Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you like Simon Rattle and/or Stravinsky, you might be interested in this:

Comment

Good morning hafod (msg 267)

I did look, and hesitated, as I saw that the recordings were from 1952 onwards, therefore some may be of 'old' quality, shall I say. I also thought "do I REALLY, really need this?" So, although it would have been a 'nice to have, but not essential' addition to my collection, passed it up - even at the reduced price!! Maybe I was foolish....
      Last edited by visualnickmos; 20-08-11, 08:56. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Good morning hafod (msg 267)

I did look, and hesitated, as I saw that the recordings were from 1952 onwards, therefore some may be of 'old' quality, shall I say. I also thought "do I REALLY, really need this?" So, although it would have been a 'nice to have, but not essential' addition to my collection, passed it up - even at the reduced price!! Maybe I was foolish....
        I agree that the 'do I really need this?' dilemma is a constant factor not least when funds and space are limited and I find myself more and more these days erring on the side of caution. In this case I took the plunge because more years ago than I care to remember I had a number of Steinberg LPs and nostalgia kicked in. Early '50s sound does not normally bother me - indeed as I type I am listening to Anthony Collins' Sibelius 1 in mono on Australian Eloquence and am suprised at the quality of the sound. In addition a 20cd box like this bought for £16 can always be resold in the Amazonmarket place and the outlay recouped. It might not sell immediately, but in my experience such a box as this if it is in fine condition and reasonably priced, will sell.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
          Amazon has just dropped the price of the impending (12 September) 20cd Icon box of William Steinberg from £48 to £15.83. Interestingly it is the same price price as the impending Icons from Mackerras and Handley which have only 5cds each so how long before they realise? For 'pre-releases' they say that if the price drops further before issue then the lowest price is charged. Presumably, if the price rises then the lowest price is also charged?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/William-Stei...=1SYJ8VEWLSIVJ
          Thanks Hafod, caught the lower price window!

Comment

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
            Thanks Hafod, caught the lower price window!
            I too managed to get in in time. I was a little surprised not to see a recording of the Mahler re-orchestration of Beethoven's 9th in the listing. I have a memory of finding such a recording, I think on the MFP or CFP label, back in the late '60s. Presumably, the recording was not an EMI original. Anyone here able to offer more info on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I too managed to get in in time. I was a little surprised not to see a recording of the Mahler re-orchestration of Beethoven's 9th in the listing. I have a memory of finding such a recording, I think on the MFP or CFP label, back in the late '60s. Presumably, the recording was not an EMI original. Anyone here able to offer more info on it?
              Some of Steinberg's Beethoven in stereo appeared on the Command label, then on MCA. The earlier ones were on Capitol, issued on EMI.

The stereo 9th does use the Mahler edition

Ella Lee (soprano)
              Joanna Simon (mezzo)
              Richard Kness (tenor)
              Thomas Paul (bass)
              Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh

available from ReDiscovery

Comment

Thanks for that, PJPJ. In searching I came across a torrent offering al 9 symphonies in FLAC format. However, apart from it being a torrent, which raises copyright questions, it was not entirely clear which of Steinberg's Beethoven symphonic surveys were encoded therein. The ReDiscovery "vbr 320kbps" mp3 offer for $5 looks tempting.

Comment

In a junk shop in Cowes (I spent Friday on the IOW) I found Beethoven's Triple Concerto and Violin Romances (Zacharias/Hoesscher/Schiff/LGO/Masur) and Beethoven VC (Schneiderhan/BPO/Jochum) for £1 the pair.

Even more of a bargain (IMO) was a framed Royal Academy of Arts Poster for the 2001 Frank Auerbach Exhibition.
                  I asked "How much is this?"
                  The guy replied "Well? Ten quid any good?"
                  In what I thought sounded like enthusiasm for a fair deal I replied "Oooh!"
                  Obviously I was not enthusiastic enough because he said "OK. Five?"
                  What more could I do?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                    In a junk shop in Cowes (I spent Friday on the IOW) I found Beethoven's Triple Concerto and Violin Romances (Zacharias/Hoesscher/Schiff/LGO/Masur) and Beethoven VC (Schneiderhan/BPO/Jochum) for £1 the pair.

Even more of a bargain (IMO) was a framed Royal Academy of Arts Poster for the 2001 Frank Auerbach Exhibition.
                    I asked "How much is this?"
                    The guy replied "Well? Ten quid any good?"
                    In what I thought sounded like enthusiasm for a fair deal I replied "Oooh!"
                    Obviously I was not enthusiastic enough because he said "OK. Five?"
                    What more could I do?
                    Chris
                    I came to this thread with Steinberg in mind, of which more later.

But your visit to Cowes for some reason led me to a limerick:

As I stood in a junkshop in Cowes
                    I know I had taken my vows*
                    But I saw these CDs
                    And a box of LPs
                    And that poster’s superlative wows.

*A reference to the fact that you swore you wouldn’t buy any more CDs this month, but you had to look!

Schneiderhan's Beethoven VC, along with the Milstein/Steinberg are among my all time favourites.

Comment

Here's a nice door stopper. No obvious way of finding out what it contains.

Comment

I can see Ashkenazy (Schubert??), Lupu, Kertesz and a Oiseau-Lyre which is encouraging, as long as there isn't too much Stones, Kenneth MacKellar, etc lurking further back in the box
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Here's a nice door stopper. No obvious way of finding out what it contains.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decca-Sound-.../dp/B005D51II0
                          A few more clues here:

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                            Looks like it will be one of those boxes with those annoying few discs which have slipped the reissue radar and would be a happy addition to the heaving shelves plus a vast majority that are already on them and then a couple which you would not like to see anywhere near them, but at less than £1.50 per disc worth a brief second glance.

Comment

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                              Current bonkers price of £34.99 for 37 discs at play.com seems irresistible:

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

Comment

I certainly did not resist it at that same price on amazon.co.uk a couple of weeks ago. Talk about needing to strike while the iron is hot, (and no, that was not intended as some sort of homophobic double entendre).

Comment

Working...
                                X