of the week.
              You've put it well, Throppers but I'd observe that you can only play one recording at a time (in the normal run of things ) so if you find that you like a performance then to blazes with the critic whose views do not accord with yours. All power to your consuming and discriminating elbow

Comment

• Parry1912
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                if you find that you like a performance then to blazes with the critic whose views do not accord with yours.

I'm sure we've all got recordings we love but that were disliked by a critic (or two).

Of course, if the review in Gramophone had been by Bryce Morrison, I would have checked to see if it had later turned up as a Joyce Hatto recording that he had raved over!
                Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• Thropplenoggin
                  • Mar 2013

You've put it well, Throppers but I'd observe that you can only play one recording at a time (in the normal run of things ) so if you find that you like a performance then to blazes with the critic whose views do not accord with yours. All power to your consuming and discriminating elbow
                  However, my query was: which of the two Pires "traversals" of the Mozart sonatas to get,the later DG being much more expensive than the earlier Denon recordings. Is her playing as fluid and unmannered in the later recordings? The Gramophone reference was merely to point out that the critic seems to have an anti-Pires bias, because she doesn't play Mozart the way he/she likes Mozart piano music played.

Comment

• amateur51

I'm sure we've all got recordings we love but that were disliked by a critic (or two).

Of course, if the review in Gramophone had been by Bryce Morrison, I would have checked to see if it had later turned up as a Joyce Hatto recording that he had raved over!
                    I had occasion to chat briefly with Bryce Morrison after Hattogate. I wanted to explain to him that he had been a great guide to me in my listening to recordings of pianists and piano music for decades and how much I felt that I owed him on this account but the poor chap, whilst appreciative of my enthusiasm, seemed entirely broken.

I hope that maybe time and distance has enabled him to reflect that he was a victim of a prank and although he has been mocked publicly, there are plenty of us out there who admire and value his writing.

Comment

• amateur51

However, my query was: which of the two Pires "traversals" of the Mozart sonatas to get,the later DG being much more expensive than the earlier Denon recordings. Is her playing as fluid and unmannered in the later recordings? The Gramophone reference was merely to point out that the critic seems to have an anti-Pires bias, because she doesn't play Mozart the way he/she likes Mozart piano music played.
                      I'd say go for the cheaper version and if you like it and find it satisfying, then stop and give thanks.

If not, then proceed to the more expensive version.

The most you'll have lost is the cost of the cheaper version, which is as you have pointed out available for peanuts.

Simples.

Comment

• amateur51

Jlw has pointed out what a wonderful thing the Berlin PO Digital Concert Hall is. They have now expanded their 9.99EUR taster ticket from 2-days to 7-days

What a bargain treat for yourself! - and you can even buy and send one as a gift which is exactly what I shall do for a music-loving friend when he's had his heart operation this week and is back home
                        Last edited by Guest; 18-03-13, 19:01. Reason: include the link, you divot!

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

The BPO Digital Concert Hall seem to have moved their live relays from a Saturday to a Friday which is a major disappointment to me as I find it practically impossible to make the 7pm (UK time) start so I would need to view in the archive.

There is a free live relay of Mahler's 9th from Jonathon Nott and the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie tomorrow (Tuesday) if anyone is interested.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• murieston

I think the Presto Spring Clearout has been mentioned before- but for me the best bargain would be the complete Beethoven Violin Sonatas by Capucon and Braley. http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Virgin/6420010 I absolutely love their playing.
                            The three CDs are currently £6.91 plus £1.50 p and p. I have the complete set by Faust and Melnikov and the Wigmore Hall sessions by Ibragimova and Tiberghien both sets are magnificent but the Capucon and Braley set is in no way inferior. For the money, however, the Capucon and Braley set is a no-brainer. It's wonderful. Buy it before it disappears.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by murieston View Post
                              I think the Presto Spring Clearout has been mentioned before- but for me the best bargain would be the complete Beethoven Violin Sonatas by Capucon and Braley [ ... ]
                              For the money [ ... ] the Capucon and Braley set is a no-brainer. It's wonderful. Buy it before it disappears.
                              Thanks for mentioning this. I also have the other sets you mention (as well as several others, of course). Do I really need another? Most definitely, when it's Capuçon and it's that price!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Reason: include the link, you divot!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X