Bargains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahlerei

Anyone care to comment on these Abravanel performances of the Mahler symphonies? IIRC they were originally Vanguard releases.

Comment

• hafod
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Not only ....

If you're in the market for the complete Roussel symphonies + other orchestral works, you might consider ...

Amateur51: Thank you for this - duly ordered.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
        Anyone care to comment on these Abravanel performances of the Mahler symphonies? IIRC they were originally Vanguard releases.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symph...9214322&sr=1-1
        I got the 7th in its Philips LP incarnation (I could not afford the competing Bernstein at the time). It has wrong notes in the timps in the third movement but is well recorded. I have the 6th and 8th on CD. They have each only been played once and I feel no great need to spin them again. I'm certainly not tempted by the box, even at the lowest U.K. Amazon marketplace price (the U.S. offerings risk heavy import duty charges).

Comment

• reinerfan
          • Nov 2010

The Furtwängler Rome "Ring" by Membran is at base.com at £13.99 or from amazon.uk at £15.99. The transfers seem fine to me. What a bargain!

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

Not sure if it's been mentioned before, but this site has downloads of out of copyright material for 1 Euro an LP or box...

The biggest drawback is that they are using a low bitrate of 192 kbps.
            Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

If you can get this box set for less than £80 (you probably can), then it looks like a great set for someone starting a collection http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Decca/4782826

Some of us will have some of the pieces/recordings/performances already, but it may stiil be reasonable value.

Maybe a Christmas present - early or otherwise, though check who reads these pages.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symph...9214322&sr=1-1
                I picked up the 4th from Oxfam a while back. Bearable but unexciting I would say. One point of interest is that the sop. soloist is Netania Davrath who recorded a good early LP set of the Songs of the Auvergne - slightly more 'folky', less 'prima donna' then we generally get today. But I don't recall her as particularly striking in the Mahler.
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  Not only ....
                  If you're in the market for the complete Roussel symphonies + other orchestral works, you might consider ...

This offer may only be open for today (Fri 21 October 2011) tho, so get cracking!
                  You were right! Now £9.65

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                    I picked up the 4th from Oxfam a while back. Bearable but unexciting I would say. One point of interest is that the sop. soloist is Netania Davrath who recorded a good early LP set of the Songs of the Auvergne - slightly more 'folky', less 'prima donna' then we generally get today. But I don't recall her as particularly striking in the Mahler.
                    I'm not familiar with her Mahler, but I consider Davrath's Songs of the Auvergne is the recording to hear, even if you subsequently prefer others. (I don't.)

Comment

• murieston

New to this forum so apologies if this 'bargain' has already been mentioned. How about the Bruckner set by Wand and the Cologne orchestra? It may be variable but never less than very listenable. Available on Amazon for around £14 + postage which for 9 Cds is good value. Amazon itself has these discs for around £20 but other sellers have them from £13.44 +£1.26 postage. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sym...9481018&sr=8-1

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by murieston View Post
                        New to this forum so apologies if this 'bargain' has already been mentioned. How about the Bruckner set by Wand and the Cologne orchestra? It may be variable but never less than very listenable. Available on Amazon for around £14 + postage which for 9 Cds is good value. Amazon itself has these discs for around £20 but other sellers have them from £13.44 +£1.26 postage. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sym...9481018&sr=8-1
                        Hello, murieston. Doesn't matter if it's been mentioned - after almost 500 posts it's a question of what goes around comes around anyway!
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Welcome to the forum. murieston. Those Sony boxes are tremendous value and I have a few of them now. The Levine Mahler set is a real winner and while the Wand Bruckner is, as you say, variable it still represents excellent value.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Curalach

New to this forum so apologies if this 'bargain' has already been mentioned. How about the Bruckner set by Wand and the Cologne orchestra?
                            Welcome murieston. I echo ff's response. I bought this set in April at £16.99 from Amazon and have found it a delight. It's well worth a reminder.
                            Some of us keep an eagle eye on this thread as it has thrown up a number of remarkable bargains.

Comment

• amateur51

Welcome murieston!

I reckon you've got right into the groove with this recommendation

Keep them coming and you'll find plenty of others who'll join you on this wonderful if occasionally expensive thread

Comment

• Tapiola
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by reinerfan View Post
                                The Furtwängler Rome "Ring" by Membran is at base.com at £13.99 or from amazon.uk at £15.99. The transfers seem fine to me. What a bargain!
                                reinerfan,

Do you happen to know the provenance of Membran's transfers? AFAIK, there are CD transfers by EMI (recently re-released) and Gebhardt (more detailed but harsher in aural impact). Might Membran have used one of these sets, or might they have gone back to the EMI lps from the 1970s?

Comment

Working...
                                X